Board Takeover + Rafa Benitez = Unemployment (nearly)

On my current save, i have taken Stoke from Premier League mediocrity to world beaters within the span of 12 years...but today, the dream nearly became a nightmare when i came close to losing my job to The Special One.........Rafa Benitez!!

For the first time ever during one of my saves, my team gets taken over but not only did it put me in a worse financial position than Stoke were in before, due to the new chairman 'having strong ties in spain,' Rafa Benitez was going to have my job! Even when i got the 'message from new board' they even said that Rafa was a big possibility but they were going to give me a couple of games before making a decision. I mean, COME ON...this is just a brief comparison of Rafa and myself since i started the save:

Me: 5x premier leagues, 4x FA cups, 6x league cups, 1x champions league...etc etc, you know where this is going...

Benitez: 5x sackings, 2 years without a club and diddly squat in silverware.

Luckily, the new chairman got of the crack and could see i was the better manager by a mile (also Rafa retired and disappeared from the game a month later) and i kept my job.

Has anyone else nearly lost their job to a moron?

No. Had a couple of takeovers in a Liverpool save on FM09 but they were just chairman promotions from within. I'd love a tycoon to take over my side.

Oh it wasn't a tycoon, like i said, i was in a better financial state before i got taken over! I thought...'finally! I'm the team getting taken over!' yet i was left with 0 transfer budget and nearly no job!

Hahaha i had the same thing happen at Nottingham Forest, but because it was in 2040 my replacement would of been some worthless regen called calum barrett with his only achievement been getting Birmingham relegated and you know what he kept turning up at games trying to put pressure on me. Luckily they decided against it because i was 1st in the Championship and was in the league cup semi final and eventually the fa cup semi final.

Hahaha i had the same thing happen at Nottingham Forest, but because it was in 2040 my replacement would of been some worthless regen called calum barrett with his only achievement been getting Birmingham relegated and you know what he kept turning up at games trying to put pressure on me. Luckily they decided against it because i was 1st in the Championship and was in the league cup semi final and eventually the fa cup semi final.

Yup, I had Steve Bruce stalking me because they reckoned I was going to be sacked for him to take over.

In my Sydney FC save i was taken over by a consortium led by Zanetti and I got a news message saying i could be replaced as manager by one of my coaches who i brought to the club! In the end i kept my jobb but i'd bet if you did poorly just after the new board came in you would be replaced.

I have had that happen to me several times. It's never actually happened though. Does it ever?

nah i don't think it would actually happen...i would be fuming if so...

and to the poster that said, 'these thing happen in real life' well, not the example i gave! if it was a more successful manager etc then its understandable but replacing one of the most successful managers of all time for a manager who is awful just because the chairman has 'ties' in spain, highly unlikely

I got sacked on one of my saves, think it was on FM 09 or FM 10... just taken a job in the premier league with west ham I think, they had a take over and they kicked me out after 4 games won 1 drew 1 and lost 2.. wasn't happy and they replaced me with some crap who didn't last much longer

in FM 10 i took Blackburn to the and FA Cup, League Cup and Premier League victory and the board was taken over. They threatened to sack me in favour of their own manager but in the end they kept me. It's all part of the game i think and if you're getting results you wont get sacked. Just SI keeping it real.

Yep, I've had it on FM10. Lead Norwich to the Premiership in the first season, kept them there and got them into Europe by season 4. Fifth season came along I was top and was sacked and replaced by sodding Gerard Houllier following a board take over by a French consortium! Bah!

I've had it happen :-( i got sacked lol. I was Roma on 07 or 08 and had finished 2nd in the first season and then won the league the next season for first time in ages... Then next season i was doing okish(top 5 - but still only like 3 or 4 points off 1st) couple of months into the season and the takeover thing happened... had the threats. I was hoping they would take into account i won the league for the first time for a while(a decent record i felt) But... Then i got sacked :-(

At the time i felt disheartened that i'd put so many hours in and got fired through no fault of my own. But oh well - i kinda think why didn't i carry on to see if i could get a job somewhere else?

I had it on FM10 with Newport. Got them all the way to the Prem and into Europe, then we get a board takeover and I was to be replaced but that never happened as I carried on winning games.

The other side of it was in FM11 where I was managing Northwich in the BSS and had a takeover, I was doing quite poorly (just outside relegation zone) however my job status was secure. After the takeover was completed I was replaced by some regen manager who went on to get them relegated. I moved on to Salisbury City and got them promoted, now I'm in the play-off positions for the BSP and we are getting taken over. The same message has come through about getting a new manager but I hope with my better success rate I'll be able to keep my job this time!

Yep, I've had it on FM10. Lead Norwich to the Premiership in the first season, kept them there and got them into Europe by season 4. Fifth season came along I was top and was sacked and replaced by sodding Gerard Houllier following a board take over by a French consortium! Bah!

obviously a joke my friend, intended to imply that i was about to lose my job to someone far superior and Rafa Benitez being the punchline...

Happened on my Arsenal game way back on FM07, we got taken over by a tycoon, there were rumours in the media he wanted Javier Aguirre and the new owner said he wasn't sure whether I was the right man or not, after a few games however I got a message saying that my job was safe...

Archived