Globetrotting Managers

After years of playing FM (and CM) as a big European club I've been getting into the idea of starting relatively small and being the journeyman manager, moving around countries (and continents).

With FM11 I started off managing New York in MLS, and in my first season managed to win the league (media prediction of 5th). After continuing with NY, I'm beginning to want to move to a club in another country (ideally Brazil, before jumping again towards Russia or Turkey, and then moving towards the bigger European clubs).

I've applied for various very small clubs in Brazil, Russia and Turkey but continually get rejected (presumably because I only have national reputation in the US, and, being a Brit in America, all I can speak is English).

Does anybody have any tips about how to be successful in applying for jobs in other continents? I'm involved in the NACL, but presumably even if I do well in that then I'm only going to increase my reputation in North America itself.

Its difficult and many people have complained about getting new jobs on this version. I started at Santos and won the club world championship, which sent my rep to world class, even then I could only move to Russia. It might be worth trying to win a few more titles or wait for the next patch and see if finding new jobs becomes easier.

The ability to get jobs in FM is different now in FM11. It's determined by stars. MLS is a 3-star league so only other 3-star leagues will consider you. Although I have no idea how rep would change if for example you win the 5-star World Cup.

I went from, in my career game:

New Zealand Premiership (0.5 stars) -> Chinese Yi League (0.5 stars) -> Chinese Jia League (1 star) -> Chinese Super League (2 stars) -> German 3.Liga (2 stars) -> 2.Bundesliga (3 stars) -> Ukraine Premier League (3 stars)

so I think my theory might be right.

The ability to get jobs in FM is different now in FM11. It's determined by stars. MLS is a 3-star league so only other 3-star leagues will consider you. Although I have no idea how rep would change if for example you win the 5-star World Cup.

I went from, in my career game:

New Zealand Premiership (0.5 stars) -> Chinese Yi League (0.5 stars) -> Chinese Jia League (1 star) -> Chinese Super League (2 stars) -> German 3.Liga (2 stars) -> 2.Bundesliga (3 stars) -> Ukraine Premier League (3 stars)

so I think my theory might be right.

Sounds a reasonable theory, but I went from dutch eredevise 3.5 stars to serie a 4.5 stars, i did though have a world class manager rep.

So maybe its a combo of your current league rep plus manager rep?

I also read that its very difficult to get a job whilst being unemployed.

Sounds a reasonable theory, but I went from dutch eredevise 3.5 stars to serie a 4.5 stars, i did though have a world class manager rep.

Would definitely agree that manager rep is just as (probably more so) important. For reference, MLS is 3 stars but been rejected by lower rated leagues in other countries.

Also wondering how much the "background" counts. I chose automatic when I started, which gave me Sunday League Footballer.

The backup plan may be to wait for the US National team job to become available and hope that a lot of domestic success gets me the job.

Starting Rep plays a role I believe. I started as Semi-Pro footballer.

I don't give a hoot about manager rep, it's a little inaccurate to me as World Class managers don't manage at Shakhtar...I really don't look at that too much

Did you manage a national team as well as a club team and if so, do well in them?

Starting Rep plays a role I believe. I started as Semi-Pro footballer.

I don't give a hoot about manager rep, it's a little inaccurate to me as World Class managers don't manage at Shakhtar...I really don't look at that too much

Did you manage a national team as well as a club team and if so, do well in them?

No I didn't manage a national team, applied for the Brazil job twice, but was rejected twice.

I started as a former professional player.

No I didn't manage a national team, applied for the Brazil job twice, but was rejected twice.

How much success did you have your Eredivisie team? If you managed to turn them into a major European force then it seems logical that you could get into leagues where there are other big European teams (although unfortunately, most of my experience of moving up through EU leagues is from Bundelisga to Serie A in FM10, and that was on the back of taking Kaiserslautern from second division to UEFA cup champions in 3-4 years)

How much success did you have your Eredivisie team? If you managed to turn them into a major European force then it seems logical that you could get into leagues where there are other big European teams (although unfortunately, most of my experience of moving up through EU leagues is from Bundelisga to Serie A in FM10, and that was on the back of taking Kaiserslautern from second division to UEFA cup champions in 3-4 years)

Only won 2 dutch cups and one league in 4 years.

Lazio are not one of the major seria A sides and were close to relegation when I went there. I don't think I would have gotten one of the top jobs.

I guess that's the reason you went from Eredivisie to Serie A then. It's because of your starting rep. :)

I believe it plays a big role of how easy (essentially like a difficulty level) you can go to better clubs and leagues.

Only won 2 dutch cups and one league in 4 years.

Lazio are not one of the major seria A sides and were close to relegation when I went there. I don't think I would have gotten one of the top jobs.

Interesting. Beginning to think the key is the background, at least unless you can have a lot of continental success.

Starting to regret choosing Automatic; and not making Mexico playable -- would at least give me some Spanish as a language to fall back on

Interesting. Beginning to think the key is the background, at least unless you can have a lot of continental success.

Starting to regret choosing Automatic; and not making Mexico playable -- would at least give me some Spanish as a language to fall back on

i did win the libertadores with santos and then the club world championship, this sent my rep to world class. At the start of the game my rep was national.

I always thought background only affected your starting rep.

Its difficult and many people have complained about getting new jobs on this version. I started at Santos and won the club world championship, which sent my rep to world class, even then I could only move to Russia. It might be worth trying to win a few more titles or wait for the next patch and see if finding new jobs becomes easier.

To me this sounds reasonable. In my opinion i can't see how winning everything with Santos would give you loads of options across the continent, but then again maybe at mid table seria a/la liga?

I started to do it with a Derby save. Started unemployed. Got the Derby job. Two seasons later I was offered the Lazio job. But by the time another team offered me a job I was already after winning two titles and two champ league trophies. I'm still managing them as I've built an awesome squad. And I'm leaving that post after my goalkeeper retires, I bought him when he was 19 and he's played nearly every game. I think he's 25 now? So around another 10 or 11 seasons with Lazio :)

Archived