FM 2012 Suggestion: Board Interaction (Comprimises and Ultimatums)

Was thinking about Football Manager last night (this is how exciting my life is) and the boardroom interaction part of the game.

At the moment you can go in and request to update training facilities, youth facilities, stadium or get more money for the team and if the board deny your request you can issue an ultimatum and then that's it. With some clubs, especially lower league clubs who have a talented manager the club they would not want to lose the manager, but at the same time wouldn't want to overspend on the things being requested. That's why I think there should be a secondary (after ultimatum maybe) option to ask for future moneys to be directed into a certain area.

For example I am playing as AFC Hornchurch at the moment and I want my Youth Facilities to be upgraded. The money's not there so I either give an ultimatum or leave it. Instead I'd like to be able to say something along the lines of "I understand we don't have the money right now, but I'd like any future funds to be directed into the youth development of the club."

This would be cool as it allows you to plan long term what type of club you want to build. You can request future money for transfers if you want, the new stadium or upgrades you need or to develop the youth and training facilities. You can already request (or you could in FM10) upgrades to facilities as part of your contract negotiations, but this would add a secondary level to boardroom interaction when the money isn't there beyond the "back me or sack me" thing we have at the moment. Think of them as boardroom promises (we have manager promises to players already) that you can use in your negotiations with the club.

Obviously this would only usually happen with the right chairman and work if the manager was well-respected or built up enough credit with the club to be trusted with the long-term direction of it and wouldn't happen all the time.

Yay or nay?

This is a good idea.

I'd like to see something like "Yes, we'll increase your wage budget but we expect to see results." So you'd still be putting your job on the line but not in an "all or nothing" sulk.

Adding this would be nice. The board could set new goals so the request could be accepted.

For example: "We will improve our training facilities if you manage to win [insert competition name here/promotion].

This would be logical too, because the board could use the competition/promotion prize money in the area you asked.

I think it'd be a good way of developing that relationship with your board. You look at the way Wenger's philosophy is trusted at Arsenal, or the single-mindedness of the Newcastle chairman who will do as he pleases. I think it'd be a good thing to develop.

Yea this is a part of the game that could be developed farther. If the right kind of chairmen and manager work together maybe they compromise more? Almost like chairman personalities.

Good idea OP

Archived