Whats your tactical approach??

just curious to see what other managers tactical approach is as to how they work around a tactic, as in do you create a tactic based on your current squad or do you create a tactic looking to bring in specific players for specific roles?

When I take over a new club i calculate the best formation and tactical approach for the players at my disposal. In the pre-season during the friendlies some players will come in and go out, and in that phase I hone my tactics. Once the season starts my formation and general tactical approach is set. From then on i nurture my youths and use the transfer market to find players to fit into those positions and roles.

I try to build a tactic then acquire the players for it, that being said if I want a wide tactic but my team has no natural wingers, I won't be that hard headed to stick with the tactic. I like to have 2 wingers one is an inside foward cutting in from the wing on his strong foot (left winger right footed) just to cause some problems in the opposition area. Having an attacking fullback come and fill up space when that inside foward is cutting in is something I like to have. But whatever side the more attacking wide player (inside foward, the other winger is just a winger, beat the fullback get a cross in) is on I will have a midfielder that is more defensive so as to not get exposed as I have my fullback and winger going balls to the walls. Hopefully this inside foward will drag defenders out of position and leave a teammate open too, basically causing lots of problems, this player should be quick and skillful with an eye for a pass, I normally try to have this player as my best, I've never managed messi but I can only dream what he would be like in this role (real life he's world player of the year so....)

I also stopped playing with a target man as I like to swap positions of the two fowards and if you have one big and one quick striker you can't swap the quick small striker with a jumping rating of 9 to the target man position set to feed the ball "to head" And I feel that if playing a team like chelsea or man utd, Vidic and Terry will have my taller target man type striker in their pocket and beat them for headers and just mark them out of the game if he's not swapping positions, but if that striker swaps positions with my quicker foward, the quicker foward will expose terry and vidic with his speed, thus giving my team more options over the course of the game, a complete foward and an advanced foward set to swap positons or a deep lying foward and advanced foward to do the same both with attacking mentality (I like to attack with both) I also try to have my fowards with teamwork and work rate over ten for both, and if not then only 1 striker who is lazy and the striker better be really fast or really skillful and I will pair them with a striker that works very hard so there is not 2 lazy strikers up there trying to win games on their own

I also swap my central midfielders too, again just to have some more options so they aren't stuck against an essien or palacios all game, being marked out and out run all game, lampard works hard and stuff but he's not going to catch a faster midfielder all game and it will be hard for him to keep up (although the stamina and desire are there) so dragging lampard box to box 1/2 of the game because I swapped him with my other midfielder is better than dragging essien box to box all game essien has the speed, stamina, and strength to chase you and rough you up all game, midfielders like sissoko from toulouse are great because they are so all around and they can win headers too

my fullbacks...I learned managing blackburn with givet playing left back that having a good tackling fullback can be great, so from then on I tried to have fullbacks that were good at tackling, basically go in really hard and tackle, if they add to the attack with skill so be it, but they have to work hard either way to get up and down the field, but all I really try for stats wise is a good tackler to get stuck in and make sure the wingers I play against aren't having a nice time after that I want them to just have good teamwork and work rate to run up and down the field and either support or attack depending on what side they are on

I try to have all my players with 15 determination and I pay attention to stats like anticipation and decisions but ultimately I try to have balance across the field

I have been playing a 4-2-2-2

FB---CB--CB---WB

------CM--CM-----

WG--------------IF

------CF--AF-----

basically a 4-4-2 but more attacking I guess with the wide midfielders moved up to wingers/inside fowards

I have a hard time scoring goals and winning games without 2 strikers/fowards up front and I really like the winger/inside foward combo on the wings so because of that I am forced to play that kind of 4-4-2 and as of yet I have been too scared to try t 3-3-2-2 with 3 center backs a DM 2 CM and the same front 4

I like to have my midfielders complete as possible so I can swap them and same with the 2 fowards/strikers, I like to have good jumping ratings on my fowards so there is never a drop off of when it comes to winning headers

I usually set my tactic according to the squad I have. But I like to shape my squad to fit a 4-4-2 as I don't know how to effectively use an AMC... I'm now using:

--------------------GK--------------------

DR--------DC(cover)------DC------------DL

--------------DM-------------------------- (anchor man)

------------------------CM---------------- (adv. playmaker)

WG------------------------------------WG

--------------DLF------AF----------------

4-1-2-3. Yes, 4 defenders, 1 CM, 2 OMC, 3CF. All my team instructions to default (literally everything), same to players instructions and roles.

I'm having a laugh, this "tactic" actually does work quite well, can somebody try this (same the game before, obviously).

I generally try and create a tactic that suits the players I have, but if I can't find one I like, then I try and bring in players for one of these two tactics:

4-4-2: GK(GK); DR (FB, auto), DC (stopper), DC (cover), DL (FB, auto); AMR (winger, attack), MC (depends on player), MC (ibid), AML (winger, attack); two strikers with roles that suit them.

4-2-3-1: GK (GK); DR (FB, auto), DC (stopper), DC (cover), DL (FB, auto); MC (BWs), MC (APs or CMs); AMR (IFa), AMC (APa), AML (IFa); striker in role that suits him (usually advanced forward or complete forward).

I change the FBs to WBs if they have high stamina, and I change the roles of the wingers if they'd suit another one better. Generally, I prefer 4-2-3-1 these days.

I always look at players as "roles" i always like having a trident in the midfield that is normally composed by:

1) A thug, with high strength,aggression,bravery which main job is to kick people around, get the ball back and just keep it simple.

2) A playmaker, that will just spray passes around to get the ball out of defense and start every attack but must still be competent defensively.

3) An attacking midfielder with some good pace,good dribbling,flair,etc to create that moment of magic to unlock a defense and win a match.

Pretty much every tactic i design must have that trident, i don't like playing a 442 so will always look to have a 451/433 though right now i'm playing a 352 and enjoying it since it's been a while i've used a formation with 3 DC's.

The way my team will play will pretty much depend on the status that it will have on the league, either way i always look to play short passing and i like above anything else to have a really tight defence so my strategy is never particularly offensive.

Archived