Youth or experience?

I'm managing AFC Wimbeldon in my sixth year, i usually go for older players on short contracts in my game the likes of Joe Cole, Carrick when they're over the hill. I still invest in youth but not heavilly. I was wondering what yous preferred or found better in your games. Should i stick to the old pros or have a gamble on few kids?

Thanks

I never sign anyone over the age of 21 when playing the lower leagues in the hope they they progress with the club. Free kids....sell them on for a bit cash when they either out grow the club or the club out grows them.

I only survive financially by getting kids in and hoping to sell on one or 2 of em. In my experience the difference in performance between a good young kid and a past it star is marginal at best and the wage demands are less than a tenth for the kids. I would have thought the likes of Joe Cole would still be asking for several grand a week even when past it?

The main problem with younger players is their consistency, and sometimes big game ability. Some can be hit and miss in performances whilst looking good in their attributes. My general rule is, if they're affordable and have the ability they're good enough, no matter how old or young. I don't mind as long as they'll do a job. I'd buy a mixture of old pros and good prospects. use the pros for one season and to tutor the young players and then you'll have a decent set of younger players.

Older players can often have higher wage demands, whilst younger players - especially without agents - can be quite cheap.

I've set myself a challenge at Hibs.

1st season: sign anyone freely

2nd: Only permanently sign 19 or under

3rd: 17 or under

4th: 15 or under IF not self-sustainable

It's going ver well. My current team is young (2nd season, Feb) but is 4 points ahead of Celtic and is undefeated in the Champions League (beat CSKA and Liverpool at home, drew all away games and Kobenhaven at home, finished second in group). However, we can't seem to be able to beat Celtic. It's just not possible. Rangers are easy, but Celtic...

The problem is, it's harder to find 19 year olds who are good enough to play a part in my season. I had to sign 3 loans in January, sometimes my older players are driving the team on. Riordan, Thicot, Vacek, Dickoh, Duffy, Kusnir are all pretty much my spine. Incidentally, Smithies (21), is the catalyst behind my CL success, gaining man of the match in 5 of the 6 games.

Concentrate on the youth, but if I see someone I know has talent up for grabs for a small fee I jump on it. An example is Balotelli, available for £4M, never really came close to his potential, signed him tried to keep him happy and two seasons later he scores 32 goals and is sold after I leave the club for £30M. The "failed potential" bunch can be a real goldmine on this game.

I always prefer youth over experience though, except for my centrebacks for some reason...

after a few seasons i rarely buy older players

I'm the same really. After the first two or three seasons I usually just buy young players with potential but if I can get an good player in for free or a big player for a cheap price I will.

A lot of people are obsessed with buying young players. They go round hoovering up all the high PA players, then cheat and use the tools to identify the best regens. It must make the game so utterly boring and takes all the story out of the game.

I've having great fun in my current save with Everton. Lots of former players who played for me on the payroll and I've not got rid of any of the legends like Cahill, Distin, Arteta, Jagielka, Baines etc when they've got too old. I also recently signed Phil Neville back from Barnsley's reserves at 38 for a swansong season which ended with him winning the league and cup double. His CA was no doubt terrible but he put in a solid season and averaged 7.02 with a penalty goal in the last league game (I went all sentimental).

You miss that kind of thing when everyone you sign is 12 and has a PA of 199 and you found them using a scout tool. Yawwwwwwnnn.

i try to get the right mixture of youth and experience because it is important to have some experienced players as young players can develope by playing and being tutored by them. and i find you need youngsters so that they can develope and become very good players i mostly sign players on free agents i buy some youngsters i don't buy the older players i look for good free agents who will help the side.

A lot of people are obsessed with buying young players. They go round hoovering up all the high PA players, then cheat and use the tools to identify the best regens. It must make the game so utterly boring and takes all the story out of the game.

I've having great fun in my current save with Everton. Lots of former players who played for me on the payroll and I've not got rid of any of the legends like Cahill, Distin, Arteta, Jagielka, Baines etc when they've got too old. I also recently signed Phil Neville back from Barnsley's reserves at 38 for a swansong season which ended with him winning the league and cup double. His CA was no doubt terrible but he put in a solid season and averaged 7.02 with a penalty goal in the last league game (I went all sentimental).

You miss that kind of thing when everyone you sign is 12 and has a PA of 199 and you found them using a scout tool. Yawwwwwwnnn.

not against it or people who use these tools but i don't. i have my scouts all over the world, scout a lot of agent recommendations and look through the international youth teams. find plenty of good players that way

Archived