Learning the game

Some advice, if you please. If a person is trying to learn this game, along with the little idiosyncracies that are football, would you start with a lower league club, which has its own set of challenges, or would you start with a top club, which has its own set of challenges?

Just wondering.

Definately start with a big club. Its easier to win with better players so you can play around with tactics and chances are you will still win anyway, thus keeping your job and allowing you more time to experiment. Its also easier on the financial side. With a lower club, you are likely to be on a very tight budget. Often having to sell and scrimp and save just to survive. A big club allows you to dabble in the transfer market with more freedom.

i'd probably go for the big club, set your manager reputation as international footballer as this gives you a bit more time and players show you more respect.

lower league games can be a lot of fun and offers a different challenge, but in many instances (not all of course) can be more difficult. money and reputation will go against you and improving the areas you need can be made more difficult because of this

man city are a good choice should you choose to play in england. you can set your expectations relatilvely low and still have enough funds to do well

have a look at the relevant sub-forums in here. you will get tactical advice, training tips, player recommendations, etc...

Top club. As a lower league manager you would have to deal with finances and other intricacies a lot more. With a top club you can at least play 'dream team' football a little more and learn the ropes gradually.

My problem is that, being born in Newcastle, I have a very fierce loyalty to my home club that means I can not comfortably manage any other English team! Quite bad when Newcastle have the weaknesses they do! Oh well, at least we have An... Oh wait. :(

tbh, I'd recommend starting at the bottom, as that in itself is very much trial and error, and the most rewarding as a result.

Lower league management is less about tactics and micro management, and more about trial and error. Along the way you'll learn what works, and as you progress you'll find your own tactics, learn to play with the minimal resources you have, and you will definitely get a better feel for the game imo. Most importantly, you'll get used to losing... often... and as a result your game will be far more rewarding when you eventually learn how to win. Then there's the beauty of frustration when you start to lose again for no apparent reason :)

The best part about it is you'll learn the game more and more as you succeed. The things that aren't as important at the bottom become more important at the top, so you won't be overloaded with trying to learn stuff all at once.

I would agree with what the majority have said, start at the top or near the top. This gives you the chance to learn the basics whilst learning the new features or things you're not sure of. Then you fiddle about with the team for a few seasons creating a decent squad, tactics etc and learning them. Then you could just choose a team that you like or support and then go from there. Obviously there will be different things that could occure in other saves but nothing that you won't know how to deal with :thup:.

I'd agree with HectorSpector and couldn't really have put it better. Start at the bottom and work your way up. The opposition managers aren't as good tactically lower down - as you come to terms with the level you start out with and begin to move up the divisions you'll face a wide variety of challenges that will develop your understanding of the game gradually.

People go on about the financial hurdle of lower league management, but if you bring in a player 9 times out of 10 (more so in fact) they will be free agents and on short term deals. The risk of buying is minimal, whereas say in the Championship you'll have a budget of a few million and your success could hinge on spending that money well. Also, it's easy once you get to grips with the scouting business to build a strong team in the lower leagues that will give you an edge over your competitors. If don't want to have the threat of bankruptcy looming over your shoulder you can always 'cheat' and arrange a string of high profile pre-season friendlies which will generate a few hundred thousand pounds in revenue and tide you over for the season.

My first save was FM08 with Forfar Athletic in the Scottish Third Division. True, it was tough going to begin with - it took us six games to get our first goal! :o - but after a rocky first season finishing 7th out of 10 teams, we walked the league in our second year and almost went unbeaten. It was a fun experience and great for getting to grips with the basics.

But if you want to learn how the game works and not the actual experience the game gives you, I advise to start with a decent team, a top 8 team or so. Because if you start with a LLM save you don't get so many diversity in what concerns to players, scouting, transfer market, competitions, etc. Start with the simple things (big clubs are easier to manage) and after that explore the game in its depth.

Archived