Players that are unhappy with their current terms of contract

What do you do when its say 1 year into a 5 year contract and they are moaning for a new contract? I've had this happen even about 6 months into a new 5 year deal.

I have a reputation so good that I can put most players into their place and rather leave it until there is about 2 years left on a key/hot prospect players deal to renegotiate and 18 months for first team/rotation players, 12- 3 months for a backup player but is it the right way to deal with players or do agents try to screw you too much?

My scenario is that my 2 youth prospects have been asking for new deals from the end of year 1 to the end of year 3 of their deals and I have turned them down, lately now is that they are regularly moaning to their teammates and I pull the show me more respect card and I'm still winning without any heal digging.

Here's screenshots to show the type of quality that are looking for these contracts, both came through the Celtic youth intake.

arthur1.png

calderwood1.png

Just had a peek at what their agents are looking for, its around 91k + 9 per app and €1-1.5m for signing on and agents fee each.

My current highest earner is 91k but I should be able to get him off that soon enough as his contact is to renegotiated and it will be lower when I do decide to offer (he's on the wrong side of 30 and I think he'll sack his agent soon enough because I convinced him to start coaching (3 other players that I convinced have all sacked their agents soon after I convinced them to take up coaching/scouting).

Its hardly a case of tackling the highest earner first and they'll lower their demands? 2nd highest earner at the club is currently is €75k though

Now, since they last signed contracts, the clubs reputation has risen to worldwide and I have been taken over by a wealthy Italian. I can and probably will have to given them what they want but I want to learn from any mistakes that I may have been making with them. There are other players looking for new deals despite signing deals recently, yes they are looking like they will be absolute superstars when they are 22-23 aswell

Opinions and your own experience most welcome as i'll probably hit end of season before the night is out.

In my experience players who become unhappy and want new contracts because you rejected an offer for them can be swayed to your side 90% of the time. And the 10% who don't accept it would have eventually become unhappy anyway due to other things, because they have low professionalism or whatever.

Back in 02/03 if a player became "Unhappy with his manager" then that was that, there was no talking him out of it. He would never sign a new contract with your club, ever. That felt a bit harsh. In FM11 it's the other way around, players almost always realize they were "out of line" or "spoke out of turn" when you talk to them. At least in my experience.

yeah i agree in FM11 it is quite easy to keep them happy when that situation arises, even the few times they havent agreed i choose the lack of respect option and it almost always works but in older FM's when they wanted out that was it, but then in older FM's you could usually bump their price up to a crazy amount and make a killing off them which evened it out a bit

There has been no clubs making offers for these two recently and Arthur hasnt ever had anyone actually bid for him i think. Man United offered €9m a couple of times for Calderwood and I have knocked them and his agent back

I do get the usual pish of trying to get a better deal when a do reject offers but I do get the requests for improved contracts inbetween transfer windows and I always dig my heals in and win. Given that I wont get more than their estimated value and they are youth products, it be a crime, imo, to sell them.

What I really getting at is, should I have offered a contract earlier when their demands werent as high or should I have waited like I have done so I put off the next negotiations for as long as possible. I'm kinda thinking that maybe I should be looking to structure contract lengths and what point in those contracts I should be renegotiating deals so that maybe I'm offering them deals at certain ages/stages of their careers and maybe get not be caught like I am if you get me. e.g. giving a player a long term contract before he hits his peak years, that covers those peak years rather than landing with having to offer a 28-29 a new contract and not getting value for money at all.

In real life no world class player like those two look would even contemplate playing in such a no hope league as the SPL.

Well this is a computer GAME and the SPL is ranked 9th best competition in the world and Celtic are one of the top clubs in world football. Get back in your box or under your rock, your choice.

Well, I managed to get them to sign new contracts. 65k each instead of the 91k they were originally wanting. With haggling, it seemed that 80k (Calderwood) and 85k (Arthur) was the best I could do. I started to mess with the team of the year bonus and suddenly I had more haggling room. I got both on 65k, Calderwood accepting 750k & Arthur taking 850k for that particular bonus. Managed to improve alot of contracts with this approach and not get done by agents. My wage bill still jumped from €675k to 925k by renewing ~7 contracts.

If its a bug I dont really care because to me its compensation for not being able to sell players at market value prices and an unrefined agent system.

To be honest I get the same problem , players signing a new 5 year contract a few months down the line they start complaining and want another contract but I just ignore them and wait till there`s less than 12 months remaining then re-negotiate . Im in the year 2023 and have been taking this stance since day one and have not seen or experienced any negative effects "on the field" or results wise. In my opinion just carry on and ignore them.

I think its another aspect of them game SI need to improve on.

You obviously havent read the opening post properly

What did I miss?

I have a reputation so good that I can put most players into their place and rather leave it until there is about 2 years left on a key/hot prospect players deal to renegotiate and 18 months for first team/rotation players, 12- 3 months for a backup player but is it the right way to deal with players or do agents try to screw you too much?

My scenario is that my 2 youth prospects have been asking for new deals from the end of year 1 to the end of year 3 of their deals and I have turned them down, lately now is that they are regularly moaning to their teammates and I pull the show me more respect card and I'm still winning without any heal digging.

And then you show a screenshot of a guy who's played 22 games slightly over halfway through the season.

What did I miss?

And then you show a screenshot of a guy who's played 22 games slightly over halfway through the season.

Everything else it seems

Point of the thread was to get feedback from what other people do when players are constantly looking for new contracts and the effect it has when the time comes to renegotiating deals. You missed that because you didnt read the thread properly and just wanted to give a smart arse reply.

No, I'm suggesting that they want the new contracts because you've signed them on unsuitable contracts in the first place.

Or, in other words, if you don't want them constantly bickering, offer them an initial contract that reflects the real value they have to you. i.e. first team, not hot prospect.

No, I'm suggesting that they want the new contracts because you've signed them on unsuitable contracts in the first place.

Arthur was down as a first team player and Calderwood was on rotation. Both status's reflected exactly how I saw and played them over the course of their contracts to that point.

Me saying key/hot prospect as you highlighted was talking in a general context, I wasnt being specific to these guys. Of course I expected the players I had to be wanting higher contracts regardless of their status.

Arthur was down as a first team player and Calderwood was on rotation. Both status's reflected exactly how I saw and played them over the course of their contracts to that point.

Me saying key/hot prospect as you highlighted was talking in a general context, I wasnt being specific to these guys. Of course I expected the players I had to be wanting higher contracts regardless of their status.

Ah well, the OP is very unclear then.

They would have been suitable contracts when they were given, so in essence you have kinda missed the point.

Not really, if they're first team now (and weren't initially), it's still no surprise that they want a better contract. Although apparently this isn't the case and the OP was just too vague.

Not really, if they're first team now (and weren't initially), it's still no surprise that they want a better contract. Although apparently this isn't the case and the OP was just too vague.

your still missing the point, the contracts WERE suitable at the time because they signed them happily enough, now they are older, better, better known and have a much larger number of games under their belts they want an improved deal, what the OP wants to know iis how people deal with this situation when players start asking for new improved contracts all the time, are you tough with them or do you give in to keep the players and squad happy.

Yeah, I understood what you're getting at, I'm just bemused why you need to be agressive when I'm only trying to help and your first post was obviously confusing (as there's no indication in it what contracts the players are on, and you're talking about youth prospects).

This has nothing to do with not reading the post or trying to antagonise anyone.

Yeah, I understood what you're getting at, I'm just bemused why you need to be agressive when I'm only trying to help and your first post was obviously confusing (as there's no indication in it what contracts the players are on, and you're talking about youth prospects).

This has nothing to do with not reading the post or trying to antagonise anyone.

I didnt mention their contracts, other what is shown in the screenshots, because their squad status was/is irrelevant to what I was asking people about. If you felt it was relevant to what I was asking, why didnt you ask for clarification if you felt it was vague??

You're the only person in the thread that is confused with what I asked. Even when I said this to you, you didnt even highlight either question that was asked in the thread.

Pointing out that hot prospects, that are playing regular football, will want improved terms was just a smart arse answer to an OP that you skimmed through. Its obvious so stop trying to turn it around on me or anyone else.

Archived