Yearly regen date?

I only really play in Enlgnad and elsewhere in Europe occasionally and I know the new youth players come through at the end of June, but it occured to me that South America and other countries like Russia proabaly have an alternative date? Do they? If so what is it? It's just so I can start hunting the stars down as early as possible!

Thanks.

Another typical FM forum response.

Thanks.

No not really. Just common sense. And actually a good answer if you bothered to do it. I was after this exact same tyhing the other day myself. But common sense told me to search google for what I was after. And guess what, I found it.

You asked a question and got a perfectly good answer. If you was already expecting 'another typical FM forum response', use a bit of common sense first, find out your own problems and you will avoid such responses. Not that there was anything wrong with it :rolleyes:

Posting the link is helpful, because it means that the next person who searches and finds this thread finds an actual answer. Especially as in this case, the thread actually has a meaningful title.

The internet is unfortunately full of loads of pages that rank high on google (because someone else has asked the same question), but where the answer to the question is simply "use google". This isn't particularly helpful when google just took you to that page. However, if lots of pages dealing with the same issue link to the page that answers the question, that page quickly becomes the highest ranking on google. That might not be the case here, but it can be quite frustrating, especially if you're not sure what to search for. After all, this thread is already on the first page of hits when you type in "football manager regen dates" into google.

Plus, the search on these forums is pretty naff. I asked a question a while back (in an old thread I found by searching) to which I also got the same "use a search" reply but no helpful answers. If someone had simply bothered to post a link to the answer, then everyone with the same question who bothers to search will also find the answer.

fair point on the google bit, but the search on this forum is actually quite good. All you need to do is go to advanced search and search 'Thread Titles Only' and you will usually get what you are after

The delay is particularly annoying - if you get 500 hits, you can't refine your search for half a minute, which simply discourages people from searching. It's fine if people have given the threads a good title, but terrible if what you're looking for is in one of the many "a quick question" and "OMG help the AI cheats and this game suxxor!!!one11oneleven!one" threads.

The delay is particularly annoying - if you get 500 hits, you can't refine your search for half a minute, which simply discourages people from searching. It's fine if people have given the threads a good title, but terrible if what you're looking for is in one of the many "a quick question" and "OMG help the AI cheats and this game suxxor!!!one11oneleven!one" threads.

i know, was just pointing out a searching tip for anyone who didnt know.

But what if I'm searching for the posts in this thread about the forum search and google, rather than to find regen dates? (yeah I click on my own posts etc., but that's not the point)

Edit: I'm alluding more to all those posts I try to search for that I know I've read, for example by SI employees but I can't remember who posted it, or what the thread was called. So I only have a couple of key words (e.g. in this case "search google delay"). Which then crop up in a gazillion other threads too.

But what if I'm searching for the posts in this thread about the forum search and google, rather than to find regen dates? (yeah I click on my own posts etc., but that's not the point)

Edit: I'm alluding more to all those posts I try to search for that I know I've read, for example by SI employees but I can't remember who posted it, or what the thread was called. So I only have a couple of key words (e.g. in this case "search google delay"). Which then crop up in a gazillion other threads too.

i know but obviously i am not talking about google, im talking about the search on the forums.

anyway, i think your point is made.

Posting the link is helpful, because it means that the next person who searches and finds this thread finds an actual answer. Especially as in this case, the thread actually has a meaningful title.

The internet is unfortunately full of loads of pages that rank high on google (because someone else has asked the same question), but where the answer to the question is simply "use google". This isn't particularly helpful when google just took you to that page. However, if lots of pages dealing with the same issue link to the page that answers the question, that page quickly becomes the highest ranking on google. That might not be the case here, but it can be quite frustrating, especially if you're not sure what to search for. After all, this thread is already on the first page of hits when you type in "football manager regen dates" into google.

Plus, the search on these forums is pretty naff. I asked a question a while back (in an old thread I found by searching) to which I also got the same "use a search" reply but no helpful answers. If someone had simply bothered to post a link to the answer, then everyone with the same question who bothers to search will also find the answer.

I gave the Google advice simply because I was after the same thing the other day myself. I searched Google for "Football Manager newgen dates". Not Regen, Newgen. The very first link is a link to 'thedugout.net' which is the list of dates.

I understand what your saying about posting links. And if it was a topic that is quite hard to find then fair enough, but in this that isnt the case. I gave advice which I knew worked because I had done it myself. Not sending somebody on a wild goose chase through Google. If you choose your words carefully, you can find pretty much anything you want using Google within a matter of seconds. You have all the other affiliate sites and fan sites which are also searched when using Google. Your not limiting yourself to this one forum and its ridiculous thread titles as you pointed out.

All thats needed is a bit of common sense when searching. Choose your words carefully and you find what you want very easily via google. No need to make thread after thread for the simplest of answers. If people put as much time and effort into searching for themselves rather than the time it takes to make threads and wait for a reply then they could easily find an answer. It just seems like people lose all common sense at times. Which is unfortunate.

Totally agree that people should search - but if you've already done it yourself, why not post the link too? It takes no effort on your part, and makes the google results more useful into the bargain.

I was recently searching for information on a couple of other games (not FM), and every single hit on the first page of google was "use google" with people saying "this has been gone over a million time before", and I find that really frustrating, because it means I can't find what I'm looking for. Even refining the search was no use. In the end, I did find a thread that linked to a page with the answer. But it's totally counter-productive to create a situation where you encourage people to start new threads on old topics because the search results are no good (not the case here, but that is what can happen over time as the internet clogs up with "use google" answers to the same question).

Archived