Cover and stopper

Playing stoper/cover doesnt seems to work as it should and its exploited very offen by AI .For me defence is more stable when both defenders play with same mentality,also is very important for defenders to be pacey.Pace it seems an overpowered attribute in fm 11 and its maybe to effective.

Care to elaborate?

A covering CB is a player who is meant to stay behind the rest of the defensive line, sweeping up any through balls and cutting out long balls over the top of the defence. If you get your team playing the offside trap with a covering CB then you will have 3 players in a line with a nice gap between the covering CB and the rest of the defence for the striker to sit in, leaving him with only 1 player to beat. Only use the offside trap if your CBs are on the same mentality as then they will form a straight line across the pitch, rather than having 1 player hanging back a long way.

Thats pretty much what I thought. The reason I asked is because I've seen so called great tacticians playing offside traps with a covering CB which always baffled me. Either they aren't great tacticians or the match engine is seriously flawed.

All a bit off topic I know, but it's something thats been bugging me for ages.

While we're on the subject of cover and stopper, would people still play an offside trap with a covering CB? I would have thought the covering CB would be a bit of a liability if he isn't pushing up all the time.

I do. Surprisingly still quite effective despite having a cover cb. Just got to make sure all defenders are quite fast so that if does go wrong they can recover.

Archived