Advertising Football Manager 2011

Hi, I didn't know where else to post this so I thought the general section is about as good as any.

I'm currently studying Computer Games Design at university and I'm currently doing an assignment on games marketing, I was wondering if anyone from SI could tell me what avenues did SI go down in terms of promoting FM11?

Thanks

Liam Clarke

I'd imagine the amount of marketing SI have to do is minimal compared to, lets say a new developer coming out with their own manager sim.

The game is very reputable and has a huge following and they are also market leaders with minimal competition.

They had the tv advert/newspaper articles and explored viral advertising through podcasts/facebook/twitter...probably one of their biggest marketing schemes however comes from indirect marketing, i.e. pre-views/re-views in magazines/newspapers.

Feel free to correct me 'Matt from Marketing' but i really think SI wouldnt have had to shell out many millions on marketing!

Oh and Clarkie32...if you use any of that in your essay please reference it as: Alex Talbot, FM General Discussions Forum, 18/02/11 :p

It was the adverts with the loads of different people shouting what you should do and stuff and at one point there was someone shouting 4-4-3 :S

I saw that bit, made me cringe. Should've been edited out the ad - if people who are into football had never seen the game before, they might think the game doesn't know its' tactical basics. And instead opt to buy CM (!)

Several advertising / promotion options...

- TV advertising as mentioned.

- Various trailers and gameplay videos.

- Numerous podcasts and blogs discussing features.

- Paid-for media other than TV included print advertising, online advertising and various bits of in-store activity.

- Plenty of copies out for previews and reviews.

- Some online activity on facebook, twitter, via the community.

- A demo, pre-release.

That's as much as I can think of right now. Hope it helps!

Archived