(if anyone wants to weigh in with Amd Athlon processors then please do - i'm not a fan but if you've got a recommendation then please make it)

Depends on your budget. I've said this before and I'll say it over and over lol

Buy the most expensive computer you can afford - you will only find yourself buying one every 2-3 years - if you buy a top of the range now you can expect 6 or so years out of it.

There's a new range of processors out that I prefer over the AMD Athlon series.

i3 processor

i5 processor

i7 processor

Each computer will be more expensive than the last, ie, i3 is chepaer than i5 and i5 is cheaper than i7 (where i7 is the dearest of the lot) but that's only because it's an awesome processor.

You will need a minimum of 3 gb RAM but 4gb+ is highly advantageous.

If you can get a laptop with an Dedicated Graphics card then all the better, they get more expensive as the numbers go up from 256mb, 512mb and 1gb

If it has an Shared Graphics card - don't fret the i3, i5, i7, processors are more than capable of 3D graphics - it's just that the above sentence ^^^ is more advantageous but a tad more expensive.

They're the main 3 things you will need.

Starting with the cheapest/bare minimum you should consider for a laptop

Around £400

i3 processor

3gb ram +

Dedicated graphics card or shared (but dedicated prefered)

Around £500 to £700

i5 processor

4gb+ Ram

Around £700+

i7 processor

4gb+ Ram

Obviously the bigger the hard drive the better.

I have 160 gb drive and it's plenty big for my needs. But you may get 250 or 500, obviously the bigger the better, 1tb is bigger than 250, 500 gb

So look into your budget and weigh up some options.

Dell Outlet is a great place to look

I've seen others going to Tesco

But shop around, don't just buy the first one you see.

If you want a cheap upgrade and want the game to run better wack some more RAM in it if you have space. Can get a decent amount for £30 or so

I think the max Ram in a Lenovo x60 is 2gb. Which if the OP can get PC world or something to install for a fair price it would be something anyway.

Computers don't last forever. That's why I start saving for a new one the day I buy one.

€10 x 52 = 520 and in the 5 yeasr time I have approx €2600 to spend on my new computer (give and take €10 every couple of weeks for sweets)

Obviously the bigger the hard drive the better.

I have 160 gb drive and it's plenty big for my needs. But you may get 250 or 500, obviously the bigger the better, 1tb is bigger than 250, 500 gb

Absolutely not true. Performance-wise, 1tb drives are slower than 160gb drives (usually the seek time on smaller drives is lower), and you should consider not only the size, but also the RPMs and the affidability of it. If you want faster data-access you could even get a SSD.

Absolutely not true. Performance-wise, 1tb drives are slower than 160gb drives (usually the seek time on smaller drives is lower), and you should consider not only the size, but also the RPMs and the affidability of it. If you want faster data-access you could even get a SSD.

What do you mean absolutely not true? FFS? Do you recommend they get a 160gb or a 1tb drive if both computers are going the same price? Seek time is so small an argument here it borders on ridiculous.

Other things affect speed like Rotational Delay Latency so what if the 160gb has a slower RDL than the 1TB then what????? (effectively what I'm asking you is if one computer has a 5400 (the 160gb) and one has 7200 rpm (1tb) drive which one would be best?)

The seek time for the drive is a moot point here - sure a bigger hard drive may have a slightly longer seek time but it's so miniscule it's not worth talking about.

As for SSD they are considerably expensive and will exponentially increase the price of the computer.

thanks for all the replys fellas. might take alot of saving up haha.

For now you might enquire about getting more RAM. That might ease your wows but won't speed things up to a great effect.

Game Booster might help but it's such an old computer you have you should start saving right away!

one last thing. where do i get ram from and what do i do with it? :)

head to your local computer store - dixons - pc world - currys or whatever (probably very expensive)

Ring up a computer repair shop in your area.

RAM should only be about £40 or so installing it should only take about an hour or so at most - so it could cost 150 or thereabouts. Get a few prices from different places.

What do you mean absolutely not true? FFS? Do you recommend they get a 160gb or a 1tb drive if both computers are going the same price? Seek time is so small an argument here it borders on ridiculous.

Other things affect speed like Rotational Delay Latency so what if the 160gb has a slower RDL than the 1TB then what????? (effectively what I'm asking you is if one computer has a 5400 (the 160gb) and one has 7200 rpm (1tb) drive which one would be best?)

The seek time for the drive is a moot point here - sure a bigger hard drive may have a slightly longer seek time but it's so miniscule it's not worth talking about.

As for SSD they are considerably expensive and will exponentially increase the price of the computer.

ease up, if you notice i've mentioned the RPMs, and as a system drive it is not reccomended to have a large drive. Large drives are better used as data drives. This because in the system drive data is always being written constantly, and the seek time reduces the stress and imrpoves the performance. Most people don't know that 1tb can be worse then e.g. 80gb drives, so they go by size. The same goes for the graphic cards, in which the memory size comes in as an optional factor, because the most important thing is the chip (GPU).

What I was saying is to never go by "THE BIGGER, THE BETTER", in most cases that's untrue.

1Tb would not be worse than 80 gb. You're talking complete garbage in terms of stress and performance, each are tested to high standards, far more testing than what a casual user would use it for.

In a laptop most computers come with a 5200 rpm and it's rare to find a 7200 rpm in a laptop for the casual user buying off the shelf on a budget.

Desktops come mostly with 7200 rpm and you can get 10000 rpm if you look hard enough on the shelf/online or custom build etc.

But in terms of SEEK time you're talking nonsense in the terms the end user here on the forum will use it for , 1tb would be more beneficial - more storage space, than a 80gb.

What you're suggesting is that they should go for a smaller hard drive that still runs at 5,200 rather than get a 1tb hard drive that runs at 5,200 where the seek time would be so small in comparison it's not worth even noting.

And that's why I won't ease up. You just confused the matter picking out a non-sensical argument out of something I wrote off the cuff and it really has no bearing on choosing a computer on what the seek time is for the hard drive is.

Absolutely completely and utterly pointless waste of time even bring up the seek time.

1Tb would not be worse than 80 gb. You're talking complete garbage in terms of stress and performance, each are tested to high standards, far more testing than what a casual user would use it for.

In a laptop most computers come with a 5200 rpm and it's rare to find a 7200 rpm in a laptop for the casual user buying off the shelf on a budget.

Desktops come mostly with 7200 rpm and you can get 10000 rpm if you look hard enough on the shelf/online or custom build etc.

But in terms of SEEK time you're talking nonsense in the terms the end user here on the forum will use it for , 1tb would be more beneficial - more storage space, than a 80gb.

What you're suggesting is that they should go for a smaller hard drive that still runs at 5,200 rather than get a 1tb hard drive that runs at 5,200 where the seek time would be so small in comparison it's not worth even noting.

And that's why I won't ease up. You just confused the matter picking out a non-sensical argument out of something I wrote off the cuff and it really has no bearing on choosing a computer on what the seek time is for the hard drive is.

Absolutely completely and utterly pointless waste of time even bring up the seek time.

I was making a point, if you don't agree with what I said you could've done so in a more polite way. I don't want to argue anymore over this, since it seems like your idea is immutable. I was just trying to help the OP in the best way I could do since I do actually work at a computer hardware store where I actually get to repair and recover HDDs (obviously the soft way) among other things and I thought I could share my experience on this.

I'm sorry for my enrigsh, but it's not my natural language.

Archived