Man Utd tactic (based on the match against Aston Villa)

After analysing the team formation when they played against Aston Villa, this is the result that I've found.

63001_Manchester_United.jpg

From this photo, we can see that

1) van der Sar as GK

2) O'Shea, Ferdinand and Vidic as DR, DCR and DCL

3) Evra as DML or wing back left

4) Fletcher as MC, Carrick as DMC or MC and Giggs as MC, AMC or AML

5) Nani as AMR &

6) Rooney and Berbatov as STs

Goalkeeper (defend): van der Sar is a good GK who is also a good match reader. Look at how he distributes the ball to all over the pitch, it shows that he is a commanding goalkeeper to organise the defence and to start an attack. So he could be given a role of ball holding goalkeeper, by increasing his creative freedom, passing range, distribution to mixed and yes for hold the ball. I am sure he will always keep the opposition guessing.

Fullback (defend): O'Shea is a decent and complete fullback as he can do whatever is given to him, as long as it is not a role of Cafu. His primary role is to provide the width at the right side and defend the flank. His primary link up player is Nani although he will not be overlapping or attack for too much, he is still an option to start the attack as the team will always attack down the flanks. For his setting, most of them should be kept as simple as possible since I am giving him a defensive role.

Ball Playing Defender (Cover): Ferdinand, the pivot of the defence and the organiser, as how you wanna name him. He is sitting deeper than Vidic of course. His record of 1st foul after a long period is the evidence as Vidic has done all the dirty works to clear all the aerial ball. So he is given more creative freedom to play as a ball holding defender, waiting for a better option to move the ball to. Don't forget that he does have pretty decent technique, acceleration and pace to get past his marker, which we can instruct him to run with ball for sometimes.

Centre Defender (Stopper): Vidic, here comes the warrior or fighter. One of the best defenders in the world now. His primary role is to clear all the aerial ball coming into the defence and assist his partner, Ferdinand. Every setting of him will be kept simple as his role is to defend.

Wingback (Support): Evra will have both defensive and attacking duties. He doesn't need to run down the flanks for all the time if somebody is there. So, for attacking duties, his role is to support the attacker and provide an option down the flanks. As for defensive role, he needs to block away any crosses and prevent any overlapping by the opposition.

Centre Midfielder (Support): Fletcher, like O'Shea, who can do everything but not to the perfect one. However he is still an influential midfielder to the team since Sir Alex has kept him in the team for a long time. He supports the flowing of the ball from the defence to the attack and arrives late in the final third to score a few goals. So he will be given a normal creative freedom and keep his setting all to the middle.

Deep Lying Playmaker (Defend): Carrick, whom we have seen his form drop last season, is rated highly by Xabi Alonso who played the same role as Carrick. Players like Carrick will need his teammates to support him all the time as he will always be closed down by the opposition to prevent him from spreading the ball. If he is isolated then he don't have the tecnique and agility to get rid of his marker. However he is still an intelligent players who can spot his teammates movement and provide great through ball. So basically he is suitable to be given a fair amount of creative freedom so that he can use his creativity to dictate the tempo and also instruct him to provide the through ball all the time. Lowering his mentality could prevent him from being closed down too quickly.

Advance Playmaker (Attack): Giggs is the playmaker of the team. He starts from the centre and drifts to the flanks. His wide play can be set to hug touchline or cut inside. He will be given a lot of creative freedom, direct passing, sometimes for run with ball, often for through ball, sometimes for cross ball and yes for hold up ball.

Inside Forward (Attack): Constantly seeing him cutting inside, a role of inside forward should be suitable to him and set his crossing to sometimes. He will run down the flanks so he need to run with ball often. He does have defensive duty since O'Shea may be facing opposition who has great pace, so Nani will need to assist him, either acts as stopper or cover for O'Shea.

Deep Lying Forward (Attack): Rooney is not comfortable playing his back to the goal, so it would be the best for him to drop deep and he will do the magic for you. Alongside Giggs, he is another playmaker in the team and his setting should be pretty similar to Giggs. He is still the most important player in the team, for short and long terms, regardless of the position that he is given.

Complete Forward (Attack): Berbatov, our top scorer in the Premier League currently. He can shoot, he can pass, he can bring everyone into play. A flamboyant striker who works well alongside Rooney, both of them can exchange their positions as they can fit into each other roles. Against Aston Villa, Berbatov has been used as a targetman where the long balls from van der Sar were often supplied to him. Basically his setting is the same as Giggs and Rooney except the setting of run with ball and crossing. He should run with ball and cross the ball rarely.

After applying the tactic into the FM, I have created a tactic which I think is quite similar to the one that Man Utd played against Aston Villa. Screenshot below shows the tactic created with tactic creator but I have made almost entire tweak to the player and team instructions.

manchesterunitedmanutdt.png

Remember the starting lineup against Aston Villa? Just pick them and field on the positions respectively. (The players in the screenshot is my own selection)

After playing against a few teams, these are the result I obtained:

manchesterunitedmanutdm.png

As you can see, I have made a pretty decent start of this tactic against Wolves who are at the 17th place. So it is still acceptable with the 3 goals margin. Then the second match, the 2nd leg of UCL against Dynamo Kyiv whom I have led three goals in the 1st leg, managed to score twice at the end of the 2nd half.

This led to a further minor tweak of the tactic and I used it again against Tottenham after it was done. A 4-0 victory which is a good result for me. The next three victories especially against Arsenal and Liverpool are great as this is a assymmetrical tactic, so it is very difficult for them to mark my players. Furthermore, there is no goals conceded since the tweak after the match against Dynamo Kyiv. In overall team performance, I am pretty satisfied with the result shown in terms of goals and solid defence and looking forward to the home game against Arsenal.

For the individual performance, the front three who are Rooney, Berbatov and Nani (Valencia) were benefited by the usage of this tactic. They are scoring goals and supplying excellent through passes especially Rooney that I need to single out. Let's look at his performance in the last six games.

waynerooneystatsform.png

He is scoring! And you may say that I am cruel to deny his four hattrick in a row but I am trying to keep him fresh for every game.

By the way, if the corner setting doesn't work, set a new one of your own if you all feel free to download and test it. One more thing I wanna emphasize is, always comment on your players performance. I do it after every matches. If the player is getting 7.9 to 8.9, I will say "keep it up" and for 9.0 to 10.0, it is obviously that you must say that he is outstanding. I will criticise if a player get 6.2 or lower. Do this after every match to build the relationship with the players and encourage them to play better.

Here is the link:

http://hotfile.com/dl/102496316/1fa2a2b/Zona_Mista_(Man_Utd_Apr_2011).tac.html

http://www.mediafire.com/?4d6zcn6r47z9vht

After the six matches tested with this tactic, these are the remaining matches which I have all played with the tactic above.

manchesterunitedmanutdm.png

As you can see, I have won 4 times in the last 5 matches. As I have tough opponents like Chelsea and Real Madrid coming on, I have decided to rest a few players and end up just manage to get a small margin victory and just a draw against Blackburn.

The match against Chelsea is the one to decide who is the champion as I am leading 3 points ahead but I am relaxed with this match as I have a better goal difference than Chelsea. So a 2-0 victory is a nice and perfect way to win the title.

The match against Real Madrid is the real challenge to me, and also to this tactic. And I am glad that it doesn't disappoint me. The champions of Europe.

As I have mentioned in the 1st post, the inside forward and the strikers are the main goalscorers. In the last 11 matches, these are the goalscorers and the number of goals:

Rooney (13)

Berbatov (6)

Valencia (5)

Nani (2)

Anderson, Ferdinand and Hernandez (1)

They are the goalscorers and creators as well so I always wanna make sure that they continue to impress me by criticising or praising them.

i'm going to start a game using this tactic, what players did you sign.

I start to use this tactic in my last 11 matches of the season so there is no signing made based on the tactic. What team are you going to use? You may look for goalkeeper who is good enough to hold the ball. So his creativity and composure may take into count. The deep lying playmaker is another main player as he is always staying deep, he will use his creativity and passing range to create goalscoring chances. I have Stekelenburg and Defour for the above positions.

I start to use this tactic in my last 11 matches of the season so there is no signing made based on the tactic. What team are you going to use? You may look for goalkeeper who is good enough to hold the ball. So his creativity and composure may take into count. The deep lying playmaker is another main player as he is always staying deep, he will use his creativity and passing range to create goalscoring chances. I have Stekelenburg and Defour for the above positions.

i'm going to use man utd. i've started without transfers, so i'm gonna have to wait til january.

i'm lookin to buy

1st choice deep lying playmaker

back up/rotation advanced playmaker (i'm thinkin eden hazard)

i'm going to use man utd. i've started without transfers, so i'm gonna have to wait til january.

i'm lookin to buy

1st choice deep lying playmaker

back up/rotation advanced playmaker (i'm thinkin eden hazard)

Basically Carrick is good enough for the deep lying playmaker role. Eden Hazard is a good choice of advanced playmaker too. It would be great if you can get a left leg advanced playmaker. Anderson is capable to do well there but you could look for others. And remember to put the tactic into the match preparation and set the workload to maximum.

Basically Carrick is good enough for the deep lying playmaker role. Eden Hazard is a good choice of advanced playmaker too. It would be great if you can get a left leg advanced playmaker. Anderson is capable to do well there but you could look for others. And remember to put the tactic into the match preparation and set the workload to maximum.

do you change anything when you play hernandez

Hmm looks quite interesting and reminds me about the way United played during their 2006/07 season with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo up front.

Very defensive at the back and fast switching form defending towards attack.

The only thing that seams to be different is the fact that the Inside forward doesn't seam to be the main goal threat like Ronaldo was during that season.

But I think I will give this season a try in my next season with Man Utd.

do you change anything when you play hernandez

I don't change anything but you may let him run with ball often so that he could use his pace to get past the defenders. And I suggest to ask him to learn place shots and knock ball past the opponents which will make him a better player.

Hmm looks quite interesting and reminds me about the way United played during their 2006/07 season with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo up front.

Very defensive at the back and fast switching form defending towards attack.

The only thing that seams to be different is the fact that the Inside forward doesn't seam to be the main goal threat like Ronaldo was during that season.

But I think I will give this season a try in my next season with Man Utd.

Rooney played more like a winger when Tevez and Ronaldo were still at Man Utd so it has a difference. I used zonal marking and just own half closing down to maintain my defensive shape.

As the opponents will try to push up to attack, they will get caught just after a few passes.

Nani and Valencia is different from Ronaldo so to create the similarity as how United played against Villa, they are more a winger but you will still see them scoring goals.

Thanks for giving my tactic a try and leave some feedback here. :-)

Rooney played more like a winger when Tevez and Ronaldo were still at Man Utd so it has a difference. I used zonal marking and just own half closing down to maintain my defensive shape.

As the opponents will try to push up to attack, they will get caught just after a few passes.

Nani and Valencia is different from Ronaldo so to create the similarity as how United played against Villa, they are more a winger but you will still see them scoring goals.

Thanks for giving my tactic a try and leave some feedback here. :-)

Sure I noticed the difference that's why I said it reminds of how United played during the 06/07 season.

I would consider at this time Rooney was somewhat of an advanced forward or even winger who roamed around the top and went on the left wing quite a lot while Tevez was droping into midfield.

Since both strikers where roaming form position this much it created enough space for Ronaldo to score goals.

Sure these days the tactic had to be different since Nani is much more of a playmaker type of player then Ronaldo who is essentially a striker on the wing.

Unfortunatly I will have to start a new United game to try this tactic since I can't get myself to set Bale on the bench who was awesome in my second season with 18 goals and 18 assists in the league.

I haven't tested it in a new season so I am not sure the issue above will happen or not. By the way, have you put this tactic into the match preparation? The players already get used to it? What I did was set the workload to maximum and also comment on players performance after every match which I have mentioned before. Based on my experience by using this tactic for the past few games, my strikers are scoring goals since I do comment on performance of everyone. Did you do this? It is extremely helpful I gonna say.

This tactic was lethal for me, with Man Utd, Dortmund and Villarreal. Winning titles with all teams (Villarreal it took me 2 seasons)

Broke clean sheet records left right and centre also conceding 8 goals in the league with Man Utd.

The right sided striker is the one who will be scoring the goals for you. Rooney hit 38 in a season for me from here. Barrios hit 34 and Rossi put away 35. The other key aspect is the right winger and Nani is a natural for the role.

I would like to see a left sided variation though.

This tactic was lethal for me, with Man Utd, Dortmund and Villarreal. Winning titles with all teams (Villarreal it took me 2 seasons)

Broke clean sheet records left right and centre also conceding 8 goals in the league with Man Utd.

The right sided striker is the one who will be scoring the goals for you. Rooney hit 38 in a season for me from here. Barrios hit 34 and Rossi put away 35. The other key aspect is the right winger and Nani is a natural for the role.

Although the right sided striker is the deep lying forward, he is always the one who scores more as he is supported left and right by the complete forward and the right winger.

The left sided variation you mean is to see the right winger shifted to the left side, maintaining the left wing back role or the same time switching the right winger to left and the wing back from left to right? Personally I would think that the 1st possibility is imbalanced if were to create but that doesn't mean that it is not functioning. It is worth a try. While for the second possibility, it is just by switching them from left to right, like a mirror. Should be working in the same way.

Thanks for using this tactic and hope that it will bring you more success. ;-)

did you make any tweaks to the tactic.

hello congratulations on your tactics, I would try, but you have the left hand version?

use that training?

(google translation, sorry)

I haven't created the left sided version as I am busy recently. If I create it then I will upload here. Work pretty much the same, just switch things from one side to the other. And for training, I use training schedules that I created by myself but it is not so important compared to the tactic. :-)

Thanks for using my tactic! Leave a feedback here ;-)

sorry , can upload on sendfile ? thanks

Sendfile need to be registered right? I have upload another in mediafire. Hotfile doens't work for you?

Hey,

Do you mind putting it on MediaFire? Thanks a lot mate.

Done in the 1st post! ;-) Thanks.

this tactic is brilliant ...but once again, after 10 over matches the game adapted to it and I cant win a single darn match

Did you try to comment on their performance. The problem that you mention will happen, that's why keeping the players confident is key. ;-)

Finally finished my season and all I can say is this is probably the best tactic I've downloaded for any FM. I used Metal Guitarist's Update and I made no signings. I won the treble (FA Cup, PL and UCL) but got knocked out of the Carling Cup by Chelsea despite out playing them all game. :mad:

I didn't change the tactic one bit, unless I played Valencia over Nani, I played Valencia as an out and out winger with support. I did use the corner kick cheat/ bug but its my game so I can play it as I wish. My top goalscorers was Berbatov (27), Rooney (22) and Vidic (19). Nani was my most creative player scoring 15 and creating 24 goals. He rarely had a bad game for me and I even had to fend off Barcelona in January for him. Other notable players, Owen got 7 goals in 22 (11 sub) most I've ever had out of him. Chicharito scored 15 in 49 (32 sub).

Defensively this is unbelievable, The only time I conceded more than one in a game was a 2-2 draw away to Lyon in the UCL QF. In my second picture you see that I beat Barcelona 4-0 in the Final despite it been all even.

League Table:

tablevw.png

UCL Final:

uclfinal.png

Finally finished my season and all I can say is this is probably the best tactic I've downloaded for any FM.

Great to hear that from you Jinner. It would always inspire me to create a better one.

Defensively this is unbelievable.

You will see that the players will close down less to keep the defensive shape, reducing the chance for the players to get tired and to cause the opposition to create a large space behind their defence. By the way, how many goals you have conceded in an overall season?

For this tactic, the more the oppositions be attacking, the more their defence becomes vulnerable as you can see that your team will create a lot of counter attack. Valencia can still play the same roles as how Nani did in this tactic as he will also score lots of goals.

Great result against Barcelona from you! And this is my UCL final against Real Madrid which I am quite satisfied with. Sorry Ronaldo. :-P

manutdvrmadridinformati.png

Great to hear that from you Jinner. It would always inspire me to create a better one.

You will see that the players will close down less to keep the defensive shape, reducing the chance for the players to get tired and to cause the opposition to create a large space behind their defence. By the way, how many goals you have conceded in an overall season?

Overall in 59 games just 22, Most were either long range or set plays. I also went on a run of 11 games without conceding.

For this tactic, the more the oppositions be attacking, the more their defence becomes vulnerable as you can see that your team will create a lot of counter attack. Valencia can still play the same roles as how Nani did in this tactic as he will also score lots of goals.
I found that to be true about the counter attack. Extremely satisfying when your being outplayed by the opposition then you the counter attack and score. You may be right about Valencia being able to play the Nani role but for me he almost always had a bad game as a result.

Overall in 59 games just 22, Most were either long range or set plays. I also went on a run of 11 games without conceding.

I found that to be true about the counter attack. Extremely satisfying when your being outplayed by the opposition then you the counter attack and score. You may be right about Valencia being able to play the Nani role but for me he almost always had a bad game as a result.

You may have seen your team being outplayed by the opposition, in fact, the statistics have shown otherwise. Strange thing it is if just watched some part of the game. Talking about the goals conceded by long shot, I have thought of increasing the closing down of the midfield but the way they keep the shape is nice till I am reluctant to make changes.

Anyhow, I will still observe this tactic as I haven't tested this tactic for a whole season. Gonna update anything new here soon.

You may have seen your team being outplayed by the opposition, in fact, the statistics have shown otherwise. Strange thing it is if just watched some part of the game. Talking about the goals conceded by long shot, I have thought of increasing the closing down of the midfield but the way they keep the shape is nice till I am reluctant to make changes.

Anyhow, I will still observe this tactic as I haven't tested this tactic for a whole season. Gonna update anything new here soon.

I only ever watch on Key Highlights so that's probably why, Looking at the stats those games are pretty even in truth. What about dropping the deep lying playmaker into the holding role?

I only ever watch on Key Highlights so that's probably why, Looking at the stats those games are pretty even in truth. What about dropping the deep lying playmaker into the holding role?

Holding role? You mean DMC? I will work on this tactic to strengthen the defence and also improve the attack. Hope that I can produce it very soon. :)

Finally I have finished a season by completely using the tactic I have created above. And here is my standing in EPL.

englishpremierdivisionio.png

Basically the tactic produced a decent amount of goals and prevent more goals to be conceded. One of the defeat happened around 15+th match and the other one happened in the last match of EPL where I have won the title before this.

englishpremierdivisionh.png

Therefore I have retained the title and confident to earn the third one in the following season.

Unluckily, I haven't won the FA Cup for the last two seasons but it is not as important as EPL and UCL. However there is also an aim to achieve treble in the next season.

Here comes my achievement in UCL. I have managed to retained the Champions League trophy after I have won it in the 1st season.

europeanchampionscuphis.png

I have beaten Real Madrid 5-2 in the 1st season and 3-1 against A.Madrid in the second after they have managed to come from behind by scoring six passed Barcelona in their home game and won by the aggregate of 6-2 whereas I beat Arsenal in both legs with the scoreline of 4-1 at home and 3-0 away.

Once again, for those who are looking for the download link, they are here:

http://hotfile.com/dl/102496316/1fa2...2011).tac.html

http://www.mediafire.com/?4d6zcn6r47z9vht

Very Impressive have you tweaked it at all?

Currently my second season using this is going better then the first. I have signed Modric and Lloris, I have let Owen and few youngsters go. I have won the Community Shield, Club World Cup, UEFA Super Cup and I face Chelsea in the Carling Cup final. So a clean sweep is still on. will update when season is over.

Very Impressive have you tweaked it at all?

Currently my second season using this is going better then the first. I have signed Modric and Lloris, I have let Owen and few youngsters go. I have won the Community Shield, Club World Cup, UEFA Super Cup and I face Chelsea in the Carling Cup final. So a clean sweep is still on. will update when season is over.

I have tried to tweak it but the rest do not produce the good result compared to the original one. So now I stick to the original one but I do change the defending corner setting as it is the set piece that always cause me some problems.

Defending corners: Two centre backs with "man marking", right and left back to "mark near and far posts", left striker to "stay forward" and the rest will just go back.

Wow how much you pay for Lloris? Should be a big money signing I think. I am still using Stekelenburg and thinking about changing the goalkeeper but Lloris is too expensive. Guilermo Ochoa and Areola are cheap but the I have used the former one for many times whereas the latter is too young to be my first choice.

In the third season I have bought a few players, causing me around 45m. They are Sime Vrsaljko, Bernardo (from Cruzeiro), Raphael Holzhauser, Efrain Juarez, Ismail Aissati, Alphonse Areola and a few regens. I also made my team younger by selling Berbatov, Hargreaves and Carrick.

Back to the tactic, I will continue to tweak the tactic to make it more balanced. Enjoy and hope to see you winning all the trophies!

I have tried to tweak it but the rest do not produce the good result compared to the original one. So now I stick to the original one but I do change the defending corner setting as it is the set piece that always cause me some problems.

Defending corners: Two centre backs with "man marking", right and left back to "mark near and far posts", left striker to "stay forward" and the rest will just go back.

That is the only thing I tweaked which really makes a difference.
Wow how much you pay for Lloris? Should be a big money signing I think. I am still using Stekelenburg and thinking about changing the goalkeeper but Lloris is too expensive. Guilermo Ochoa and Areola are cheap but the I have used the former one for many times whereas the latter is too young to be my first choice.
I paid about 25 upfront 15 over 48 months and a few other add ons and bonuses. Lots of negotiations and tapping up lol
In the third season I have bought a few players, causing me around 45m. They are Sime Vrsaljko, Bernardo (from Cruzeiro), Raphael Holzhauser, Efrain Juarez, Ismail Aissati, Alphonse Areola and a few regens. I also made my team younger by selling Berbatov, Hargreaves and Carrick.

I'm thinking about getting rid of Carrick, Brown and O'shea (Getting on) and Hargo (injuries). I have Giggs and Scholes retiring hopefully. May give Evra another season dunno weather to go with Fabio or look for someone else. Berba has been a beast for me so will keep him on.

Back to the tactic, I will continue to tweak the tactic to make it more balanced. Enjoy and hope to see you winning all the trophies!
I think its very balanced right now so hard to see where you could go with it.

Do you have any preference to pitch size? Also do you use OI's?

I set the pitch to the standard size and it works for wide pitch as well. However I have never tried for small pitch. For OI's, I don't use any as the tactic will work without them.

I use biggest pitch available 114 x 74, as for OI's I set my assistant to do them. With a lot of tactics the use of OI's is usually down to the user's preference.

Ya just let the assistant manager to set it for you.

Despite being a Liverpool fan, I'm enjoying reading this thread. Might try and mirror the tactic, so I have Johnson attacking, then buy a decent LW. Also I think some changes would be needed to the Berba role, so that I could fit Carroll in there. Any suggestions/help would be great. Looks like it's really solid in defence, love that in a tactic.

Archived