How do Barcelona do it?

I mean they play the same tactics week in week out. Yet they win every week. Surely by now the Primera division should have worked them out and sent them on a downward spiral of draws and defeats. Pep's team talks must be amazing. ;-)

Except they dont play the same every week. Sometimes Alves plays like a winger, sometimes he plays like attacking wingback, sometimes they play with very high D-line sometimes a little deeper and so on and so forth

Except they dont play the same every week. Sometimes Alves plays like a winger, sometimes he plays like attacking wingback, sometimes they play with very high D-line sometimes a little deeper and so on and so forth

exactly. Technically they play the same formation for the whole season (pretty much) but they assign different roles for the majority of games. Pep Guardiola is truly a genius when it comes to tactically orienting his players on the pitch. Forget "The Special One".

From what I noticed he has played with Alves as a winger, he has done the "False Nine" with Messi sitting atop, he has done the general 433 they would prefer and they have played a lopsided 442 at times (vague, since it's inbetween 442 and 4231).

the key to barca is the movement of the players its a 4-3-3 formation that moves and changes in game, when the kepper has the ball it changes into a back 2 with puyol and pique taking up the two full back spots with Busquets droping in to take up the cb/dmc spot they get the ball knock it about them 3 with Messi, Iniesta Xavi and pedro coming in to take the ball off them, alves and the lb moving into the AML/R spots to offer width, also villa comes deep and moves into the channels to get the ball, the key is no one has a poss and even pep said he would be unhappy if his team walked off the pitch in the same formation they started, its the players movement and their footballing brain that sets them aside from teams like arsenal so in short, barca play the non formation that is kinda like turning up to an under 10's game and saying go have fun.... all in all if players are happy and have tallent they will play good football. anyway i have been on nightshift and im rambling so goodnight and the girl on sky sports news is hot... good night all

Nothing wrong with using the same tactic for every match, I've been doing that for years ;)

I slowly introduce new tactics to accommodate new players. I am a big fan of 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1. I tried 3-1-2-3-1, did decently.

In answer to people's question it was slightly tongue in cheek in response to the many tactic stops working threads. Barcelona's success is down to their quality of player and the little tweaks. But there still is a fundamental point of knowing how a team is going to line up and stopping it is two different questions. Pep's man management seems spot on. He removed Ronaldinho was he deemed wasn't mentally good enough to be a Barca player and brought through the likes of Busquets and Pedro. His mentality, like all managers, imposes itself onto the players.

I have success playing the same way week-in week-out, and I only ever change formations down to a mad desire to tinker after watching real life football. Right now I am trying to mould my non-league side into a Barca clone with predictable hilarious results. I would, however, like to see a real life tactic thread on this forum. Is seems that talk of that is very niche but I enjoy reading about the tactical side of the game. Does Zonal Marking give enough to the tactic addict?

This thread has at least talked about their tactics, the press seem only interested in controversy and sex-tales rather than the tactical side of the game.

This thread has at least talked about their tactics, the press seem only interested in controversy and sex-tales rather than the tactical side of the game.

That is so correct! Ian Halloway's team plays brillantly also but if he had more quality players at his disposal you would see a lower-table team topping the the league. Roberto Mancini isn't all that good of a manager IMO(but what do I know, I'm only a fan) because he lacks the eye to spot quality players. He has the buy to win now mentality. I admire managers like Wenger, SAF, Mourinho, and Leonardo because of their skills to not just go out and buy players on a whim but to train the players they got and make them fit into their tactics.

i agree pep guardiola is a good manager, but until he has taken an underachieving team to success i wont label him a genius.

See too much emphasis is put on things like this. Yes we are a great team and he inherited great players, but look at what has happened since he took over. We have broken countless records as well as equalled the longest winning streak yesterday, we won the first ever spanish treble, the list goes on.

It isnt like he came in and bought all these players, the core squad is the same as it was when he took over, they are playing the way they are because of the way he is coaching them to play. Just because they werent 4 divisions down means nothing. What he has done is make a great team even stronger, that can often be harder to do than what you think makes someone a 'genius'

95% of the time you see former players go straight in at the top and fall right out the bottom again. The fact that his first role is at such a huge club and he's been successful I think shows that Pep is, if not a genius, then an extremely talented manager who definitely knows how to get the best out of his team.

Archived