Selling players you dont want to sell

I'm Man United, and obviously losing between £6-10million a month, so I'm looking to maximize revenues wherever possible. I've arranged a feeder club deal in Japan, and am selling fringe players.

So, Vidic and Evra have been very good players, but are now getting on a bit. In particular, Vidic is 31 and still worth £14.5million. A lot of clubs are interested, and I keep getting messages to say opposition managers were at my games watching him. However, I've never received a bid or an official enquiry.

What I want to do is offer Vidic out and try and get around £20million for him. I reckon he's worth it, it would represent good business for me, and a big team like Real Madrid would get a few good years out of a world class defender. However, I don't want to risk Vidic getting annoyed, because I've a feeling the transfer system is so poor in FM, no-one's going to offer a sensible figure, and I'll be stuck with no money and an unhappy player.

Do people have sensible tips to maximizing the transfer offers, or alerting teams to his availability without annoying the player? In real life, I could get on the phone to the Madrid president and say "Vidic isn't transfer listed, but if you offer £20million, I'll accept it, and I'll allow the player to talk to you, and then it's up to him", and then I'd talk to Vidic and say "Madrid have offered £20million and I think you should do the polite thing and go and talk to them. I'm happy to keep you, but if you want to move, then it's your choice".

That way, I get the bid, and Vidic isn't too upset if it falls through or he rejects things, because he wouldn't know I was offering him out lol!

How does everyone else balance this?

The transfer system is a bit of a hit and miss for me, i would honestly like to know some tips on this myself?

Dont know if anyone else has noticed but i normally get clubs interested in players in the months leading up to the january transfer window and getting a deal done before the window opens is normally what occurs to me. This is possibly the best time to offer players out during an in-game season barring the summer?

Unless you got a great youth ready to replace Vidic, don't sell him. You may think £20million+ is a lot of money, but it's nothing compared to the loan repayment amount Man Utd pays every year. It's not worth selling the best defender in your team. As long as you don't buy loads of new players, don't worry too much about money, because once the repayments end in 2017, tons of money will be coming in.

I have two Brazilian defenders called Mogi and Gilberto who look decent, and obviously Evans, and with Vidic's age increasing, I'll have to get rid soon, so may as well make £20million for it, rather than release on a free when he's 36/37/38.

Basically, what I want to do is sell Vidic like Ferguson sold Jaap Stam - for a really high £15m+ even though his status was set to not needed.

I have two Brazilian defenders called Mogi and Gilberto who look decent, and obviously Evans, and with Vidic's age increasing, I'll have to get rid soon, so may as well make £20million for it, rather than release on a free when he's 36/37/38.

Basically, what I want to do is sell Vidic like Ferguson sold Jaap Stam - for a really high £15m+ even though his status was set to not needed.

Fergie considers selling Stam the biggest mistake of his career. Don't sell Vidic.

In team settings under transfers there is an option 'transfer list and set status to not needed for all players who are offered to other clubs' You can untick the box and offer vidic. I haven't tried it myself yet but it seems likely the player won't get upset. It also seems likely interest will be slightly lower than usual, considering Vidic will still be 'indispensible' to your club, or whatever he is on.

Archived