Minimum Fee Release Clause in new contracts

I signed a player from Turkey who had a clause to let him go for £3.5m. When he signed he was 21 and relatively unknown. However he wanted a £3.5m release clause so he got it. Since then he has developed into a world class full back and now wants a new deal which I am happy to give him. We won the league and Champions League since we signed him, although I am Huddersfield Town.

He now wants £125,000 a week after negotiation, which I will pay as he is a top player, but he will not budge on a £3.5m release clause. I understand he may want to join a bigger club, but surely with such a pay rise he should be a bit more understanding on the clause. I've tried offering him other clauses, a better signing on fee, tried to pay his agent more, anything. But he just refuses.

This isn't the first time I've come up against this, is there anything I can do as he is now unhappy and wants a move. I'd only get £3.5m yet his value is £18m.

Try giving him a slight better wage then he asks for? Yeah its already alot but still better then losing an 18 million rated player for 3.5m.. I dont know if it works but i guess worth a try.. Got a similiar situation before but the clause was much higher..

Try giving him a slight better wage then he asks for? Yeah its already alot but still better then losing an 18 million rated player for 3.5m.. I dont know if it works but i guess worth a try.. Got a similiar situation before but the clause was much higher..

it does work, i signed a young CB from spain who wanted a minimum fee release clause of roughly the same i paid for him so i upped his wage a bit and managed to negotiate the release clause to beyond what anyone would be willing to pay for him. Still pretty annoying though.

increase the agents signing on fee and his signing on fee. it has to be a significant increase but if that doesn't work do what wazza said. most of my port vale team wanted minimum release clauses and i managed to bump them all up from 3-11 to +30 million by increasing one or both of the signing on fees. increasing wages should be your last resort.

Cheers it looks like this has been addressed in 11.3, just got to get through the Jan transfer window as he is a world class player for £3.5m, someone could get a bargain. I can't offer more wages as he already wants more then we can pay £165,000 on his first request. I tried offering the agent the max amount but he would not budge on the clause.

Yeah this is UBER annoying.

I recently had to sell My 23 year old superstar CB for £10m because he refused to lower than number in any contract. He joined at 19 for 7.5m and had a £10m min fee in contract but 4 years later with 1 year left on contract he wanted:

220k a week

3.6 sign on fee

4.8 agent fee

£10m min fee

So i'm giving him and his agent 8.4m in fees but he insists on having a £10m min fee whilst he's worth £19m.

Every week a new club bids £10m for him so I have to renegotiate a new contract or he'll leave.

That's a bug, ruins the game... almost unplayable. How can I have to give 8m every week in transfer windows to him to stop him leaving for just £10m. It's f'in stupid.

increase the agents signing on fee and his signing on fee. it has to be a significant increase but if that doesn't work do what wazza said. most of my port vale team wanted minimum release clauses and i managed to bump them all up from 3-11 to +30 million by increasing one or both of the signing on fees. increasing wages should be your last resort.

I use this method as well and 9 times out of 10 it will work.

I have the same problem myself and see it as fairly common.

I have who i think in my save is the best goalkeeper in the world in Tony Manchester (newgen) who started at Cardiff and i signed up for Man City at 20 years old. When he first signed, his minimum fee was 3.5m if memory serves right and he wanted a release clause of 9.75m.

I wasn't too pleased about having to offer it as i was excited and reckoned that my new talent would go on to be a world class 'keeper. Now that he has done, his contract expires in less than 12 months (2025) and the bugger just won't shift from his demand.

I've managed to land him on a new contract. After all, a 9.75m release clause is better than me losing him for nothing at the end of the season. But i also find that it brings a new problem. The guy is probably worth 30m. If he gets unhappy, i fancy playing his under study who i think will be just as good and he plays well so i decide to sell Manchester, i'm going to get the equivalent of peanuts for him!

I've had it before with other players, and can't find a way around it. I've stated on the agents thread words to the effect of, you can take the **** when an agent retires. I really can't wait for that day!

• 5 months later...

Lol it is happening to me now, got a world class ability player (only national reputation) but his agent insists on a £3.5 million release clause. Im trying to re negotiate his contract and also up his agent fee but he just wont budge off.

Archived