Ideal squad size?

Do you find that your ideal squad size changes the further down the league system you go?

For instance, it's difficult in League 1 with £0 transfer cash to have even 11 players who you feel are of the best calibre possible; a squad of 25 who can all be rotated with each other would be nigh-on impossible.

Do you find that your ideal squad size changes the further down the league system you go?

For instance, it's difficult in League 1 with £0 transfer cash to have even 11 players who you feel are of the best calibre possible; a squad of 25 who can all be rotated with each other would be nigh-on impossible.

I always try to have that kind of sized squad.

In the lower leagues, I find it almost more important, because fitness is lower and injuries can be more common.

It is really hard further down you go but that's where you need to find players who are versatile. I know it was FM10 but I was Droylsden and in my second season(first full), I couldn't afford more than 18 players with my budget. So I had to sign two long term loans for the season which took me to 20 players. Despite picking up a few injuries I managed to stay top and then in the last few days of the January transfer window I signed 8 players on short term loans which meant I could rotate a bit more. It is harder though but it's good.

I always try to have that kind of sized squad.

In the lower leagues, I find it almost more important, because fitness is lower and injuries can be more common.

injuries will also last longer with poor medics

for the question in the op, about 25-30 players + some youngsters depending on registration rules

i tend to have 26 players in my squads (ala international squads)

normally its :-

3 x Gk's (two oldsters and one youngster)

2 x RB's (one oldsters, one youngster)

2 x LB's (same as above)

5 x CB's (3 oldersters, 2 youngsters)

2 x RW's (one of each)

2 x LW's (one of each)

5 x CM's (normally 3 oldsters, {1 DM, 1 MC and 1 AMC} and then 2 youngsters)

5 x ST's (normally 3/4 oldsters and 1/2 youngsters)

Generally 23 position-oriented players (2 outfielders for each position, 3 GK's) and two utility players. Then usually have a few u19/u20/u21 (depending on league specifics) playing in the reserves/on the fringes of the first team for cups/desperate injury crises, etc.

i usually keep two for each position, but i do try and find back ups that can play a few positions, so a defender that can cover left and right back, or a centre and side back position, i go with one keeper and an under 21 as back up, i never ever seem to lose keepers to suspension or injury so its worked well so far. strikers is what i love buying the most so i usually have a heap of them, back ups and kids and a few on loan. I usually have a back up attacking mid and defence mid and again a midfielder who hopefully can cover both wings. My first team squad is never bigger than 20 but i have 2-3 kids in the under 18's who can come in during an emergency.

Playing a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1 as the game calls it):

2 Goalkeepers

6 Defenders

5 Central Midfielders

3 Wingers

3 Strikers

19 players in total, with some adequate youngsters to step up when needs be. There's no definitive breakdown of what I look for - as long as I have cover in all positions. E.g. if I have a centre-back that is competent at right back, I don't need cover at right back. If I have two 3 strikers, but two of them are competent on the wings, I might not look for a 3rd winger!

My squad going into the new season after just getting promoted to the Blue Square Premier is 22 players. I'm happy with that - i prefer to have a slightly smaller squad, which is fine because i emphasise versatility in my players. At this level i couldn't justify having three excess players to beef up the squad, i need to save all the money i can. In fact i'm trying to send out my second goalie on loan so i can get him off the wage bill ... i figure my 17-year-old can fill in if need be. (Unless my first choice breaks his leg and he has to "fill in" for 6 months, then we're screwed. :D)

I usually go with 22-25, with 3-5 unregistered U-21 players. Here's how I'm trying to balance it for my Spurs team if I were registering 25 men (I play with a 4-2-3-1 with wingers):

2 Goalkeepers (with maybe one unregistered U-21 GK in the reserves)

4 fullbacks (at least two must be able to cover both sides)

4 Central defenders

3 ball-winning CMs (maybe one who can fullfil a number of roles)

3 playmaking CMs (at least one should also be able to cover AMC)

5 Attacking Mids (2 AMC, 3 wingers)

3 strikers ( I like target men and complete forwards in my single-striker formation)

1 durable squad player

I have a number of U-21s as well, who play various positions.

I'm way to strict with my squad, apart from a few exceptions if i'm getting a new, better player in, the other player will probably be out of the door.

I basically keep it to a strong first team with their back ups as good prospects and versatile players.

Depends on the league that I'm playing, but generally around 25 - 26, two senior players for each position plus a handful of younger players who I can call upon in cases of injuries / suspensions / international call ups / easy games. I rotate my squad a lot depending on fitness levels and fixture congestion, and I find this number gives even 'squad rotation' players enough gametime that they are happy with the amount of 1st team football they are getting.

If I'm playing the EPL, the number might be closer to 28 - 30... EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, ECC/Europa League, CWC etc... sustained success means you play a LOT of games and I don't like using tired or jaded players...

I normally asign around 35 squad numbers but 5 or 6 of them at least will be to youth players who play 1 or 2 cup games only.

I use a 4-4-2 and my current squad is made up of :

3 GK's; 3rd Choice always available for reserve games

4 FB's; 2 for each side.

5 CB's; 5th choice is either a young/old player who will play a few games but isn't likely to be too heavily involved.

7 CM's 3 DLP's and 4 B2B mids. My midfielders get through alot of work and I tend to rotate ALOT so having so many players isn't too bad

5 Wingers; all my wingers can play on both sides, having 5 allows me enough cover and versatility to cover all bases.

4 ST's: Can cover practiclly every role with the strikers I have.

Total 1st team squad = 28 players

In my current fav save, over 30 players made a first team appearance last season (We did play 68 games though ;) )

I obviously have my first choice player in the positions needed for my formation/tactic.

Then I try to have at least one good player as cover for each position.

Then I try to have at least one very good youth prospect for each position unless my first choice or back up player for that position is very young.

That leaves me with usually at least 3 players for each spot.

I also bring in a lot of freebies (The best I can find on cheap wages) to fill the reserves and youth team. I do this because I feel that if you have decent reserve and youth teams, they will do well. If they do well in their leageues, hopefully, the players moral is good and they improve as players.

So my whole club squad will amount to at least 50/60 players.

I play a young prospect at every opprotunity and always have at least one on the bench. Ive found that by the time my back up player demands to leave cos he aint getting games, my youth prospect can step up as a back up.... Well thats the plan anyway ;)

Archived