Approaching European away games?

does anyone do anything different for away matches in the CL, particularly in the latter stages? I seem to be going round in circles currently, I'm in my 6th season with Man City and have currently won 4 league titles, 3 league cups and 2 FA cups but for the champions league I've reached the final once but been beaten in the latter stages on so many occasions after heavy defeats away from home. My squad is good enough and during the group stages I've had no such problems, I've topped the group with Barcelona in it twice and was unbeaten and the same with Real Madrid and Juventus, not losing any of these away games and winning all but one at home. 3 ties that stick out were losing 4-1 away to Galatasaray and Lyon and 3-1 to PSG in 3 different seasons, all of them I've gone a goal up and completely folded in the second half. I do normally play a different mentality for away matches and defeats normally come down to bad luck or a bad day at the office but this seems far to consistent. Any advice or tips you can give me would be appreciated.

ive always had relative success in europe until this new tactic im trying and although great domestically, i get owned everytime in europe away from home and the only thing i can put it down to is that im playing a direct passing game.

its the only real change ive made to any of my tactics that could feasibly have such an effect. though it could be an overall effect of other assignments i make tbh.

Defend! I have not made any yet in fm11 but it wont have changed since 10. The way to win in europe is win at home and dont lose away. You need to play your game at home in your style, dictate it to them, and then go to theirs and park the bus.

Thats how i do it anyway, and its how i will do it when i take FC Santa Claus there!!

Archived