Same team drawn in cups?

To be fair, two were finals, and the quarters are two years apart. Correct me if I am wrong, but haven’t Barcelona and Arsenal played each other in consecutive years? Though I’m not sure if they have been drawn in the same round as previous years ..

I just noticed that a lot of times I get the same team in cups at certain stages. Fair enough not the best example or whatever.

Not just champions league. But in home cups and things.

Simple question: Do you often face the same team in cups?

Not so much an issue - just wondering if others often face the bigger teams in cups rather than getting drawn against smaller teams.

If you have an example then please post. If not then don't worry about it.

With West Ham in FM10, I had a knack of always picking up Chelsea in the latter stages of most competitions. I haven’t notices anything with FM11, as I am only in the third season. I’ll keep a look out for anything weird :)

Just to give a real world example - I picked arsenal and chelsea at random as 'derby cup matches'

In recent years they have played in the following cup matches:

2009 (FA)

2007 (League Cup)

2004 (Champ)

2004 (FA)

2003 (FA)

2002 (FA)

If you notice not only did they meet in the FA cup for 3 consecutive years, they also met in the champions league and the FA cup in the same year.

Just to make sure I hadnt just gotten lucky - I tried Chelsea vs liverpool as well:

2009 (Champ)

2008 (Champ)

2007 (Champ)

2007 (League cup)

2006 (FA)

2005 (Champ)

I’m six games into my fourth season, and I have played Arsenal 16 times, about five more than Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/Man City.

Seven are league games, two Community Shield matches, two CL semi final matches, two CL quarter final matches, a League Cup final, and two FA Cup Semi final matches. They’re the only team of the traditional top four that I have a decent record against, currently leading by 3 points, and +4 GD.

What stages?

Chelsea vs Liverpool isn't very reflective especially since 4 England teams make it to the Q/Finals etc.

Here I am with At. Madird in the Final again. Same two teams in final within in two years?

64547905.jpg

I’m six games into my fourth season, and I have played Arsenal 16 times, about five more than Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool/Man City.

Seven are league games, two Community Shield matches, two CL semi final matches, two CL quarter final matches, a League Cup final, and two FA Cup Semi final matches. They’re the only team of the traditional top four that I have a decent record against, currently leading by 3 points, and +4 GD.

Oh man what team are you :)

That's a serious amount of matches!

What stages?

Chelsea vs Liverpool isn't very reflective especially since 4 England teams make it to the Q/Finals etc.

Here I am with At. Madird in the Final again. Same two teams in final within in two years?

64547905.jpg

What, you mean a bit like liverpool playing milan in the final within 2 years in real life...

I stand corrected. In the game you do not face the same team way too often.

So in those seasons with Liverpool vs Milan did Milan or Liverpool face the same team in the stages leading up the final that they did in previous seasons?

So in those seasons with Liverpool vs Milan did Milan or Liverpool face the same team in the stages leading up the final that they did in previous seasons?

I have absolutely no idea. I dont have access to the same level of database that we do in the game - thats why its SO obvious in game when a coincidence crops up, because the game tracks everything - in real life its bleedin hard to find this sort of information.

Why not? It's a great example!

Forget about home cups. Look only at Champions League games.

See this.

Season 2004-05: Chelsea vs Liverpool in semi-final

Season 2006-07: Chelsea vs Liverpool in semi-final

Season 2007-08 (guess what!): Chelsea vs Liverpool in semi-final... again! (two consecutive seasons, same stage)

Season 2008-09: Chelsea vs Liverpool in... quarter-final

If I saw something like this in FM, I'd probably thought that was suspicious... But this really happened.

And your record is not even close to this.

If you're a good team and you reach later stages of Champions League year after year, it's natural you'll face the same teams at some stages. Nothing wrong with that.

I stand corrected. In the game you do not face the same team way too often.

Liverpool beat Chelsea in semis both times.

In answer to the OP, it probably seems quite a high amount, but I reckon every team in real life has one team they seem to play more often than anyone else. For Liverpool is has been Chelsea over the past 7 or 8 years, for other teams it could be someone else.

It probably is more noticeable in game because you play so many matches in on sitting, and could get through a couple of seasons in a week of real time. At the end you could think, "wow, I've played Man Utd 7 times this week", but watching your team in real life you might not think "wow, we've played Man Utd 7 times in the past 5 years".

Archived