Request Improved Contract Peeve

Getting this a lot recently, generally I try and give bigger signing fees to keep the wages down, as I find if someone's is high everyone else expects to be in that ballpark when they are offered a new contract. Yet it always seems the game doesn't recognize this signing on fees in the long run when it comes to contracts, so after 6 months of having signed a new contract they request another, after I just paid them an additional million or two to keep their wage down.

The other annoyance is that they also request an improved contract after playing poorly and/or their stats have dropped that month, which really shouldn't happen. You don't reward a contract for poor play/bad development, so when I turn them down they just come back a month later complaining more about wanting a contract, saying they've informed their team mates and I take a morale hit.

tl;dr

* Players shouldn't demand new contracts after recently signing one

* Players shouldn't demand new contracts after playing poorly

* Players shouldn't demand new contracts after a month's stat drops from poor development

* Players shouldn't demand new contracts after recently signing one

* Players shouldn't demand new contracts after playing poorly

* Players shouldn't demand new contracts after a month's stat drops from poor development

I'll take your tl;dr point by point:

1) I don't entirely agree with this. This should be down to the player's personality, the agent's attributes and whether other clubs are interested in them. There are examples of players requesting new contracts quite soon after signing one: Andy Carroll signed a new contract in November-ish and yet reportedly asked for a new one from Newcastle after Liverpool made their first bid for him.

2) I tend to agree with this but I don't think it should be a cast-iron guarantee. I doubt most players would have the effrontery to do this, but if they were particularly temperamental or had a remarkably pushy agent then I could envisage it happening. It should be rare though.

3) I think form should be more important than attribute progression. If a player is performing well but has declined slightly in his attributes then I still think a request for a new contract is reasonable. The way the attribute system works in FM gives us a far more detailed view of a player's abilities than would be expected in real life. It's also worth noting that a drop in attributes doesn't mean a player isn't training well or trying. All it means is that his CA has dropped slightly, which can be caused by injuries, poor form, lack of playing time or poor competition, or even just age.

I understand what your trying to say to my points, but I should have made it more clear that these issues are very common, through multiple saves and multiple players/personalities. I'm don't mean it should never happen, but when it does it should be the rare occurrence related to personality and causing a rift with management and the fans like it does in real life. My point is more to the fact that it feels the game doesn't pick up on some of these points and ignores them regardless of previous dealings.

Archived