Why are players unhappy with an outstanding performance?

After a match where a player gets an 8/10 rating, I thought I'd tell him i was happy with his performance, then he says he thought he was a bit rubbish?

If he performed fairly well, then I could understand if he thought he wasn't great, but 8 out of 10 is an excellent performance so why is he unhappy with that?

I don't know. Did you say "delighted"? Apparently it's not good to praise them too much? Or maybe he's "perfectionist" or some other niche personality. I've hired a top class assistant manager, delegated this function to him and find that he mostly just looks at the result and if it's a below expectations win, usually says nothing.

After a match where a player gets an 8/10 rating, I thought I'd tell him i was happy with his performance, then he says he thought he was a bit rubbish?

If he performed fairly well, then I could understand if he thought he wasn't great, but 8 out of 10 is an excellent performance so why is he unhappy with that?

How good have the other players been?

I've had severall games where one player get 8 and a other get 9, for example, and the 8 one didn't reacted well to my praise even if i said in the private chat that I was deligted with is performance on his last game.

I've found this explanation on bugs forum.

It's because when you comment on a player in their last match, it is comparing them against all of the other players who played in that match, there were 4 players that performed better than him so the player is thinking that the praise is undue given that other players stood out more.

I like, explains a lot actually, if the manager singled me out for praise, no matter how well I played if everybody else had played better than me then I'd understand

Yes that makes more sense now but a player saying he was rubbish sounds a bit weird. "Rubbish" is not the right word here.

The praise at the moment is indeed a comparison to the other players in the match. If for your team you have 3 guys who get a 9 say and one guy who gets a 7.8 if you praise the guy who gets 7.8 as well as those who got a 9 he won't be happy.

However, if in another match you have a guy who gets 7.4 say the goal scorer in a 1-0 win and everyone else gets 6.9 a fairly common scenario in a comfortable 1-0 win then the 7.4 guy will be happy with your praise. It is a really easy way to get your best players to think you are wonderful!

The praise at the moment is indeed a comparison to the other players in the match. If for your team you have 3 guys who get a 9 say and one guy who gets a 7.8 if you praise the guy who gets 7.8 as well as those who got a 9 he won't be happy.

However, if in another match you have a guy who gets 7.4 say the goal scorer in a 1-0 win and everyone else gets 6.9 a fairly common scenario in a comfortable 1-0 win then the 7.4 guy will be happy with your praise. It is a really easy way to get your best players to think you are wonderful!

Totally agree. I use this to get on all my players favourite personnel list.

Archived