Union Berlin - I need some comfort!

Ok, I really need to tell this to somebody and ask for your opinion or just some words of comfort.

I took over Union Berlin with the modest goal to promote them to the German Bundesliga eventually. No Champions League glory, or becoming the top club in the world. Just promote Union to the top division.

Union was considered the worst team in 2. Bundesliga and in three seasons I finished 13th twice and 12th (in the latest season) out of 18 teams. All three seasons I struggled to avoid relegation and managed to do so in the last games of the season.

I've taking care at training programs, scouted all of Europe and make sure every player I sign is scouted. I take good care of what I say to the Press and the players, I work with advanced tactics, I've developed 3 youngsters from the club. I've bought good players in this three seasons who should make the team better.

Practically, I'm doing everything the right way. But I still can't elevate Union. Why? This game makes me think it's all scripted before hand. And sometimes I just want to quit and toss the game out of the window.

That's me ramblling!

There is a script in the game that won't let them get bigger than Hertha Berlin :D

No, seriously. What is your media prediction? What tactic do you use? How do you use team talks?

Media prediction is for us finishing low in the league and to battle against relegation. Although I feel that my team is much stronger than four years earlier, and the prediction should be for higher.

I use a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 with a DMC and an AMC, depending the the opponent. I brought in fast attackers and attacking midfielders.

I kind of pamper my players, don't bash them a lot and sympathize most of the times. I praise them whenever I get the chance in press cons.

Some teams irl seem destined to languish in the depths of the lower leagues and never really amount to anything, this does'nt mean that its scripted, you just need to stick with it and have faith in your team, well done for sticking with them for 4 seasons and I hope you get them promoted eventually.

What's wrong with your performances? Are you creating chances and not putting them away? Are you not creating chances? Are you leaking goals?

I'm actually playing good, and losing a lot of clear goal scoring chances. That's why I'm pretty annoyed in the first place. I must be No1 in the crossbar count in the league! I don't concede a big ammount of goals, but sometimes I feel my defenders are on the dumb side!

Some teams irl seem destined to languish in the depths of the lower leagues and never really amount to anything, this does'nt mean that its scripted, you just need to stick with it and have faith in your team, well done for sticking with them for 4 seasons and I hope you get them promoted eventually.

Thanks, I've had a lot of patience with Union, hopefully I can continue.

And your attackers have good technique, composure and finishing? Then the only thing I can think of is consistency. Regards to defenders, they might have low consistency, or if you concede late on, it could be concentration and/or stamina. If you concede late on, I suggest bringing on a defender as a substitute, either to replace a defender or add to it. For example, I concede most goals late on, but I have slowly had 5-3-2 formation in my match preparation, so I bring on another central defender and I can comfortably see the game out.

If you stick with Union you'll probably get promoted. Try looking at ageing players on frees.

And your attackers have good technique, composure and finishing? Then the only thing I can think of is consistency. Regards to defenders, they might have low consistency, or if you concede late on, it could be concentration and/or stamina. If you concede late on, I suggest bringing on a defender as a substitute, either to replace a defender or add to it. For example, I concede most goals late on, but I have slowly had 5-3-2 formation in my match preparation, so I bring on another central defender and I can comfortably see the game out.

If you stick with Union you'll probably get promoted. Try looking at ageing players on frees.

Good advice. I've bought ageing players, but I've also put some effort on young players. In my fourth season I'm using in the starting lineup two 18 year olds I scouted, a 19 year old from my youth team and 2-3 younger players who I brought in or who where in the club. And I feel very excited about them.

The first thing I look for attackers in finishing and technique. But maybe consistency is a problem for me, also I don't bring defenders in at the last minutes often, which may help the situation.

So your saying I can match prepare a defensive formation and use it when I need to keep the score?

Yeah, it's been solid for me. Although I've mainly used it in Europe, it works well, for instance, a 1-1 draw away to Liverpool and a 2-0 CSKA win at home, I used it for the last 10 minutes with a fresh defender on. It helps if the defender you bring on is of similar quality too. This is my formation.

As regards to consistency, go through coach reports and under strengths or weaknesses it may mention consistency. If you have no players with strong consistency then that could be an area. There's also a big match thing, which 10 of my players, according to my coaches, relish. So if I have a big match coming up I will rest these players in the hope that they will be as fit as possible for it, and they perform well.

Also, I will point out that I think consistency is an attribute that improves, although I'm not sure, as some of my players have just got it now, so your younger players probably won't be overly consistent. To find consistency, scout for a few matches, and look at average ratings. Determination is also good to have in your squad. I know it will spur players on when being put under pressure or when you have gone behind, but I think it might make players perform better when beaten.

Also, what's your goalkeeper's gathering attributes? Does he have communication, rushing out and command above ten? A good gathering goalkeeper will take pressure off defenders and make them tire less. In my mind, preventing a shot from happening is more important than actually stopping the shot. And it's great if the goalkeeper is consistent. While I don't expect you to have Smithies in net, he is a good example.

Archived