Recommending Players for International Callups

Another new idea thread...

Does anyone remember this in one of the older FM's? I'm sure I got asked either in a press conference or something about what you thought of your players chances in the international squad. Or maybe it was in releasing a press conference about the players.

The situation I have is that I am a bottom half Premier league team, looking to crack the top 10 with a squad composed 90% of English players. Because I have a limited budget, some of my players are average, but some of them are also fantastic. The England manager's had a look at a couple of the years, and has given a single cap to Daniel Sturridge and Michael Mancienne because of injuries to other players.

The point is, somewhere in the press conference, I'd like to be able to say that I think so-and-so should be on the international managers mind, give him a confidence boost, and hopefully help boost his rep so that even if the club is only OK reputation, he isn't always overlooked for the international squad.

The other reputation anomaly I've come across is that I have Hargreaves, who I presume still has quite high rep from his time at Man Utd. He's constantly called up by England, whereas my regen defensive midfielder who is 10 years younger and is as good is never even looked at. Surely if he is going to call up one DM from me, it should be the guy who isn't over the hill?

tl;dr: Want to drill home the message that I think my players could play for England.

Yes, this was a good old feature.

I find that the international squad selection is evry poor at the moment.

Plenty of examples of european golden boot winners not making their national squads for that summer.

Lots of occasions where the best players aren't played whilst old players go on forever.

To add to it, I just went through the England team... Danny Welbeck is in there, despite having played 6 games at Man Utd all season. My English forward with 18 goals by March is not. A Man Utd reserves CB with no first team games is in there... Now, I'm not saying Wheater, Mancienne or Matt Mills are necessarily much better, but at least they're play EPL football.

International management in the game is pants.

1. Can't recommend players move club to get more first team
  2. Have players recommended to you for international selection
  3. Currently you go about calling up your team and then 4 are withdrawn and you replace them. Come the next game you have to go and remove the 4 players you don't want and recall the other 4. You should be able to select your top players in the squad, if it's 10, 15, 20 or whatever amount you choose they are always called up - giving them a "permanent Main" status.
  4. Blacklist players: If a player rejects a call up you can no longer speak to them and explain they won't be called up again. The press go on about how he may be shunned. But you don't get that option. And the Ass Man suggests him for the next squad anyway.
  5. No indepth reports on U21's, U18's etc. I would very much like the Ass Man to give me a report on who the best Tacklers, Pass Rate, Distance Covered, Shots on target, Goals, Runs, best match rating etc. of each player from the U21's and under. Just a little report after each game, perhaps a quarterly overall report on players. You have staff but you continually have to do all the leg work yourself.

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

Eugene, you just reminded me. Kind of linked.

If I'm managing internationally, I want to first select a squad of 30 or 35 (or I think Australia initially had something like a 50 man squad before the Asian Cup), and then trim it. Some sort of intermediary between the national pool and the final squad.

International management in the game is pants.

1. Can't recommend players move club to get more first team
  2. Have players recommended to you for international selection
  3. Currently you go about calling up your team and then 4 are withdrawn and you replace them. Come the next game you have to go and remove the 4 players you don't want and recall the other 4. You should be able to select your top players in the squad, if it's 10, 15, 20 or whatever amount you choose they are always called up - giving them a "permanent Main" status.
  4. Blacklist players: If a player rejects a call up you can no longer speak to them and explain they won't be called up again. The press go on about how he may be shunned. But you don't get that option. And the Ass Man suggests him for the next squad anyway.
  5. No indepth reports on U21's, U18's etc. I would very much like the Ass Man to give me a report on who the best Tacklers, Pass Rate, Distance Covered, Shots on target, Goals, Runs, best match rating etc. of each player from the U21's and under. Just a little report after each game, perhaps a quarterly overall report on players. You have staff but you continually have to do all the leg work yourself.

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

1. Sort of already there. But needs improvement.

2. That too, with all the "XXX tipped for national team" news items.

3. I believe every squad selection should be done from scratch. To have a "Permanent" number of players in the team automatically selected, well, look at England.

4. Agreed. I would like to see this. Also players "banned" personally (for a temporary period or permanently) for discipline problems (i.e. Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor)

5. Seems like a lot of work, but whatever floats your boat really.

Archived