How is player value calculated?

I didn't use to pay much attention to this arbitrary number in previous FM versions because it seldom had anything to do with sale prices. But now that most unsolicited transfer offers come in exactly at value and players I offer out can be sold at value at best, I watch values quite closely.

On the other hand, quite often values are completely off as well but not for top level players. World class clubs have youngsters in their reserve/U19 teams valued over £1-3m but in fact they're so rubbish that their actual value is not even £1,000.

Has there been any research into what exactly improves player value and what reduces it? Besides the obvious, i.e. first team appearances, avg.rating, international caps, reputation.

What do you do to make your players as valuable pre-sale as possible?

I'll bump this to the top as I feel it needs more exposure. I've also wondered about this.

One thing I've noticed is it that if you take two identical youngsters (same stats etc) and one plays for Liverpool and the other plays for Boreham Wood, the one from Liverpool is valued WAY higher. I'm sure there's a logical reason for this but I can't think what it is...

Player value also tends to go up and down quite a lot (at least in the lower leagues where I play). It seems that near the beginning and end of seasons values are quite high and then they drop down mid season only to go back up again.

I find it all a bit baffling.

It should have no implications on CA/PA.

Player Value, if im not mistaken, is calculated by wages earned and length of contract. That is the main and most influencial aspect of it. What follows it is reputation.

One thing I've noticed is it that if you take two identical youngsters (same stats etc) and one plays for Liverpool and the other plays for Boreham Wood, the one from Liverpool is valued WAY higher. I'm sure there's a logical reason for this but I can't think what it is...

Possibly the one in Liverpool would get more exposure and thus higher reputation. I have no proof but I think reputation is involved. I have no clue what else is in the formula.

I do agree with the above, in that club rep has something to do with it.

Managed Sydney FC, bought a player for £60k. Played him quite a lot, won the Asian Champions League and then boom, his value the season after is £1.3M. I presume this is because of club reputation?

Did anyone mention age? I mean it's common sense but still. Club/League reputation clearly plays a role (at least in affecting a players reputation). Real, Barcelona, ManUtd always have high valued talents with laughable attributes and then again players from smaller leagues/countries/clubs with good attributes can sometimes be bought dirt cheap.

How it should be (as IRL)

Perceived Talent (different from potential)

Contract Length and wage

League Playing in

Value to club (eg. first team or bench warmer)

If playing often, how well he actually does

Then maybe media hype

In the game, I think it's reputation of player, club and league, contract wage/length and CA/PA

It should have no implications on CA/PA.

Player Value, if im not mistaken, is calculated by wages earned and length of contract. That is the main and most influencial aspect of it. What follows it is reputation.

What? Why was Rooney 26m then? Why was Walcott 12m? Why is Alex Chamberlain valued at 10m?

PA is most certainly a factor when it comes to young players. League and Club rep too.

If the AI wants to buy one of my youth players that is playing 1st team football and scoring regularly it will have to offer a heck of a lot more than the 5m or whatever price tag is on him. I know I can set his asking price. But that's not the point.

The point is any time I want to buy a youth player from the AI the asking price is 5m or whatever yet I end up spending 20 - 30 m on 17 year olds that play a leauge below me or in a lower league reputation than I.

It's barmy.

Get rid of this concept. There's no set and agreed upon market value IRL. The value is different for every club depending on their needs and style. Liverpool values Andy Caroll at 35m whereas Barcelona probably wouldn't even pay 10m. SI should have every club determine their own perceived value of a player.

form should be the biggest factor, but it seems to be of little effect.

on fm10 i had daniel sturridge in my wolves team who was hitting 50+ goals a season yet his value peaked at about 9 mil. if a real life player were to consistantly hit that many a season, his value would be absolutely huge.

• 6 years later...

Bumping this thread to ask a question.

If form/average rating affects value, if i was man united and signed a rubbish non league striker, started him every game and kept reloading matches until he scored goals, and therefore had a high average rating, would his value go up?

Obviously CA/PA would be terrible, but he'd be scoring a goal a game in the premier league?

Simply by Man Utd signing him and giving him a contract his value would significantly increase.

Playing and scoring would then mean that the value fluctuates a little but nothing major.

More importantly you would never be able to sell him so the value would be mute.  The clubs that could afford him won't be interested as his perceived skill wouldn't be high enough and the clubs around his level would never afford his transfer fee or wage.

He would simply sit at Man Utd until he was eventually released and then would sit around unemployed for 6 months - a year because his wage demands were too high for his skill level.  If he hasn't retired/been deleted from the database by then he'll eventually reduce his wage demands to a realistic level and sign for a club around his skill level.

Most importantly it is about the player's CA.. because in pre-editor on nations page, the transfer values of player are determined by group of CA's then there is other less factors, like his contract, his form e.t.c..

On 01/02/2011 at 14:25, Smurf said:

Currently there is no concept. The player gets a value and the AI can't see past it (when it comes to your team - no problem bidding heavily on other players)

PSG just bid £97 million for my left back. He's only valued around £45 mil. 

I had to say no, because he's 24 and probably the best left back I've ever seen.

5 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

Simply by Man Utd signing him and giving him a contract his value would significantly increase.

IIRC a strategy using this is when one of the bigger/richer leagues bids on a player to instead opt for % of sale since the day they arrive at the new place their value can often shoot up.

I remember a friend of mine when I was doing the climb from Vanarama laughing because a youth player for his Arsenal was immediately worth more that my entire team the moment he signed lol.

14 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

IIRC a strategy using this is when one of the bigger/richer leagues bids on a player to instead opt for % of sale since the day they arrive at the new place their value can often shoot up.

I remember a friend of mine when I was doing the climb from Vanarama laughing because a youth player for his Arsenal was immediately worth more that my entire team the moment he signed lol.

Yes.

Looking at one of my saves I have 5/6 former youth players at bigger clubs with 40% profit on sale fees.

Given they were all sold for max £500k then it can lead to to massive future fees.  There are a couple of players which are worth around £10m now which would net the club around £3-4m.  That would be a huge difference to a club struggling to break even each year but I also have one at Arsenal with a value of £50m, if he was sold you are talking about £20m+ coming to the club which would totally reshape the club.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

Yes.

Looking at one of my saves I have 5/6 former youth players at bigger clubs with 40% profit on sale fees.

Given they were all sold for max £500k then it can lead to to massive future fees.  There are a couple of players which are worth around £10m now which would net the club around £3-4m.  That would be a huge difference to a club struggling to break even each year but I also have one at Arsenal with a value of £50m, if he was sold you are talking about £20m+ coming to the club which would totally reshape the club.

My only issue is I seem to have bad luck and the players don't play/develop to become worth more and they eventually release on a free :P.  I probably need to be more mindful of the league they play in and 22-23 might be too late for me to sell?

I've tried to pay closer attention to their current lineup and estimate whether or not the new acquisition will get first team minutes now so I'm hoping I can get more success with that. I'd love a $10m payday!

Just now, alanschu14 said:

My only issue is I seem to have bad luck and the players don't play/develop to become worth more and they eventually release on a free :P.  I probably need to be more mindful of the league they play in and 22-23 might be too late for me to sell?

I've tried to pay closer attention to their current lineup and estimate whether or not the new acquisition will get first team minutes now so I'm hoping I can get more success with that. I'd love a $10m payday!

Yeah 22-23yo is too old.

You are really looking at those 16-19yos with 5* potential.  Realistically if they are good enough to be in your first team squad at that age (Say 1.5* CA+) with 4* + potential its doubtful you are going to be able to keep them so then you are looking for value when the clubs come knocking.  Try to aim to sell to a selling club, not too high but not too low either.  For example my last sale was to Stoke as a low-mid Premier League side, fast forward 4-5 years and hopefully Stoke are selling him to a Spurs/Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal etc.  If you aim too low you could find that the next club then sell to Stoke who then sell to a top side and your cut will be less.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

Yeah 22-23yo is too old.

You are really looking at those 16-19yos with 5* potential.  Realistically if they are good enough to be in your first team squad at that age (Say 1.5* CA+) with 4* + potential its doubtful you are going to be able to keep them so then you are looking for value when the clubs come knocking.  Try to aim to sell to a selling club, not too high but not too low either.  For example my last sale was to Stoke as a low-mid Premier League side, fast forward 4-5 years and hopefully Stoke are selling him to a Spurs/Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal etc.  If you aim too low you could find that the next club then sell to Stoke who then sell to a top side and your cut will be less.

Awesome thanks.

I admit I do tend to keep my younger players for first team and development.  I haven't had a huge issue with talking them down from their demands and I've had some help me push Skeid up to Premier League and now we have qualified for Euro Cup and whatnot.  There are a few clubs (including Watford) aggressively going after my 18 year old Left Back which I'm hesitant to sell because they are pretty excellent with 4.5-5* potential. Typically I would look to sell (not for % but for cost) later in their career.

Tricky balancing act but it's something I really love about managing lower quality countries.  I guess the joy is reconciling if it's worth selling the player compared to having him help out my first team and/or growing a bit more.  The latter will presumably get me more money up front assuming he does well (I expect he will) but man a $10m+ payday would definitely do wonders for my bottom line which I could then leverage into better facilities and whatnot.  Interesting predicament it seems!

Archived