Contracts just don't make sense

I'm managing Liverpool in my second season and david silva has just become available for 6 mil, gerrards out for 6 months so I thought great buy, now he hasn't played a game for an city this season so my bid gets accepted and he's already on 160k a week so I make him an offer of 120 since he hasn't played and a signing on bonus of 2m and the same for his agent plus obvious bonuses, they counter me saying they wanted 300k plus 6mil signing on bones and 6 mil agent fee plus 100 k apperance bonus does this not seem a tad ott?????

If I were Silva, I wouldn't drop my wage by a fourth to join Liverpool either. Did he accept when you offer the same contract as he has with Man City?

players should be willing to accept a wage cut if they're rotting in the reserves. contact negotiations should be tied to professionalism and the amount of minutes a player plays. in my game when city buy a good but not amazing established player it means he's not leaving until his contract is up and is released by the club. even if it takes 2 or 3 years of playing reserves football.

players should be willing to accept a wage cut if they're rotting in the reserves. .

But they dont in real life either.

Look an Newcastle in the year they were relegated - the only reason they ended up with the team that they did is that no one else was going to pay a transfer fee AND 60K a week for barton/smith/coloncini/taylor etc.

If you have already had a good career and someone said heres £200K a week to sit on the bench (and potentially still pick up a winners medal), would you take that, or move to a lower club on 50K a week and win nothing?

No way would Silva take a £40k pay cut to join Liverpool. He wouldn't join them for the same money. He probably only joined City because they were offering him four or five times his current deal.

There are so many of these threads about. How many times do you read about players failing to agree terms with a club? A lot. If you can't bargain him down (Try lowering it beyond what you can offer then increasing it, but also increasing the agent fee at the same time). If you aren't happy with the demands don't sign the players.

Look at Milner, left Villa when they were in a similar position to Citeh to earn an extra £30-40k p/w maybe and has hardly been integral to their team, been played in a position where he wasn't playing when at his best for Villa and will soon be a permanent fixture on their bench/"Elite Development squad" teamsheet AND he was thought of to be highly professional. So offering someone £40k p/w less when they aren't considered to be "highly professional" why would they move for first team football?

To me the bottom line is if their wages demands, bonuses, agent fee etc are all too high for what you're willing to pay them, then don't sign them. Like other people have said, would the player leave one club when earning a certain amount of money (even if he is in the reserves more often than the first team) to go to another club for a less amount even if guaranteed to play in the first team regularly? Unfortunately not because more often than not the players these days are greedy and just want more money no matter what.

In an idealistic world if Silva was on 160,000 a week rotting away in the resreves and a team came in and offered him 120,000 a week BUT would pretty much guarantee him to play in the first team all the time then he would go because he's getting the football and playing all the time but the way it's gone now he wouldn't - he would just think of the money. To me, player wage demands in the game reflect the way they are in real life - they want to get as much as possible wether they get the football or not. I've had plenty of scouting reports on young players (17 & 18) and the wages that some of them would be asking for is even ridiculous.

You are the manager of the club so if the players come away with unreal amounts try bartering them down and if you don't get them down to where you are comfy then just leave them. I would probably have started at 160,000 for the first round of negotiations and see where it would have went from there. Sometimes you can bring the bonuses way down if they get close to the wage they want. Also depends on the agents as well as in if they are decent guys or b*****ds.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bump this older thread, but it really annoyed me that my star midfielder who's on a 140k per week salary and who's contract was expiring wanted an increase of more than 40% (up to around 200k/week and about 5 mil in bonuses) and refused all my attempts to re-sign him for a slight increase (150k/week). He was released at the end of the season and then signed a contract a week later to a club with a much lower reputation and for !gasp! 40k per week (a 70% decrease!!).

This happens to me all the time, but this was the first time where the gap was so big.

Archived