Learning curves...

First, can I trouble you with a hypothetical;

A 15y.o. kid wanders into my club, looking for work experience as a janitor. I zap him with my patented manager genetic tester and it says; CA 1, PA 200. I pop him on the training pitch and tell him to have a shot at the goal. He proceeds to break old nanna Smiths glasses, picking up the milk bottle on her front porch behind the corner flag. Annotated, Finishing = 1.

I happen to be good friends with finishing supercoaches Ronaldo, Van Basten and Bergkamp who all agree to train the young lad out in outback Australia for no fee. They also build the best training facilty there is, with shooting training dirrectly linked to facebook through wifi enabled goal-posts.

They agree that his individual focus should be finishing, his main training scheme should only be shooting. They refuse to make him run, header, lift weights or prepare him tactically for matches.

Would it be possible, in this hypothetical, for the young lad to achieve a finishing of 20, starting from 1 (ie. with all possible options made so that he can train in finishing with best coaches and facilities.)?

So, my main question is, at my run of the mill average club, average facilities and coaches (ie. Australia or League 1 or 2 standard), how much can I realistically expect a Striker regen with finishing 8 and say PA 140, and shooting as his focus, for his finishing attribute to improve? Can it be possible to get it to 20?

Cheers

even if all his training was just on shooting I would doubt it as he would gain in other areas by playing 1st team football. You also don't need 20 finishing as other attributes are important. Even more so in lower leagues when pace can destroy teams on its own.

It probably would be impossible, but my question is why would you want to get it to 20 anyway? Let's just say you could get it to twenty, when they guy is at his peak with near 140 CA, because of the 20 finishing, he would have the be lacking in other areas which would make him a very imbalanced player. So while he might be clinical as buggery, he mightn't have the pace, or off the ball ability to ever make his finishing ability count.

Finishing ability is obviously handy in strikers, but it's not the be all and the end all like many might initially think. I personally consider it more of a luxery attribute, that I like to have when I know my side is good enough to create chance after chance for the finishers to score from, otherwise I prefer for my strikers to have more attributes to fit into a more functional tactical role. If your playing as a not so good team, and you try to play with a poacher who is a good finisher, and you don't create any chance for them, they'll perform poorly, get poor match ratings, thus they'll have poor morale, and a cycle of badness will ensue.

Agreed; just wanted to explore the point of how much some attributes can actually improve. I may not necassrily want it at 20, true, but sometimes one gets these regens in dual positions, with great off the ball, composure but poor finishing, and he is a winger /striker. I'm always of the opinion i'll develop him in what he looks to be best in. Not black and white though, that'd be too easy.

Archived