Stuck in a rut - Advice needed!

Playing as Watford, 6th season in. I'm doing really well, got the stadium expanded from 17,000 to 30,000, promoted to the prem in my 2nd season, got Europa League last season (1 point off champions league :() and started the season pretty optimistic. HOWEVER, 12/13 games in and I am in the bottom 3! Although my status says 'stable', I know this is not the case, or will not be for very long.

The problem I have is my team! Players like Johnny Russell, who scored 17 premier league goals for me in his first season, have been nothing short of woeful for me. My assistant manager constant says 'we are struggling to create chances' and 'if we can't pass, we can't score and we're not going to win'. Ok! I accept that! But every game is the same! I set passing to 'short', tempo to the slowest possible setting, my touchline instructions are always 'work ball into box' and 'pass into space'. Surely these alone will ensure I create some chances at least!?

Don't tell me I have a bad team, because I've done damn well in the game with them so far.

Help needed soon please guys! I cannot just resign as I am a Watford fan, and I cannot walk away from my club like that! I need help before I get sacked!

The problem I have is my team! Players like Johnny Russell, who scored 17 premier league goals for me in his first season, have been nothing short of woeful for me. My assistant manager constant says 'we are struggling to create chances' and 'if we can't pass, we can't score and we're not going to win'. Ok! I accept that! But every game is the same! I set passing to 'short', tempo to the slowest possible setting, my touchline instructions are always 'work ball into box' and 'pass into space'. Surely these alone will ensure I create some chances at least!?

Sounds very much like a tactical issue tbh.

The best thing to do would be to post up a screenshot but in general from what I can see:

A) Short passing - This is the passing range you give a player, to make it work you need to have players/options within that range to receive the pass. By using this option you are also ignoring the opportunities that can be created via longer passes.

B) Slow tempo - Slowing the game down and having time on the ball works well when you are the better side controlling a match but when faced with stronger opposition it can be an issue. Allowing the opposition time to get a defensive shape back makes defending easier for them while if your players are dwelling on the ball they will lose possession too often when closed down.

C) Work into box - Shouldn't be used all the time but just during the matches where you see your players having lots of long shots (more than 50% of all shots perhaps). It also one thing to tell your players to work it into the box but another for them to actually do it when faced with a good defence that blocks them out.

D) Pass into space - This increases the frequency of through balls but you are also telling them to pass short which is really limiting the opportunities.

Ok. I have read what you said and will review my tactics. The tactics I am using are 4 at the back, 2 in the centre of midfield, 2 attacking wingers and 2 forwards (typically one target man and one poacher). I am currently looking into 4 at the back, 2 defensive mids, 2 attacking wingers, 1 attacking mid and one striker, though I am not sure how much I like the idea of having such a massive gap in my midfield. Thanks for your help fellas!

I agree with Cougar, except that since your club has been steadily growing in reputation and results the past few seasons, the low-tempo game would work generally well since more teams will try to park the bus against you and you may need to be patient to pull them out of shape.

Tempo at the lowest setting seems slightly extreme though; have you always played like that or did you adjust it after recent poor form? Sometimes I use the default setting as a guide, i.e. say I'm playing control mentality with short passing, the slider for tempo will be slightly right of center. If I want to play a more patient game then I move the slider left from that default (5-6 clicks at most); works decently for me.

I do like short passing because it allows me to keep possession, but you may want a couple of players with a good passing rating (ideally in midfield) set to mixed/direct so they will still try killer balls when they are on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give you all an update. Changed my tactics round completely, qualified for the Europa League, 5 games into the new season and I've drawn 3-3 with Arsenal away, beaten United 3-2 at home and drawn 2-2 with Inter at home in Europe. THings are looking good fingers crossed. Cheers for the help!

Just thought I'd give you all an update. Changed my tactics round completely, qualified for the Europa League, 5 games into the new season and I've drawn 3-3 with Arsenal away, beaten United 3-2 at home and drawn 2-2 with Inter at home in Europe. THings are looking good fingers crossed. Cheers for the help!

FINALLY!

Im really happy that you have now sorted your problem. Just goes to show the people who make the ranting threads about not being able to win anymore, striker cant score, defence cant defend and the game is broken threads that if you actually figure out what is wrong and change it, all will be well again. This thread should be a sticky and linked to for every rant thread of these types that gets made.

So to the OP. Well done for not ranting and asking for help, taking the advice given on board and now turning your game around :thup:

FINALLY!

Im really happy that you have now sorted your problem. Just goes to show the people who make the ranting threads about not being able to win anymore, striker cant score, defence cant defend and the game is broken threads that if you actually figure out what is wrong and change it, all will be well again. This thread should be a sticky and linked to for every rant thread of these types that gets made.

So to the OP. Well done for not ranting and asking for help, taking the advice given on board and now turning your game around :thup:

Yeah sorry I took so long to get back chaps. I appreciate the help!

Yeah sorry I took so long to get back chaps. I appreciate the help!

Sorry. When I said FINALLY I didnt mean it in a sarcastic way because you have replied. Its one of the curses of what you say in your head being completely different to how it looks written down. Im just happy that somebody has finally made a thread where they actually ask for help, take the advice and get results instead of the usual 'the game is broken' threads because somebody loses a few games.

I hope you continue your winning ways and enjoy your save. :thup:

good stuff glad to see a change in tactics has turned it around for you!

What did you end up playing instead? I use the 4-2-2-2 similar to what you were playing before but i always have my two central mids as ball winners or deep lying playmakers.

I went for 4 at the back. 2 wingers on the halfway line, 1 centre mid, 2 attacking mids and one striker. (Basically a diamond formation). Working wonders for me so far. Played 10 games in the premier league, won 8, drawn 1 and lost 1. 2nd in the League against Man City, about to play them now. Just qualified from my Europa League group and this season is going v well!

Yeah no worries mate no offence taken!

This whole "the computer learns your tactic" myth really needs to die. In FM11, your tactic actually gets better the more you use it, up to a point. After that it is static.

What has changed is your reputation, meaning teams play differently against you, and a new approach is needed.

The clearest sign of that is when you are the big team in your league. Undisputed king. You can use one tactic for 100 seasons if you can keep finding or forging the right players for it. I have around 4 seasons of using the exact same tactic right now, and last season I was unbeaten and on track for 100 points up until I won the league, at which point the team stopped performing. This season I've just beat my main rivals 3-0, even though they are in great form too. Why? I made a good, solid tactic that suited my players, then when I replaced them I did so with players that can also fill those roles just as well.

Archived