How do I get a team out of financial trouble?

I took over Tottenham in 2014 and they are in deep financial trouble. At the end of each year I am usually around 25 million in the hole and each year I lose maybe just a couple million, nothing too bad. Due to this I get 0 transfer budget each year and they are asking for a safe mid-table finish. The problem is that a lot of my best players are about to be too old for the club and I will need some new recruits.

How do go about getting back into positive cash flow? I have been wiaitng for a big investment but I am not sure it is going to happen. Do I need to sell a player or 2? Or do i keep waiting for some chairman money?

its looking likely your going to have to sell players if you want funds but then its likely you wont get that cash to spend either if your that into debt. if you hadnt spent so easily in earlier seasons you wouldnt be in the position your in now. the way to earn money is finishing higher in the league and doing well in europe. without those your fairly screwed :)

its looking likely your going to have to sell players if you want funds but then its likely you wont get that cash to spend either if your that into debt. if you hadnt spent so easily in earlier seasons you wouldnt be in the position your in now. the way to earn money is finishing higher in the league and doing well in europe. without those your fairly screwed :)

the op said he took over when they were in financial trouble so it wasn't his fault

As mentioned I didn't get them into this mess, I took them over after I was sacked from West Ham.

I don't think their troubles are due to over spending in the transfer market either. The issue that they have a wage budget of a chanpions league team (from when the game started in 2010), but they don't make the champions league now. It has taken several years of slight budget reductions to get them down to a middle of the league type budget, but during that tiem they incurred huge losses.

no need for this reply, even if OP was at fault this type of reaction helps nobody.

in answer to OP, i'd sell anyone who wasnt in my first 18 and build good relationships with young potential stars in the hope they'll be available on the cheap or bosman at some point.

do you play mostly defensive or attacking football?

are you filling up your stadium regularly?

Like others have suggested get rid of your highest earners especially if they are getting on a bit and unlikely to feature much in your team. When its possible try and sign a high profile asian player because will help the finances a lot. Apart from that all you can really do is be successful and win a cup or 2 and try and finish in a champions league place every year.

My wages are just over 1 million. I know I need o reduce that if I am going to re-build but the problem is I have a very small squad, and if I sell my top earners I will literally have rubbish players to replace them. Added to that if I have no cash and have a budget of $0 every year I don't know where I would get replacements from, and the likely outcome is poor seasons and maybe even relegation.

Right now I got a 40,000 seater and my average attendance over the past 2 years has been 36,000.

Stokes: I have had this same problem before and managed to get Aston Villa out of serious financial trouble in two seasons. In the pre-season, set up as many 'League Type' competitions as you can focusing on bringing the top ranked financials teams in for those games. You will have to balance the number of games based on squad size. What I did with Villa was I scheduled 4 'League Type' preseason competitions and used my entire squad (incl. best U18 players) to ensure the players did not get completely exhausted. Sure we played 12 preseason friendlies and lost many (because with U18's the squads were sometimes really weak) but the amount of cash it brought in was massive. This cash goes straight into the club and it can help offset the big wage bill the club has. After two seasons I continued to do it, but reduced it to three 'League Type' competitions in pre-season and slowly more and more cash was made available to purchase players.

Hope that helps...good luck

Lots of big-club friendlies is always good for a quick few quid. Other than that try and flog any fringe/reserves that are taking home big money - even if you have to offer them significantly below the market value I always prefer to get something and save the five-figure weekly spend that I'm getting a handful of sub appearances for.

These are the clubs i usually take over and build up so they are making a profit and a good team before i hop off onto another challenge. It would be good to know the % of the money you get from selling players, if its decent get rid of the big wages for a decent price and maybe tweak it abit so you get abit of a transfer budget and buy young stars. Then in a season or 2 you might be able to sell that young player for 10 times you brought him for if he is any good. Plus the friendlies help (Y)

Sell big contract players and stick with your youngsters. Each season bring in 1 or 2 youngsters from your U18 and play them regularly. Even if some of them don't look that good, they may develop into good players, you never know. You can actually sell them for a profit later on. Try to win cup games, they give some good money for struggling teams.

Sell your top earners, and replace them with loans who hopefully are just as good for the time being. Gut your reserves and sell them all.

It might take a while to go back to the top but that's the best approach if you want to compete in the short term and be financially sound.

1) You need to set a realistic wage total, something like £700,000 per week or there abouts for a mid-table Spurs team and not break it and don't be afraid to say no to players who demand over-the-top wages.

2) Keep a check on Scout, Coach and Physio wages, if they start demanding wages in the £thousands then let their contracts run down and sign other staff. Staff wage bills can run into the £millions over the year.

3) Arrange pre-season Friendly Leagues, try mid-late July and invite big clubs, they should get picked for TV and you'll keep the ticket sales from all 6 games (minus the fees of course). I made £16m from Pre-season friendlies and £2m TV revenue as Dortmund.

4) A long-term strategy of bringing through youth players or younger players will mean a lower wage bill in the future, smaller signing on fees, smaller agent fees and lower tax payments.

I tried to set up friendlies against high profile teams, but the money I have to pay them is always more than I am supposed to receive...

Arrange an AWAY friendly if thats the case, then you'll get the fee instead of them. Obviously you miss out on Gate Receipts though...

Archived