First day plan?

Hi All,

I've been playing FM since the old days of champ but have found with recent version that i'm struggling to get a game going. I think it comes down to having a plan of action when you start a new game. There tends to be a list of things to do such as, accessing the squad and staff - working out who stays who goes, setting up a training plan, finding transfer targets and start scouting player, etc etc.

Do you find yourself doing this all on the first day or tend to stagger aspects such as sorting out the squad first then staff later.

Many thanks,

Keith

Even though i should, i never really have the patience of analyzing the squad in depth and getting rid of all the deadwood specially in leagues that i don't really have any knowledge IRL.

I normally always try to work with what i have and only sign one player or two and get to know the squad weaknesses throughout the season.. for that reason my first season on any save is never really that great.

I just load up my training schedules,sign scouts/coaches if needed, schedule friendlies and start the season.

It tends to be around the transfer window (real life) that I get the bug back for FM. Then I spend ages sorting though every detail of the club. By the time the first few games come around if the team is not playing well I get a bit disinterested. Guessing it comes down to a bit of patience. I'm kind of tempted to start a game with the first transfer window closed, that way I will get into the proccess of playing games a bit earlier.

Thanks for the advice, it does seem to be one of those things where you do what suites your individual style.

I've inadvertidly created a routine for the first day, as the years went by. I usually do:

- Dismiss bad staff members

- Put the players on a pre-season training schedule

- Take a look at my first team (ass man reports) and set the main formation, without any specific instructions, just the basic layout

- Look at the reserve and youth teams and put the good prospects in the first team (at least to get some pre-season first team action)

- Come up with a cool, subliminal name for my save... Sometimes the creativity is running low so nowadays I just stick with the team's name :(

my first day takes about 2-3 hours. Ususally cause I take over very small teams with little to no budget etc so it takes quite some time to scout all the palyers I want to see the stats for (I use hidden att's)

then I get into the training and set up my pre season training and normal training, then I asess my coaches etc, I usually keep them all cause I cant afford any others.

im always mean on my first day, i start the cull as soon as i take over, dead wood in the first team, staff all get the thumbs up or down before i press continue, i usually struggle first season because of this but i hate struggling along with players i would never usually play.

I've inadvertidly created a routine for the first day, as the years went by. I usually do:

- Dismiss bad staff members

- Put the players on a pre-season training schedule

- Take a look at my first team (ass man reports) and set the main formation, without any specific instructions, just the basic layout

- Look at the reserve and youth teams and put the good prospects in the first team (at least to get some pre-season first team action)

- Come up with a cool, subliminal name for my save... Sometimes the creativity is running low so nowadays I just stick with the team's name :(

This is basically my plan

the first day is always my longest. so many things to do.

set main and alternative tactics, set match preparation, sort out the training schedules, replace the rubbish staff with new ones and add as many as possible, release the rubbish youth players, transfer list the below par reserves and first teamers, offer contracts to whoever needs them, arrange scouts to find me the best players, arrange extra friendlies and i'm sure there is more

Archived