Wages Don't Add Up

I am into my sixth season with the mighty Boro and am haemoraging money, I mean seriously. I'm losing between 4 and 6 mil a month. Non footballing costs are eating up around 2.5 mil a month and I'm spending around 1.5 mil a month on transfers and getting about half a mil back in. The problem is the wages. I am spending, according to my expenditure screen, about 4 mil a month on player wages, 1 mil a month on bonuses and half a mil on staff wages. Fair enough, this comes to between 5.5 and 6 mil a month, I can live with that. The problem is on the summary part it says I am spending between 8.5 and 9.5 mil a month on wages and this discrepancy is where all my cash is going as I cannot account for 3-4 mil going out of the club. Has anyone else had this and if they have could they explain where this discrepancy is and what causes it, is it a bug? I am getting a bit worried as I am only in January and have lost 16 mil already and am down to 10 mil in the bank which, with the current rate of loss, will mean I will be well in the red before the end of the season.

It's pretty blurry and my eyes hurt from trying to read it, but it looks like "non-football costs" are being added on to total wage costs. I noticed this in my Braintree save where in League 2 you're only allowed total wage costs to come to 60% of your total turnover.

From those numbers, things don't seem great do they? I haven't managed a prem team for a bit, but crikey. I wonder if state-of-the-art youth/training facilities & extensive recruitment networks are significant contributions - even if they are, there's not much you can do. As a small team player, my cost-cutting measures probably won't work for you: cut loose any youth players without real potential, offer mutual terminations to players you cant shift and eh... win the champions league!

I might make a point about this in the wishlist - and I know this isn't in the manager's remit but then a great deal of the finances aren't - but it'd be nice to see a breakdown in some of the 'miscellaneous' costs here. I'd love to challenge the chairman to cut some bloody costs instead of watch helplessly as "other" and "non-football costs" spiral higher and higher each year.

Archived