My Greatest (And Saddest) Moment On FM

I normally have two saves going on FM. One with a lower league side (normally League 1 or League 2) and one with my beloved Manchester United.

Now I know that success is easier to come by with the bigger sides but I have spent years (since FM 2005) trying to replicate that glorious 1999 treble. Only now have I come close. I won the Premier League with 96 points, 8 ahead of Arsenal and 12 ahead of Chelsea and I reached the FA Cup final and the Champions League final.

My FA Cup run was uneventful until the semi final, playing the likes of Colchester, Barnet, Reading and Bolton. The semi final gave me a tasty tie with Liverpool which I won 2-1 with ten men for 85 minutes (losing Patrice Evra for an elbow on Gerrard) but I was delighted that I won the game. The final was against Sunderland. 1-1 after 90, 2-2 after 120 and I lost on penalties with Rooney and Valencia missing. My second FA Cup final penalty defeat in two years.

The Champions League run was very different. I came second in a tough group with Lyon and Sporting Lisbon. The first knockout threw up CSKA Moscow and a 4-1 aggregate win. The quarter final was Barcelona. A 1-0 win in the first leg at the Nou Camp set me up well and a nail-biting 3-2 win at OT sent me through and gave me a semi final tie with Marseille. I lost 2-0 away and lost all hope but the second leg was amazing- a 4-0 home win and Real Madrid in the final. Ronaldo was injured and I expressed my delight at that. Flat 4-4-2 with a "go for it" team talk won the game 3-0. I was amazed.

If only we'd beaten Sunderland...

Archived