Reducing high earners wages/Greyed out private chat options

I have started a new game as Wycombe and have been advised to try and reduce 2 players wages as my asst manger thinks they do not warrent what they currently get. I have tried to offer them a new contract reducing their wage and their squad status from important player to back up but they will not except. I decided to have a private chat with them as i have seen a option for reducing wage demand but it seems to be greyed out all the time. I have tried the private chat before offering them a contract and after but it's never available. Has anyone ever been able to use this option and the other few options which seem to always be greyed out.

I've never had any success reducing player's wages in this situation - I've found that if they're good, you just have to bite the bullet and pay them (and then try to keep wage rises to a minimum when offering new contracts) and if they're not so good, get rid of them!

Dropping their status from First team to Backup in a contract offer may not be the best way forward... Instead, try changing it to backup first, and then after a few months of playing them very rarely, offer them a new lower wage contract with an increased appearance fee... that should do the trick...

Nice one i will give that a go. The main sticking point is that one of the players is new to the club and he was already in the squad when i joined. it is a real pain as his stats are rubbish compared to real life i have thought about editing him but i am reluctant to as it feels like cheating.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to reduce Buffon's wages at Juventus who the data department put at a ridiculous and astonishing 200k a week....

Also without luck.

I never run my club to the ground financially as I always keep under the wage bill and maximaize player sales through long term installments...

Archived