2nd Season Syndrome

First season I did really well, finishing 5th in the league. Unfortunately I had only a very limited transfer budget so my squad is largely the same apart from one young brazilian who is not quite ready for the first team just yet.

This season however, with largely the same squad, I'm really struggling. My striker who last season scored 21 in 36 has got 2 in 12 this, and my defence are quite leaky too. Anyone got any ideas on countering second-season syndrome?

I understand it might be to do with my rep changing so teams are playing differently against me, but I'm not sure what to do about it?

You need to be less adventurous going forward. Teams will now be playing more defensively against you, so won't allow you so much space on the break. Try more patient build ups (i.e. use "control" and "retain possession"). Also, if you have a player who is good at shooting from long range, encourage him to do so.

The striker... you might want to have a chat with him about his form. If he's playing well but just not scoring, then don't bother, and hope that changes to the team as a whole see him add goals to his game. Consider giving him a rest if he still doesn't score, or risk it and criticise him anyway.

Also look at saying different things in team talks. The "I have faith in you" team talk can work wonders on a player who isn't playing quite as well as you'd like, and if he is central to the side, he might lift the whole team.

Look at how you are conceding, and try and find a solution to those problems. Look at how you are scoring, and try and find a way to make those situations come about a lot.

Archived