Success With City? (iPhone)

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could offer some advice.

I've just got FM11 on the iPhone and I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not having the success the board demand for City! I had one game where I narrowly missed out on Champions League dropping to 5th on the last day of the season to Spurs, then I lost the FA Cup Final...

... To Spurs :(

I've started again and it is the middle of the season and I'm 8th and it's really not going well.

So I was wondering if some people have some advice for me to get better results on FM? City's team are pretty good anyway, but I've bolstered their defence with Mertersaker, bought in Buffon, and signed two talented youths as backup CM and STs.

I play a fairly simple 4-4-2 which lines up as follows:

GK - Buffon

DL - Kolarov (WB)

DC - Mertersaker

DC - K. Toure

DR - Richards (WB)

ML - Silva (Winger)

MC - Y. Toure (BWM)

MC - Barry (CM)

MR - Milner (Winger)

ST - Tevez (Advanced Foward)

ST - Adebayor (Target Man)

I play Attacking home vs most teams bar big clubs, otherwise I play balanced, and I play Attacking away vs weaker teams but balanced against more teams who are slightly better (Villa, Everton). I play with Pressing on and everything else turned off. If someone performs a 6 or worse I sub them and replace them the next game.

I haven't really changed training, though - everyone is on General - is that what is messing me up? I always end up doing quite badly on FM. I don't perform to expectations and I certainly never exceed them! So I was kind of hoping I could crack the iPhone edition of this and start getting some results as it has fewer variables then the PC version.

Otherwise, it's a cracking game, I'm very impressed!

• SI Staff

I've done fairly well with City using both the default 4-4-2 formation and also 4-4-2 attacking; I use a similar setup to yourself but have tended to use one of the central midfielders as an 'advanced playmaker' just to pep up the attack a little ... (I also for some reason avoid using Barry, he just never seems to be consistent when I play him, but thats probably just a personal quirk more than anything else).

Just have a mess around with things in the end you will find something that clicks.

Lets be honest everyone knows that when we say City we mean Man City not Cardiff, flying in the championship doesnt compare to 3rd in the prem does it now. Cardiff are a small team imo and i dont really ever call them just 'city'

Ah, bloody hell, I've lost it again lol

The next season I brought in a new MC to improve my squad, then I won the Charity Sheild... then couldn't get it going in the league :(

Which was weird because I stuffed champions Valencia in the Champions League and was top of my group. I got fired in November, though, as I was 18th in the league with only one win because I couldn't stop the rot. Which was weird as I was doing well in the cups. I have no idea, but what can you do.

• SI Staff

Who did you sign? - also do you have a save before your sacking as I'd be interested in taking over the side and trying to work out where things have gone wrong (just out of pure nosey interest as much as anything, but especially because its hugely rare you'll get sacked while still in Europe, although by the sounds of things your league form was rather dodgy in the extreme).

If you do have one you'd be willing to share please forward it to me at marc.vaughan@sigames.com

I must admit I have the same issues with city. No consistency in play or players started a new game with the latest version andngot sacked by Nov, really poor league form, topped group in Europa league.

Play 442 normal or 442 attacking with pressing on. Biggest issue I have is with midfield performance, I play sliva, yaya, Barry, Johnson or balotelli wingers and def m and box to box with Barry

Seem to concede loads of goals from corners in the premier league.

Restored again from early save see what I can do

Oh bloody hell, I'd have loved to have you go over it, Marc! Sadly, I always just save over the same slots. I'll see if I have an autosave there but it's unlikely. Next time I get fired I'll show you it though and you can tell me what went wrong lol

Aye, STGordon, that's a similar issue to me.

To what extent do people think you should be changing your formation to suit opponents to have a tactical edge? I mean, I change from attacking to balanced to suit the strength of my opponent, and I sometimes have my more attacking midfielder sit back a bit if I'm anticipating a leathering but that's it. Should I be doing more?

If you get the right players you can stick with one formation and never change, stick with the same player roles / squad tactics and never change. In every game I player I start with 442 and same tactics/roles I used for my Burnley game, investing in youth also pays off as after the first few season they gell to your system and you'll soon be flying like a rocket through all major competitions.

Archived