Is 2008 worth getting

I am still playing 2006 after finding I did not like some of features in 2007. The pre match & half time talks seemed very generic as was some of the media interaction. I thought the series was going a bit stale and SI were putting all there efforts into FM Live. I am now thinking of buying 2008 but think I may be put off by my aforementioned comments. Can anyone convince me to buy it?

For such a low price, I'd say go for it, if nothing else to keep a collection of all the games. icon_smile.gif

In itself, it's not a great improvement over previous versions, though some things are done noticeably better.

But it is a *lot* better than 2006, if nothing else because of the speed... everything is much faster than back then.

And to me it seems a lot easier than any of the previous FM titles.

£8 is not a great amount, but if you are a player who like long term games, playing well into 2030+ then i would suggest wait till FM09 as the regens are so bad into the future and takes teh fun out of playing..

If you are a short term gamer then get the game, as its a lot better then FM06/07..

The thing is, if you get '08, you'll notice a pretty big difference between that and '06. But leave it and awit until '09 comes out...and you'll probably wonder why you never got '08. '09 will only be an update if you get '08, for it will be far better than '06

I mentioned in a previous reply that I won't buy 2009 at full price when it is released so it will probably this time next year if I do get it. Thats the reason why I am thinking of getting 2008 now.

If you've kept 2006 for so long, what's wrong in spend money for 2009 if it lasts you 3 years like '06?

If money is a problem, buy from online websites like play.com, usually sell for around £25 when released, that's £10 off.

If you didn't like 07 then you wont like 08. Its basically the same game with an ugly skin and a couple of annoying things added (match flow, even worse media interaction, extremely buggy confidence module).

Bit of a mixed bag then. I have ordered 2008 for £8 but I may stick with 2006 for a bit longer as i'm doing ok. The brief time I had 07 I was put off by the multiple choice media & player interaction. I hope SI sort this out with 09. I think they may be trying to shoehorn in too many features instead of releasing a stand alone FM every 2 years with a season update every year.

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

No.

people are being a bit harsh n the game, you say no yet you are still on forums talking about the game months after it had been brought out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being on the forum months after the game was released does not mean that the game is good. It means that people are interested in the game, period.

If you'd asked this a couple of months ago I'd say definitely. As it is, I'd wait for FM09. 4 months or so isn't a lot to wait. By the time you work round the odd bug and the increase in difficulty levels from '06 the next game will already by out.

Of course, if there's someone selling for a quid on ebay it might be worth it.

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

No.

people are being a bit harsh n the game, you say no yet you are still on forums talking about the game months after it had been brought out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct.. and to have some interest in a game you have to enjoy it, therefor making it "good" in the gamers opinion by standard thought process, period.

Being on the forum months after the game was released does not mean that the game is good. It means that people are interested in the game, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct.. and to have some interest in a game you have to enjoy it, therefor making it "good" in the gamers opinion by standard thought process, period.

No.

It's more than plausible for someone to like Football Manager, but hate a particular version of it.

Which means, they're still here for their interest in the game Football Manager, but not the 2008 version.

If you're still into your FM06 game, don't get it, wait until your intrest in your current game dies.

I got FM08 for xmas, but only managed to get through half a season, because I needed to know what was going to happen on my FM05 save.

If you think you're ready to stop your current 06 game - then that's the time to think about upgrading.

Originally posted by B. Stinson:

No.

It's more than plausible for someone to like Football Manager, but hate a particular version of it.

Which means, they're still here for their interest in the game Football Manager, but not the 2008 version.

It doesn't matter whether we are talking about the game as a whole or just a particular version. He stated you could be interested in a game without it being good, which I disagreed with. He didn't say, "People can be interested in the series as a whole but not like one particular version". If he had of done, I wouldn't have posted to prove my point.

Originally posted by TehPokerVillain:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

No.

It doesn't matter whether we are talking about the game as a whole or just a particular version. He stated you could be interested in a game without it being good, which I disagreed with. He didn't say, "People can be interested in the series as a whole but not like one particular version". If he had of done, I wouldn't have posted to prove my point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But he was putting across the point that you're on a forum you MUST like the game. Not true. I have a great interest in the series, 08 is poor doesn't make me any less interested in the FM series.

Originally posted by TehPokerVillain:

He didn't say, "People can be interested in the series as a whole but not like one particular version". If he had of done, I wouldn't have posted to prove my point.

Having an interest in the "game" is the same as "the series as a whole". It's all the same "game" - Football Manager.

He hates Football Manager 2008. He likes Football Manager.

And since these are titled simply "Football Manager Forums"... here he remains to talk about Football Manager.

Archived