Possible to remove injured player without a substitution?

In FM 2010 you were able to remove a player who had taken a knock during the game without substituting another player for him, therefore going down to 10 players by choice. Usually this happened when you had already made your 3 substitutions for the game. I think it helped keep the injured player from becoming more severely injured because he didn't have to finish out the game. I can't seem to be able to do this in FM 2011. Anyone know if it's still possible?

It is too bad really.

Think we should be able to take off players, without substitutions, freely - and no, i don't mean in in an obscure overdoing it way.

When i was around 14 the team i played on didn't have enough players. No substitutes and only 10 players on the pitch, including the goalie.

I had a problem with my heels at the time and when there was around 20 minutes left of the game, i couldn't play anymore.

I simply had to walk off the pitch, and never come back again for the rest of the game - finishing every game with only 9 players.

I wish it would be possible to do the same in the game. Not that i would constantly take a player off in every game.

Think i would hardly use it myself though. Probably when i have an exhausted player on the pitch, with no more substitutions left to make.

In my mind, a player on the pitch with a minor injury (as in, still able to continue playing) is more desirable than having no player on the pitch at all. I can't honestly see any particular reason why you would deliberately want to handicap yourself by having less players on the pitch

• 4 weeks later...
I believe I've actually found a way to do this. From the formation screen in the tactics window if you drag the player out of the formation and drop him he comes off the pitch.

Thanks for the tip. Will try it out when i get the chance :thup:

In my mind, a player on the pitch with a minor injury (as in, still able to continue playing) is more desirable than having no player on the pitch at all. I can't honestly see any particular reason why you would deliberately want to handicap yourself by having less players on the pitch

Say you are playing against Blackpool as United, 5-0 up and its the 75th minute, Rooney picks up a knock. Would you rather leave him on the pitch and risk a major injury or take him off knowing that you have already won?

In 2010 it was easy. You just try to substitute the injured player with another player. The game would pop up a warning telling you that you were out of substitutions and asks if you want to take the player off the pitch.

I've seen it happen once in real life where a coach took a player off that wasn't even injured with about 5 minutes left in the game. It was Afonso Alves who had scored 7 goals in a game sc Heerenveen were winning 9-0. With no substitutions left the coach decided to take him off anyway so he could get a standing ovation from the crowd. If this is possible in real life and was possible in earlier versions of FM I struggle to understand why it isn't in FM 2011.

In 2010 it was easy. You just try to substitute the injured player with another player. The game would pop up a warning telling you that you were out of substitutions and asks if you want to take the player off the pitch.

I dont believe that is the case...I tried this again and it did not do this. I will have another play tonight but I dont believe that this has ever been the case...perhaps it a case of the injured player must actually be injured (with the green cross) as opposed to just tired...red cross players always come off of course

I believe I've actually found a way to do this. From the formation screen in the tactics window if you drag the player out of the formation and drop him he comes off the pitch.
Thanks for the tip. Will try it out when i get the chance :thup:

So does this actually work?

I dont believe that is the case...I tried this again and it did not do this. I will have another play tonight but I dont believe that this has ever been the case...perhaps it a case of the injured player must actually be injured (with the green cross) as opposed to just tired...red cross players always come off of course

I never tried to just remove a tired player in this manner. It was always a green cross knock.

Worked FM08, FM09, and FM10. Doesn't work on FM11, but I haven't tried dragging from pitch to squadlist yet, only squadlist to pitch and squadlist sub7 to squadlist starting11 (neither of which work (redundant, I know (but who cares? At least I'm being clear :) ))).

And what worked for me was no dragging from pitch to squadlist. It was dragging from pitch to someplace around the top of the screen where the menus are and dropping the player. I haven't had an opportunity to try it again. When it comes up I'll attempt to verify.

I have no idea how I was able to get it to work that one time but I've had a few more chances to pull green cross injured players off the pitch after 3 subs have been made and have not been able to do it.

Developers: PLEASE add this feature back. I'd rather lose a game down a man by choice then lose a player to a long term injury because I couldn't get him off the field.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived