How Did We Play This Game All Those Years Ago?

I've been thinking about all the new features added every year, and how seemingly important they've become, like going back a few years, we didn't have anything like the scouting system we have now, such as their personality, how much they'll cost etc. and we didn't have player interaction, or even team talks to tell our players how they're doing! Even going back just a couple of years, we didn't have player roles, we just put a player in a position and tell them to 'be attacking'

Anyway, I'm wondering:

How do all you who play the older FM and even CM games get on without all these features?

And what feature(s) have you found to be most important that we didn't have 10 years ago?

FM has come on so much over a few years and may it continue to do so!

I've been thinking about all the new features added every year, and how seemingly important they've become, like going back a few years, we didn't have anything like the scouting system we have now, such as their personality, how much they'll cost etc. and we didn't have player interaction, or even team talks to tell our players how they're doing! Even going back just a couple of years, we didn't have player roles, we just put a player in a position and tell them to 'be attacking'

Anyway, I'm wondering:

How do all you who play the older FM and even CM games get on without all these features?

And what feature(s) have you found to be most important that we didn't have 10 years ago?

FM has come on so much over a few years and may it continue to do so!

You do realise that the player roles haven't changed tactics at all. You used to have exactly the same range of instructions for your players, just you had to set them up yourself, it wasn't just "put a player in a position and tell them to be attacking".

Also, if you go back to Championship Manager 01/02 you will see that there are plenty of features which used to be in the game that have now been removed, so its not just them adding stuff every year.

For example, back then you were able to interact with the FA, so if a referee had a terrible game you could report the ref and then if they had a few more bad games they could be moved down the leagues or removed entirely. You could also request a match postponement if you had lots of players away on international duty. As for the tactics, while some of it was much simpler, like you didn't have a slider for instructions, you usually just had 3 choices, because of the wib/wob system you had much greater tactical flexibility.

I advise you to download CM01/02 and have a play around, you will see that while there are plenty of new features there are also plenty that have beend ropped.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of features that have been removed, but they were only removed for the good of the game, and with regards to player roles, I mean playing a forward as a poacher or a target man, two very different options that we didn't have just a few years ago

Oh yeah, I'm aware of features that have been removed, but they were only removed for the good of the game, and with regards to player roles, I mean playing a forward as a poacher or a target man, two very different options that we didn't have just a few years ago

Sure we had, they just weren't named. You could easily play your players as such though.

I loved the wib/wob options - means I could play like Man United and Chelsea do sometimes in a 4-3-3 formation with the ball and a 4-5-1 without.

and you still can if you issues the right instructions.

What you see on the tactic page are the defensive positions (451), while the instructions you give mostly refer to attacking (433).

Archived