3-4-3 Ajax Style by Zico10 - FM 2011

3-4-3 Ajax Style by Zico10 - FM 2011

Hello everybody :thup:

Following the footsteps of the previous 3-4-3 Ajax Style for FM 2010, here is my new version for FM 2011 with last patch included (11.2), tested with West Bromwich Albion and winning the Premier league in style with 99 points.

The attacking football and clear cut chances it produces sometimes is mesmerising and be prepared to be screaming at your Strikers. You have been warned.

Odemwingie finished the season with 35 goals and 14 assists in 38 games and could easily have been 65 goals, with the front 3 scoring 72 goals between them

I elected West Bromwich Albion, mainly because I wanted a team with a big pitch so we could play nice football

and same time challenge the media prediction of favourite to be relegated (19th).

With a transfer budget around 6 Mil, a bit of wheeling and dealing was necessary to strengthen the team, so all players bought in a 48 months payment policy. 22 players + 3 GK are needed. Remember that Under-21's do not need to be registered to play, so you can have a squad of 30, so Youth investment is a must.

Some key requirements: pace, passing, technique, anticipation, determination, composure and work rate. The front 3 you need to look for players with Pace, (maybe minimum of 14/15), Off the Ball , Finish, Technique, Composure and Anticipation.

For those without big money to spend here are a few cheap Strikers I managed to sign with Pace around 15 and can do a good job:

Christian Benitez(16), Vaclav Kadlec(14), Mota(15), David Barral(16) and Martin Peterson(16) (last two on loan). Already had Odemwingie (14 pace) and Ishmael Miller (18).

For those who want instant success, I can not guarantee it. Commom sense sometimes can be the difference between winning and losing. Without careful preparation about your staff, training, players and team requirements you are going nowhere. A simple thing like arranging midweek reserve games versus your U-18's to keep your players with lack of match fitness on their toes, can make a big difference.

Before kick-off I use " you can win this match", OI's are left to Assistant Manager, and half-time if winning "encourage" or losing "where's the passion". if it's a draw still "you can win". Most of the time I leave it to Assistant Manager unless the team talk seems dodgy.

Do not touch "pleased" even if winning at half-time. That's a banana skin.

PS.My database comprise of around 60 000 players; the original Big plus added players from top leagues in the follow Continents: Europe, Africa and South America.

Tactic

tact.jpg

League Table

lstg.jpg

Fixtures

fix1.jpg

Mon Amie, our uncanny attraction for the 3-4-3 amuses me. As ever, we differ in our approach and set-up but the appreciation of a very underrated system in reality is there. One tends to play with more width up top, wide strikers flanking a central playmaker forward. Where before, a targetman was often employed as the traditional number (ala my Stoke team in 2010), a false 9 is now used, dropping back to midfield, with the wide strikers coming in off the flanks to exploit the space in behind. I tend to use a flat 4 across the middle, with the aim being for them to play more as a midfield 4 than 2 centremids and 2 wingers. Admittedly, this is hard to achieve given the limitations of the AI (the rsetricted range of arrows remains a major flaw whcih causes intentin often to be lost in translation with instruction). The left midfielder and forward left are instructed to roam from position and cut inside. The right midfielder the same, with the forward right told to hug the line. The intention here is to achieve numerical advantage in the centre of the pitch, whilst offeirng an outlet out wide to provide service to the central areas. It is very different from my FM 2010 motif, less direct and alot more entertaining.

Hi Guv'nor, lol, it's true my friend, only a few are fans of the 3-4-3 school of attacking football. Having said that I'm going to try my tactic with the 2 CM's same as your approach.

I like the 3-4-3 system very much myself, I think it works really well with how wide players in the ME defend. Only problem is I find it very hard to find players who are fit enough to play in the wide midfield roles.

Hi Mojojojo

Look for players (full back's included) with over 15 fitness level. Here is one of my favourites, Peter Masilela and only costs 200 K.

Thing is... I'm trying to create a libero 3-4-3 system but I can't make my wide midfielders to act like those. I know it's a ME bug, but they only seem to defend. How have you countered this aspect? or, because you're playing with a relegation candidate, is this a plus?

Thing is... I'm trying to create a libero 3-4-3 system but I can't make my wide midfielders to act like those. I know it's a ME bug, but they only seem to defend. How have you countered this aspect? or, because you're playing with a relegation candidate, is this a plus?

Hi Dust, they always drop deeper than one wanted but the best performance I managed to get out of them is maximum Mentality(20) high Closing Down(18) Forward Runs often and Roaming.Thx

hi zico looks very good I'm going to try this with my shakhtar team, do you use any touchline shouts

Cheers Rich, no touchline shouts, but sometimes when winning I used the "pass to feet","overlap", "work ball into the box" and "keep possession". There was a run of maybe 5 or 6 games where I started with only "work ball into the box" to see how it would interact with team performance, but to be honest the test was not long enough to make a proper conclusion. The other 4 shouts I could see a slight difference in the team performance but I'm not sure if that would guarantee a better chance of winning, so more tests will need to be done.Thx

By the way, why the "easy" tackling and "more caution" approach? I seem to find myself in a lot of trouble because my winger didn't want to tackle that counter-attack

You get lots of yellow cards for absolutely nothing like just being close to a player with the ball, let alone your striker trying to tackle. Check players attributes regarding Determination, Work Rate, Agression, Bravery and Tackling too, but feel free to adjust. Thx

This looks great, bit of a closet fan of the 3-4-3, will give this a go as I have failed spectacularly in my attempt to get a 4-2-3-1 working. I particularly like the fact that it utilises a lot of different positions.

Having had a quick look, what's your thoughts on dropping the central striker back to the amc spot?

Congrats on the excellent season with West Brom.

Looks good Zico - I will give this a good try mate.

cheers mate, will be waiting for your feedback.

This looks great, bit of a closet fan of the 3-4-3, will give this a go as I have failed spectacularly in my attempt to get a 4-2-3-1 working. I particularly like the fact that it utilises a lot of different positions.

Having had a quick look, what's your thoughts on dropping the central striker back to the amc spot?

Congrats on the excellent season with West Brom.

Hi Macca cheers mate, welcome onboard the 3-4-3. The Central Striker due to the ME drops naturally, but changing to an AMC spot that would change it to a 3-5-2, but unfortunately I'm a fan of 3 strikers. Another alternative, is to change the Forward Runs to Rarely or Lower the Mentality to 10 and see how it goes.

On my tests when dropping deep it collides with the MC position and a lot of attacking possession was lost due to the fact of most of the times just 1 opposition player marking the 2.

With Striker on Forward Runs, he drags the opposition CB's out of position, thus creating space for the MC to operate more freely.

hello for the preparation of the match as I need to adjust? thanks in advance

Hi Oguro, can you be more specific please.thx

Playmaker? Target man?

Hi Samas21, no playmaker, no target man. thx

Hi Macca cheers mate, welcome onboard the 3-4-3. The Central Striker due to the ME drops naturally, but changing to an AMC spot that would change it to a 3-5-2, but unfortunately I'm a fan of 3 strikers. Another alternative, is to change the Forward Runs to Rarely or Lower the Mentality to 10 and see how it goes.

On my tests when dropping deep it collides with the MC position and a lot of attacking possession was lost due to the fact of most of the times just 1 opposition player marking the 2.

With Striker on Forward Runs, he drags the opposition CB's out of position, thus creating space for the MC to operate more freely.

Yeah, I noticed the colliding piece when i briefly tested last night. I might have another play around tonight and see what I can come up with (maybe lowering the mentality of the MC & DMC to accomodate) I was thinking about making 3 variations on the tactic, just to see if they perform any differently than the original against certain formations.

My idea was to have the original 3-4-3, one where the STC was dropped to AMC (a 3-5-2 attacking) and one where the STC is dropped back to be a secondary MC matching the current MC settings (a 3-5-2 standard).

That'll then let me get a good spread of players in, and allow for a 2nd creative MC (If i can get any of this working that is...)

I'll let you know how I get on (both just using the original and any tweaks I make, to see what you think)

Cheers

Zico10. One question. When you select you players, playmaker role is automatic given to my DMC. Is it correct?

Yep, but it's not ticked.

Thanks for the reply Zico, why is the target man supply box ticked? Should I untick that?

No, leave it on run onto ball.

zico hello I wanted to know, in the preparation of the match ideas for something special type movements or offensive union team, ETCC ... or leave it to your coach at? thanks

Hi Oguro, I choose offensive movements.

Yeah, I noticed the colliding piece when i briefly tested last night. I might have another play around tonight and see what I can come up with (maybe lowering the mentality of the MC & DMC to accomodate) I was thinking about making 3 variations on the tactic, just to see if they perform any differently than the original against certain formations.

My idea was to have the original 3-4-3, one where the STC was dropped to AMC (a 3-5-2 attacking) and one where the STC is dropped back to be a secondary MC matching the current MC settings (a 3-5-2 standard).

That'll then let me get a good spread of players in, and allow for a 2nd creative MC (If i can get any of this working that is...)

I'll let you know how I get on (both just using the original and any tweaks I make, to see what you think)

Cheers

Hi Macca, I've tried all kind of setup's ( it took me 3 moths to develop) and that is the best that worked. Lowering the MC and DMC mentality, and you will grant room in midfield for opposition to play freely and shoot for distance and create Through Ball situations.

There's some room to work regarding the central striker mentality and forward runs, if you want him to drop deep and work as a 2nd AMC. Drop his mentality to 10 and test each option of forward runs , or leave it at 13 and try FR options again.

By the way, to save you headache and time I've got a 3-5-2 based on this 3-4-3 template, that I'm willing to let you test if you want it.

zico

i have looked at a few of your tacs over the last 12 months

i have noticed that you allways put players , no matter what position , to hold up ball

is this something you allways do ...if so why

thanks

Hi Dooter, cheers mate it's to give them more time on the ball and make better decisions at passing and keeping possession, instead of just hoofing to row Z.Thx

Hi Macca, I've tried all kind of setup's ( it took me 3 moths to develop) and that is the best that worked. Lowering the MC and DMC mentality, and you will grant room in midfield for opposition to play freely and shoot for distance and create Through Ball situations.

There's some room to work regarding the central striker mentality and forward runs, if you want him to drop deep and work as a 2nd AMC. Drop his mentality to 10 and test each option of forward runs , or leave it at 13 and try FR options again.

By the way, to save you headache and time I've got a 3-5-2 based on this 3-4-3 template, that I'm willing to let you test if you want it.

Nice, yeah sure i'll give it a test.

You're right (of course!) about the extra space, although with the 352 i quickly put together, i got a good, solid 2-0 friendly win against a good West Ham side. I just think the 3-5-2 might keep me strong in away games whilst my team are gelling.

Hi, Zico.

I see you mentioned the strikers are missing a lot of chances. For some reason, if you play with three up front, the strikers miss countless chances in this years match engine. I've tried a couple of other formations that have all used 3 up front and it's the same problem, missed chance after missed chance. I've tried so many different things to counter this problem but nothing I did seemed to have any effect.

I also couldn't figure out what the cause of the problem was. Do you think it's just a problem with the match engine? Too many chances created, maybe, so the match engine makes up for it? I even stopped using the 'cross to the far post' corner exploit in the hope that my strikers might score a few more (yes, I was clutching at straws by this point), but it made no difference at all.

Any ideas or suggestions, to counter the problem, or to whats causing it, would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Zico, My assistant manager keeps telling me there is a huge gap between my midfield and attack, any suggestions to help link them up better please?

I can't be bother with the Ass man Cruyff14, he spent the whole season telling me that, even though I was having more possession and winning the majority of games.

Hi, Zico.

I see you mentioned the strikers are missing a lot of chances. For some reason, if you play with three up front, the strikers miss countless chances in this years match engine. I've tried a couple of other formations that have all used 3 up front and it's the same problem, missed chance after missed chance. I've tried so many different things to counter this problem but nothing I did seemed to have any effect.

I also couldn't figure out what the cause of the problem was. Do you think it's just a problem with the match engine? Too many chances created, maybe, so the match engine makes up for it? I even stopped using the 'cross to the far post' corner exploit in the hope that my strikers might score a few more (yes, I was clutching at straws by this point), but it made no difference at all.

Any ideas or suggestions, to counter the problem, or to whats causing it, would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Yep , I think it's the ME trying to make things even, due to the high number of CCC.

• 1 month later...
Zico , how are you getting on with the new patch? Are you working on a new tactic?

Hi Zigi, I'm working on the new update and testing a new tactic based on Barca attacking approach, a 3-4-3 with the DMC role as a CB and the FB's as wide mid.

• 3 months later...
Zico will you soon release Bielsa tactic? Looking forward to that one to try it with Athletic Bilbao. Also you have month old PM about football materials :D

Wassup Grimness, I've check the links about Bilbao mate, but does not work at all, I think they were blocked somehow. Cheers anyway.

I'm thinking about releasing a trilogy of back 3 tactics, the Bielsa tactic is ready, I'm just finishing the Brazil 2002 and I'm testing Barcelona attacking approach 3-4-3/3-5-2 with a false 9, because most of the time that what it is, a fluctuation between those 2. Same time anyone with a back 3 tactic can post in there as well, so we can keep everything back 3 in one place.

My last project will be an Ajax thread with a hybrid tactic between Van Gaal and Cruyff 3-4-3.

@Zigi, looks very promising mate, keep updating. Thx

• 1 month later...

Archived