Youth players too expensive?

Probably it's yet another of those issues you can experience if you manage in a smaller nation, but it's really getting on my nerves now...

I'm managing Aalesund in Norway, and as usual I want to create a decent youth squad to grow some adequate HG players... So I immediately sent my scouts to look for talented Under 17s.

They promptly reported back with plenty of prospects, many of those with a PA of 2 1/2* (therefore billed as fairly good purchases).

Too bad their attributes are awful (even for Norwegian league standards... just a bunch of double-digits, the rest is well <10) and on the top of that they often are billed as "fairly inconsistent performers" and/or have Silver Stars CA...

But that's not even the actual issue... nothing wrong with mediocre youngsters mistaken for potentially talented players...

The actual issue is their value is around 200-400k.

Yet again you might argue it's still a low fee, but it's NOT small change when a decent Premier Division player rarely costs that much, and only few selected "Top Stars" are sold (abroad) for 7-digits fees.

Of course you can still try to buy one of those "potentially good" youngsters, but soon they'll turn into crap anyway and you'll be lucky to get rid of them for 1/10 of their original pricetag...

How does the game calculate the value of said players? Are they expensive at first because of their PA, despite the game "knowing" they'll never go near that figure?

Am I the only one who has noticed that?

Here's an example, and he's even among the less hopeless no-hopers my scouts wanted me to spend my whole budget on...

expensive_newgen.png

Definently needs a good tutor but if he has a bit of potential he could turn out alright with that pace. Not really sure what the quality is like in Norway though.

I'm managing in Ireland and have found a similar issue but I wait until they get into the last 6 months of their contract before trying to snatch them for free.

Archived