Does anyone ever reach 5 stars or have you ever had a regen get to that rating?

Well the star rating is relative to your team's reputation, expectations and the players ability already in your team in that position.

For example a League 2 team might be able to get a 5 star striker ie Championship ability but it would be impossible for a top team like Man Utd to get a 5 star player.

A lot of times they do, but they don't.

For example, if you have a youngster with 5* PA develops into a superstar using up all of that PA, then he is only rated at 4 stars by your scout, it's not because he is bad, but it's more likely that your team improved and/or your team's reputation improved.

I have had 5 star newgens before who eventually turn into 3 1/2 star players but only because the quality of the rest of my team has improved- they are still superstars.

Well the star rating is relative to your team's reputation, expectations and the players ability already in your team in that position.

For example a League 2 team might be able to get a 5 star striker ie Championship ability but it would be impossible for a top team like Man Utd to get a 5 star player.

Why can Man Utd not have a 5 star player? Do you know this for sure or is it just speculation? What is Messi rated?

If it is true, its just poor programing. No team should be able to get a reputation so high that the manager is not able to use the full spectrum of the start system.

Why can Man Utd not have a 5 star player? Do you know this for sure or is it just speculation? What is Messi rated?

If it is true, its just poor programing. No team should be able to get a reputation so high that the manager is not able to use the full spectrum of the start system.

If Man Utd had a 5* player it would mean everyone else in the squad was rubbish.

A 5* player means the player is miles better than the rest of the squad - 3* is the average and average at Man Utd means top class.

I've always found the longer I play a game, the harder it is to find players with even more than 3* potential/current abilities. Perhaps that is because of my own club's reputations going up, but off my head, in 2045 on my FM 10 game there's only two or three players with 4* reputations. Nothing higher. Which is not something I like. The best player in the game should be 5* by default, just because he's the best.

The best player in the game should be 5* by default, just because he's the best.

so despite having Messi, Fabregas, Xavi and iniesta in your team, then Ronaldo should be 5* becasue he's the best in the world (don't believe this, but it's easier with barcelona)

when in reality Ronaldo would be about the average player for that Barca midfield

The highest I've had was 4,5 stars current ability for a regen player with ability of 200. I'm Manchester City, FM10, year 2030. Never had 5 stars and it will never be possible if you're managing a club with worldwide reputation.

This, i've had great players and had great teams to win champions leagues (9 at mo) and max i've had at any time is 4. I think 4 and a half star is the max achieveable for a top quality side, but even that depends on overall strength of squad.

The highest I've had was 4,5 stars current ability for a regen player with ability of 200. I'm Manchester City, FM10, year 2030. Never had 5 stars and it will never be possible if you're managing a club with worldwide reputation.

yes, 5 * will only be possible for a player that has the 200 ability and plays for a top-half team (10th+) rather than a CL contender (which i presume you are given Man city in 2030)

I am not a fan of the star system for rating players.

And it doesnt help that the stars for coaching are against fixed parameters (e.g. if XX coach has XX attributes at XX level, he will achieve 5 stars regardless of the rest of the coaches in the team, reputation etc). I would expect that to confuse people.

I would much prefer there to be a star system where 5 stars are CA 160-200, 4 stars 160-120 or something.

This is the correct answer.

I currently have about 9 players rated as 5 stars in my Assistant Manager team report, because I am at a low level club and have a number of players in reserves who are rubbish.

I am not a fan of the star system for rating players.

And it doesnt help that the stars for coaching are against fixed parameters (e.g. if XX coach has XX attributes at XX level, he will achieve 5 stars regardless of the rest of the coaches in the team, reputation etc). I would expect that to confuse people.

I would much prefer there to be a star system where 5 stars are CA 160-200, 4 stars 160-120 or something.

Firstly no one has proved that 5 star coaches make any difference from 4-4.5 stars

Secondly the system of 5 stars for CA or PA of 160-200 is awful. You are basically want the game to tell you this is a great player, there are already external programs that you use to find the best players in the game. I'm not saying the star system is ideal at the moment, but it should not become an ingame replacement for Genie Scout and other scouting programs.

I've never accepted that (although it is probably true).

Barcelona have loads of quality players. does that mean that messi is only classed as a 3 star if your managing barcelona ? because he wont be that much better than the other players already in the team who play in the same position.

i did have a centre back in fm10 that was a 4 1/2 star though. was 20 years old and had already played over 100 premier league games. think his pa was about 198.

I've never accepted that (although it is probably true).

Barcelona have loads of quality players. does that mean that messi is only classed as a 3 star if your managing barcelona ? because he wont be that much better than the other players already in the team who play in the same position.

Yes, this is how the rating system works. It's not 5 stars compared the rest of the world, it's compared to your team. So Messi, although brilliant compared to the rest of the world, is probably four stars compared to Barcelona.

Firstly no one has proved that 5 star coaches make any difference from 4-4.5 stars

Secondly the system of 5 stars for CA or PA of 160-200 is awful. You are basically want the game to tell you this is a great player, there are already external programs that you use to find the best players in the game. I'm not saying the star system is ideal at the moment, but it should not become an ingame replacement for Genie Scout and other scouting programs.

It doesnt matter whether 4.5 or 5 star coaches are any different, its about them being ranked based on attributes that has a fixed standard. Which I dont see why players cant be ranked on a similar system.

You say that my suggested system is awful. Fair play, it was a first go. I would have thought that you could have ranges or biases based on your scouts judging PA/CA potential, or you could add a tendency to overrate or underrate players. Thats up to SI, but I think its still better to have some standard frame of reference. As it is, its counter-intuituve to have a rating system where the best players in the world get 4 stars out of 5.

It doesnt matter whether 4.5 or 5 star coaches are any different, its about them being ranked based on attributes that has a fixed standard. Which I dont see why players cant be ranked on a similar system.

You say that my suggested system is awful. Fair play, it was a first go. I would have thought that you could have ranges or biases based on your scouts judging PA/CA potential, or you could add a tendency to overrate or underrate players. Thats up to SI, but I think its still better to have some standard frame of reference. As it is, its counter-intuituve to have a rating system where the best players in the world get 4 stars out of 5.

When SI introduced stars they had two choices:

A) As they have make them relevant to the team you are managing or

B) Make them relevant compared to the rest of the gameworld which is what you are suggesting.

Personally I think the biggest stumbling block in the past with B is that small clubs would struggle to get more than a 1* player making it hard to identify between good, decent & rubbish players at low level clubs.

However, now we have 1/2* level steps this now gives us potentially 10 levels and with CA rated out of 200 this would mean 20CA pts per level (give or take any randomness you want to include). This would mean a star system rated on the gameworld rather than just your team would be much more workable now than in the past.

At the end of the day though both ways are acceptable and both have positives & negatives. I don't really see SI changing the way they've chosen unless they see a significant benefit in choosing the other option though.

The star system is for recommendations not ability so for Stockport Darren Fletcher would be 5 star because he is vastly better than any player they've got but he'd only be 3 star if you were Barcelona and already had Iniesta, Mascherano, Xavi and Busquets in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Gaffot View Post

People really don't understand the rating system, sigh

People really don't understand posting on a forum, sigh.

Good input Gaffot.

Last edited by bigdanio; 16-02-2011 at 10:43. Reason: Got the letters in his name all mixed up and it became an adjective

Now that's a funny post :D

Archived