[iPhone] How do I set up a tactical system a.k.a. what am I doing wrong?

I'm looking for some help with tactics as I'm struggling to figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'm not looking for someone to give me a set of tactics I'm just trying to better understand how to put a system together that suits my team and how to figure out whats going wrong.

My main problem seems to be scoring goals, I'm into my second new game with man utd and i've had the same problem in both games.

In my first season I was sacked in about january as I was 9th in the league and out of the champions league, I didn’t sign anyone and played a basic 4-4-2 with balanced, mixed passing, normal tackling and everything else set to 'no' as it was suggested this is a 'balanced' set up and a good starting point, I also used these specific roles:

Rafael and Evra - full backs

Vidic and Rio - centre halves

Hargreaves - ball winner

Anderson - box to box

Giggs and Valencia - wingers

Berbatov - either complete or deep lying forward

Rooney - either advanced or complete

I tinkered with the forwards quite a bit because of the lack of goals but is there something fundamental I'm doing wrong here? I'm don’t think I'm asking any of the players to do anything they shouldn't be able to do.

In my second season I've signed a few players, switched to a 4-1-2-2-1, attacking at home and balanced away, short passing, commited tackling and pressing with these specific roles

Rafael and Evra - Full Backs

Vidic and Rio - Centre Halves

Hargreaves - ball winner

Modric and Martinez - advanced playmakers

Giggs and Valencia - inside forwards

Rooney - either complete or target man

Again, defensively I'm doing well but I cant seem to score goals, after 7 league games I've only let 3 in but only scored 6

In both games I've been making probably 8-10 chances a game and I guess half are on target, players are averaging 7 and above, I cant see how I'm supposed to know what to change to improve things. If I wasn’t creating chances I'd think my midfield was the problem, if there were no chances on target I'd think my strikers or midfield were the problem, if a players rating was poor I'd think he was the problem.

Any thoughts?

Personally i find raphael and anderson arent good enough in the first few seasons. I know everyone plays their own way but personally i cant understand why anderson and hargreaves play instead of fletcher and carrick. Also i found Hernandez does better for me instead of berba.

my current tactics....... 4-4-2, balanced, mixed, hard tackling(or whatever the option is called) with pressing set to yes only until winning. i dont change any of the roles. i finished 3rd missing the league title by 5 points. in my second season now currently top. my team where top scorers in the league in the first season and are currently top scorers so far.

not sure what to advise really.

I wonder if the problem is how I set up my forwards?

I would think Hernandez is best suited as a poacher, Berbatov as a complete forward or deep lying forward (maybe a target man but I'd want balls in to him to feet and I don’t know how I set this, is it through the team playing short passing? target man always makes me think of a big man who is good in the air) and Rooney as an advanced forward or complete forward, I havent given hernandez a run in the team but I cant find a combination of roles that make the rooney / berbatov partnership work

• SI Staff
I wonder if the problem is how I set up my forwards?

I would think Hernandez is best suited as a poacher, Berbatov as a complete forward or deep lying forward (maybe a target man but I'd want balls in to him to feet and I don’t know how I set this, is it through the team playing short passing? target man always makes me think of a big man who is good in the air) and Rooney as an advanced forward or complete forward, I havent given hernandez a run in the team but I cant find a combination of roles that make the rooney / berbatov partnership work

Have you considered having Rooney as a target man and Berbatov as an advanced forward? .... Rooney is imho very capable as the type of target man who holds up the ball and distributes it .... that will help whoever is his partner look good imho.

• SI Staff

PS - As one of my tests before we release any version of the game I take over each of the 'big' clubs and see how they do with default tactics (ie. the tactics you get by default when you start the game) - as Man Utd I found myself generally top 3 with that setup, so if you want use that and tweak slowly from there .. don't rush into huge changes.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like I'm not doing anything daft or missing something obvious so that’s good.

I've changed things around a little and they seemed to have helped, 19 games in, I'm third (4 points off top) and I've scored 27, lowest scorers of the top 6 but much better than before so I'm on the right road.

I've gone to a 442 diamond (no idea why I hadn’t try this before), made the DMC a ball winner and the AMC an advanced playmaker, I've then made rooney a target man and hernandez an advanced forward, attacking mentality at home and balanced away, mixed passing, normal tackling, pressing on.

Interesting note that when I accidentally put rooney and hernandez the other way round (ie: hernandez as target man and rooney advanced forward, they both scored and I won 5-0 at home against west ham)

Three of the four games I lost were away to arsenal, away to spurs and away to liverpool so I might try switching pressing off and counter attack on away from home against better sides maybe drop the advanced AMC back to a box to box MC if I do this too.

• SI Staff

Glad to hear your performances have been picking up :D

(with regards to your performance against West Ham, Rooney is quality and can play in most roles imho ... however I don't think thats the optimal role for Hernandez and against a sterner defense I think that setup would struggle ... nice win though all the same :D)

PS - Let me know how things go with refining the tactical side of the game, its interesting to me as a developer hearing about how people evolve their styles and learn about the game .... and it might help me make things better/easier for people to understand in future games.

Somehow I finished my first season in 4th place scoring a total of 47 league goals, only 4 teams in the whole of the rest of the league scored less than that. Guess I've got my defence set up pretty well then *

I stuck with a 442 diamond for the rest of the season, attacking mentality at home and normal away. For the most part I played Rooney as a target man, hernandez as an advanced forward, and modric as an advanced playmaker just behind them, maybe for the 2nd season I'll try hernandez as a poacher and rooney as a complete striker see how that works, I also wonder whether hargreaves in my DMC spot as a 'ball winning midfielder' is too negative at times, maybe he should be a box to box player instead

Don’t think I got even a point away against the top 6 or 7 sides when I play them now I pretty much know I'm going to get beaten. I tried packing the midfield, men behind the ball, pressing off, counter attack on and direct passing a coulpe of times but I narrowly lost them all.

Its slightly frustrating as I regularly make more chances and have more shots on target than opponents (although I realise this has been something that seemed to happen in all fm and old cm games since time began *) and yet I score so few but then my strikers still both average well over 7 (and hernandez, who scored 12 got young player of the year) I think what I'm trying to say its its difficult to analyse exactly why I'm scoring so few goals.

I really like the idea of the specific roles in the team but I think they might need a bit of refining or explaination, for example if I pick the 442 diamond formation and then make my AMC an 'advanced paymaker' does this mean he'll play even more advanced than his AMC position on the formation screen suggests (like a third striker)?

Also, when I think of a target man I think of lofted balls into the box at a big guy like an andy carroll and not a mark hughes kind of focal point, someone who holds the ball up with his back to goal and bring other players into the game type of player, maybe the two can be distinguished between? (or maybe I just need to change my mindset *)

I hope this is seen as the constructive criticism its meant to be, I think if I can just get the hang of the tactics system I'm going to be completely hooked to this game as everything else about the game seems spot on, the balance of how 'in depth' it is considering it’s a handheld game seems about right to me.

* - I wanted to put one of those little smiling faces in place of these but I dont know how to, yes i'm rubbish.

• SI Staff

With regards to the player roles - when you're on the page which allows selection of them - hit the title section with the 'Info' icon on it and the assistant will appear and describe the currently selected role in reasonable detail.

I'm aware some people are struggling a little with tactics/roles - so one of the things I'm putting into the next update is some additional information upon each players 'positions' page.

This will show his 'preferred role' (ie. where the player thinks he plays best) and your assistant managers suggested role for him. These wil often be the same, but might differ slightly (normally they differ mainly when the player in question likes playing in a demanding role and the assistant doesn't think he's up to it at your club for some reason).

Hope this helps,

Marc

• SI Staff
Ah, excellent, thank you, i'll take a look at that.

If its going to help i'll 'report' back on how i get on in season 2 (might take me 2 or 3 days)

That'd be great if you don't mind - getting 'live' feedback from users is a huge help in understanding how people play the game in the wild (as different people have different styles of play, tactics etc. and thus will run into different issues ...).

Thanks for your help :D

Happy to help

Having now read the player roles 'info' they all makes perfect sense to me now (maybe I wouldn't have created this thread if I'd spotted that earlier instead of just diving headlong into the game), I will now certainly be setting one of my strikers to 'poacher' and I think the other to complete striker and let you know how I go.

A quick update

I'm 27 games into my 2nd season, currently 3rd in the league, 7 points off leaders, doing slightly better than first season but still struggling a bit for goals, got 38 league goals (which includes a 7-0 thumping of bristol city at home), lowest scorers in the top 6 but best defence in the league (conceded 18)

I signed higuain and am playing him as a poacher (scored 8 in 29) and rooney (scored 12 in 31) as a complete striker, still got the 442 diamond, every player is averaging over 7, both strikers over 7.4, hargreaves (DMC) 8.0! I havent tinkered with tactics much this season.

Not really sure where I go from here, any tactics I try seem to give me the same sort of results, 7-0 aside its always narrow wins or narrow defeats and I'm playing an attacking mentaity for the vast majority of games, I dont think I really have a feel for how my team responds to different ways of playing, maybe 1.5 seasons isnt enough for this though?

Archived