does anyone buy to make money.....

just wondering does anyone sign players just to make cash........... what i mean is

i started a new game with cardiff city, and on the free transfers i signed "geary, quashie, alialidare, sissoko, forfona, franco" to name just a few......i also keep the current transfer listed players at the club

they take up around £25,000 on wages althogther.

during the course of the season i loan them out that i dont need.....

by the time june comes along..... i have managed to sell them off for the following

geary - £325k

quashie - £50k

alialidare - £2.5m

sissoko - £90k

forfana - £120k

franco - £500k

i didnt really need or use the players much just loaned them out for first team football, and got big money for them.

just wondering does anyone else do this

If the club I'm managing is in desperate need of some cash, I'll normally get a player on a free in January and ship him out for as much as I can in the summer.

Otherwise, I'll just sign players who I think are gonna enhance my team and help me push them onto promotion/league title.

Risky business that.. If you wanna do that, it might be best to take notes - include agent/signing-on fees, 12months' wages (especially if you can't loan them) bonuses (team bonuses I think are proportional to the entire wage bill) and... wait for it... tax. (Maybe someone else will tell me how FM calculates tax but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't significant). Then also include the risk of not being able to sell someone until their contract is up.

Also keep in mind that individual bonuses for the players playing can be offset by the fact that their value decreases if they don't play a game for 12 months.. but that loan system you've got going could account for that.

Otherwise, good work.

I absolutely do buy to make money, but more in the traditional way. Take a player who's cheap (ideally free), give him a platform to perform and then sell him for a profit.

I'm managing in the Blue Square Premier and my modus operandi is to search for young (17-23ish) free agents who are talented, give them a five year contract on dirt cheap wages and then sell them on 2-3 years down the line for a profit - or at the very least to make back what i spent on them while they were at the club. As long as i judge the players well and keep their wages to a minimum it will help us move towards balancing the books in the future.

Obviously the players i bring in are what i deem talented so they can aid us in our bid for promotion as well, which makes it a little different to your buying players who you don't need just to sell on for a profit. I would expect in real life clubs do this to an extent, but more so with very young players who they can develop and sell for a sizeable amount once in their 20's.

PS. I would be very interested to know how much tax costs you on a player as Popider mentioned - i've made note of bonuses/signing on fees/yearly wages, but not tax. Looking at my accounts we paid £30,384 in tax which is about 3% of my far-too-large overall expenditure.

Well I buy purely 18yr olds and lower, so inevitably depending on development of each player and the generation of players already in the squad, good younger players that have pretty much peaked but wont make squad due to the players ahead of them, they will be sold for a good profit. To summarise, I don't actively buy players to make money, but its an inevitable consequence of my buying strategy which I take advantage of.

Not in the sense you're talking about, but I'll get large numbers of youth players with good-high potential very cheaply, and once it's become apparent who is going to make it into the first team and who isn't, I'll loan the ones who won't out for a season to boost their profile, then sell them for as much as I can plus a 50% of next sale clause. Which while it often doesn't earn large amounts, it has in the past rewarded me when a youth player who cost me 100k, went for 250 k, then after 6-7 years at another club playing regularly went for about 25 million, 12.5 of which came my way.

Archived