Is it possible to make a good team by playing the players in their best positions?

Is it best to play players in their best positions for e.g Babacar being best at Target man (attack) and Zezinho being best at Inside support (support) or isit better to forget about their best position and go for combinations of positions for example.. TargetMan, Wingers (to supply the target man, FullBacks (to protect the wingers)

My preference is to get my players play at their best position. I started with R Madrid, and with C Ronaldo better at scoring than crossing, I have him as an inside forward, and use a DMC on Xabi alonso on deep lying play maker. I try to attack without crossing much that time.

Now all of those players have retired and my new squad is different. My AMR has quite similar attribute to C Ronaldo but he's a better crosser than scorer, and my forwards are rather tall and good at jumping/heading, so I have wingers now instead of inside foward. And I don't have any midfielder like xabi alonso anymore who can provide assist from deep, so I now change my formation to 442 with 2 MCs instead.

IMO, keeping the same formation and role the same with different set of players might not do well because you can't ask a guy who can't cross to provide assist to your target man or can't ask a MC who can't tackle/mark or bad at positioning but good at passing, anticipation, creativity, etc to be a ball winning midfielder. You'll pretty much end up having a 2nd rated team because you team isn't playing to their strength.

But like rjfreeman noted, balance is also important as well because you can't field your entire squad with an attacking role because there won't be no players who's winning the ball for you or vice versa. I tried it for a few seasons back where I have 5 players on the attacking role with 1 support and no one to defend except the back 4 and it leaks quite a lot of goal and possession is terrible. I did see a lot of goals but when it's up against an equal or better team, all of them just fall apart, especially ending with 30-40% possession.

Archived