Poor defensive reactions

Before I go on, sorry if something about this has been posted, wasn't sure what to search to check.

I've got an issue with defenders waiting an unrealistic amount of time to challenge an oncoming opponent. Often my defenders would stand nearly motionless while the opposition striker, who they were a good 10 yards ahead of, simply jogs it past them, and only after he's a few yards gone do they realise he might be a threat on goal. It's been a minor issue throughout my game but I can't recall which game(s) the issue led to a goal because at first I didn't think it would happen again, so I've only got a few screenshots of a recent chance where thankfully my goalkeeper came to the rescue.

The first image shows where their striker has picked up the ball and the second shows where he's ended up after running in a straight line. Rather than either of my defenders moving across to block his path, they waited and waited and eventually their striker had a shot on goal (and really should have scored). I imagine some people might suggest an error in communication between the defenders but I just find it hard to believe that Championship level defenders, one of whom is 32 and has played over 340 league games, wouldn't be able to sort it out between them which one will close down the striker. And they both speak English.

fm1.th.png

fm2g.th.png

A similar chance occurred later in the game where I had a defender around 30 yards from my goal in the centre, and the same striker running towards goal on the left flank from the halfway line. Rather than close him down, the defender simply jogged back in a straight line towards my goal and only when their striker had reached my penalty area did he decide it would probably be best to try and stop his shot. Again my goalkeeper saved it and they should have scored.

Archived