Squad Numbers

Enj

Am I the only FMer who is obsessed with his squad's shirt numbers? I always look forward to giving my new players their numbers in my squad, and I hate it when a number doesn't seem to fit with a player's position or name. I also like to use squad numbers as a way of grading my younger players' progress towards the first team - often they start off with some obscure number, say in the 40s or so, and then the closer they get to my first team, the lower the number becomes. I have just had Steven Gerrard retire on my save, and I gave his number 8 to a regen who has made huge strides in the last few years and has previously occupied the 31 and 12 shirts.

I have told all this to my best mate, a fellow FM addict, and he thinks it is just plain weird. Please tell me there are other squad number obsessives out there. Please.

There are loads of people who do this, and many threads come up about it. There was one earlier today about squad numbers, but not so much about being obsessive.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/60028-Will-players-and-regen-develop-preferred-squad-numbers

If you see my post in there you will see I am similar, squad numbers are very important but we differ in that once I've assigned somebody a number they will keep that for the rest of their time at the club. Then if they become a club legend I will 'retire' the shirt, if not I will give the number to a new player or youngster who plays the same position, giving them the chance to fill the boots and shirt of the player before them.

I just follow the traditional 1-11 numbering for my ideal Starting XI, while I still assign players' favourite/trademark number when available.

For numbers outside of the 1-11 pattern it goes like this:

12: utility player

13: rotation defender

14: tall striker

15: all-around midfielder

16-19: other rotation offensive players

20: super-sub poacher

21-22-23 rotation/younger forwards

30-31-32: 2nd choice/late signing keeper

33: either another keeper or rotation fullback

24-29 and 34-onwards it's just half-randomly assigned to youngsters, backups, filler etc...

For very promising youngsters or for late signings (whose "natural" number is taken) I go with YoB shirt number, a la Ronaldinho.

No, you are not alone.

I have so many rules and regulations on this I can't explain them all.

If someone already has a number (1-11) I don't like to change them. However, if a number is free or a player has a number above 11 I will reassign them.

I value my number 7 shirt, and I get 9 and 10 as realistic as possible.

11 is the left winger.

14 is my 3rd best winger.

17 is my 4th winger.

16 is a keane type player. (number 6 takes first choice)

19 and 20 and possibly 21 are for back up strikers.

I number my starting XI with 1-11 as per the English tradition.

2 - 5 - 6 - 3

7 - 4 - 8 - 11

10 - 9

6 is the more mobile defender, while 5 is strong in the air.

4 is a ball-winner or more defensive-minded player, while 8 is more creative and more oriented to attack.

9 is the goal scorer while 10 is the creative forward.

If I play other formations, which I frequently do, I will adjust the numbers but stick to this squad numbering tradition.

Subs are numbered in the same way but with numbers above 11. They still stick to the positional tradition, apart from the goalkeeper who I normally give the number 30 or 31. To explain what I mean, if I fielded a team of second choice subs, they would look like this:

12 - 15 - 16 - 23

17 - 14 - 18 - 21

20 - 19

By the way, I never give out the number 13 shirt.

If I have third choices, they go up to the 20s and 30s but all of the time sticking with the same numbering system.

Is that OCD enough for you OP? :p

Am I the only FMer who is obsessed with his squad's shirt numbers? I always look forward to giving my new players their numbers in my squad, and I hate it when a number doesn't seem to fit with a player's position or name. I also like to use squad numbers as a way of grading my younger players' progress towards the first team - often they start off with some obscure number, say in the 40s or so, and then the closer they get to my first team, the lower the number becomes. I have just had Steven Gerrard retire on my save, and I gave his number 8 to a regen who has made huge strides in the last few years and has previously occupied the 31 and 12 shirts.

I have told all this to my best mate, a fellow FM addict, and he thinks it is just plain weird. Please tell me there are other squad number obsessives out there. Please.

Your not alone my friend.

I keep a first and second 11 for each position, plus one extra goalkeeper, for a total of 23 players in my first team. My first 11 gets numbers 1-11, in the traditional way. My second 11 get numbers 12-23, with the same system for each position as the first 11, with 10 added, like crouchaldinho, except that the full backs are 22 and 23 and the goalie gets 12. My third choice goalie gets 24. Number 13 isn't used.

If any players from my reserves are used in the first team during the season, they get numbers from 30 through 39, given out as needed without regards to position. Any U18 players that are used are similarly given numbers from 40 upwards.

I get very itchy during pre-season before it's time to register numbers. I hate playing friendlies when I have new players signed and the numbers aren't right.

i maintain the original number as long as possible unless the original players move on. So in my game pepe reina is still number 25 and my 2nd choice keeper always has the shirt 1.

secondly i try giving players their preferred number as long as i can. ie no other player of higher status in the squad own that number.

no 12 shirt is always vacant to dedicate it to the no.12 player ---fans.

no 13 is always reserved for 3rd choice goalkeeper if there is any(usually i have)

first team squad own the number starting from 1 to the max without vacant in between (except 12) of course, so if i have 25 first team players, i will have them numbered 1-26(bar12)..

reserve players who will get the chance to play over the course of the season will get number 30,31,32...etc....

no number given to any under-18s until they play some point during the season

key new signing will be given a vacant important number ie 7,8,9,10,11....or some rotation players will get promoted the number if the previous key player leave/retired and no big name signing comes in

I get very itchy during pre-season before it's time to register numbers. I hate playing friendlies when I have new players signed and the numbers aren't right.

I've even gone to the extent of altering the default numbers by switching positions so that if I play friendlies, or international football, or Non-League football, then I have the starting XI numbers as I want it! :D

I've even gone to the extent of altering the default numbers by switching positions so that if I play friendlies, or international football, or Non-League football, then I have the starting XI numbers as I want it! :D

I do this as well! It just doesn't look right ;)

No, OP, you're not the only one. I have a few little things I do with my squad numbers, but nothing as OCD as some of the above posters, hehe.

For example, keepers are numbers 1, 13, 30, or 31. I like defenders to have between 2 and 6 and then some numbers in the teens or high twenties (the best defender gets number 4). The star midfielder or striker gets 10, then I try to assign numbers based on the player's position/personality. Young and fringe players get numbers from 34 to 44 (except 39, which always goes to a striker). Youngsters and reserves who rarely play but who get squad numbers that begin at 50.

I try to assign favorite numbers but I won't change one of my players numbers without a good reason (e.g., if I have a number 10, I won't give Ronaldinho number 10).

I am pretty obsessed too. Even when playing in non league football where I can't decide squad numbers, I always select my players so their numbers will be as follows in a 4-3-3 shape:

2 - 5 - 6 - 3

7 - 4 - 8

11 - 10 - 9

I am easy over which centre back is where, same with the wider forwards. However the holding midfielder must be 4, the centre mid to the right must be 7, and the most central forward must be 10.

1 - GK

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - DM

5 - DM

6 - DC

7 - AMR

8 - MC/ST

9 - ST

10 - Playmaking MC

11 - AML

12 - DR

13 - MC

14 - ST

15 - MC

16 - MC

17 - Favourite ST

18 - DC

19 - ST

20 - DC

21 - Playmaking AM/FC

22 - GK

23 - AMC

24 - DL

25 - MC

26 - MC

27 - AMR/L

28 - DC

29 - AMR/L

30 - ST

31 - GK

32 - ST

33 - DR

34 - GK

35 - DL

36 - DC

37 - ST

38 - DC

39 - DC

40 - ST

41 - GK

42 - ST

This is what I choose:

1 - GK

2 - DR

3 - DL

4 - DM

5 - DC

6 - DC (the better one or my captain)

7 - MR

8 - AMC

9 - ST (main striker)

10 - ST (supporting striker)

11 - ML

12 and 13 are never used

14 - skillful winger

16 - reserve DM

19 - third striker

23 - young up and coming midfielder

30 and 31 - reserve goalies

My squad is looking a little messy now, as I have a few players who were given 30s or 40s as a youngster and have now established themselves in the first team, but my policy is for them to keep their original number for their career. May have to change my policy!

I am pretty obsessed too. Even when playing in non league football where I can't decide squad numbers, I always select my players so their numbers will be as follows in a 4-3-3 shape:

2 - 5 - 6 - 3

7 - 4 - 8

11 - 10 - 9

I am easy over which centre back is where, same with the wider forwards. However the holding midfielder must be 4, the centre mid to the right must be 7, and the most central forward must be 10.

That's all kinds of wrong! :p

2 - 5 - 6 - 3

8 - 4 - 10

7 - 9 - 11

Fixed! ;)

i maintain the original number as long as possible unless the original players move on.

i try and do that, having said that i will wikipedia the team and if i need to move on a CB and get in a younger replacement CB, he will take/inherit that shirt.

if possible they keep their numbers from their old club if they have no preferred number, the only time where they take an existing number if if they are of better quality than the existing player, im obviously not going to deny messi the #10 shirt even if jo-jo mcbobbins happens to have it at the time!

I generally prefer to keep the Squad Number unchanged for players, once given. That means if a a new midfielder was given 47 and even if he proves to be best, I won't change it; until SI agrees with me..... http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/60028-Will-players-and-regen-develop-preferred-squad-numbers

For example if My Listing:

GK: 1,99(start and end); 40 (a Man Utd fan; although i rarely have a 3rd goalkeeper)

RB: 2(Neville), 20 (2+0=2)

LB: 3(Evra), 21 (2+1=3)

DM: 4(Haegraves), 8(Gerrad,B2B type), 16 (Carrick), 24 (Flecther) ((Multiples of 4))

CDL: 5,15,45 (5 and its *3 multiples)

CDR: 6, 23, 33 (sums 6 except 23; as 24 is a 4's multiple)

AMC: 10(EnriqueZove won't explain this), 18 (Scholes), 22 (Looks Good on Kaka)

AMR: 17 (Nani, Ronaldo in national shirt at earlier); 25 (Valencia, letter V), 27 (Next 7)

AML: 7 (Best Inside Forward); 11 (Giggs); 44 (2 Footed Players)

TS,DLS: 9 (Think), 32 (Tevez at United), 77 (7 Again)

FS: 14(Cyruff, Hernandez like Super Sub); 19 (Best Youth Striker; 1+9=10==1); 26,36,39,etc;

Utility Man: 30 (3 Positions,3 Channels or 3 Thirds)

**********************************************************************************

12: Specially Reserved for Loyal Fans

13: A Surplus Talent (Unlucky number so that he fails when i sell him)

For a long, long time I used a strict l-r numbering system on my teams, so 2-3-4-5 was the lb-dc-dc-rb and 6-7-8-9 was the lw-mc-mc-rw with 10-11 being the st-st. I started that way back on CM2 when I was new to team numbers, and have stuck with it ever since. I allowed a bunch of players to have 'auto' numbers in my current squad, but I'll be putting it right next season.

For a long, long time I used a strict l-r numbering system on my teams, so 2-3-4-5 was the lb-dc-dc-rb and 6-7-8-9 was the lw-mc-mc-rw with 10-11 being the st-st.

Pretty much this. I also like 12 to be my sub midfielder and 13 and 33 to be my backup & third-choice keepers respectively. If I have any youth players break into the first team or I need to give them numbers for the cup games or such, I start them from no.40 and work upwards.

Pretty much this. I also like 12 to be my sub midfielder and 13 and 33 to be my backup & third-choice keepers respectively. If I have any youth players break into the first team or I need to give them numbers for the cup games or such, I start them from no.40 and work upwards.

I do the exact same thing. However 9 and 10 are always reserved for my best two strikers. The goalie numbers are extremely vital (1, 13, 33), if they are not right I get very uncomfortable. And 23 is for any super-sub regardless of their position. And 15 is for a good young midfielder. And 21 for a good young striker. And so on... :D Submitting the numbers list can sometimes take a while :D

13 - Second Choice Keeper as a lot of teams in Lower Leagues have

9 - Hitman

10- Playmaker or Creator of Goals

12- Sub Defender or Second choice defensive midfielder

25 - Striker

21 - Third Choice Keeper

34 Upwards - Youth team players

40 Upwards - Unwanted squad members

• 1 month later...

Normally I attempt to get the first team as close to 1-11 as possible.

In my Arsenal game, though, I took away 6 from whoever had it, and will not assign it. Tony Adams was the only real number 6.

Otherwise, I will attempt to assign the numbers as follows:

1: GK

2: RB

3: LB

4: MC

5: DC

6: DC

7: RM

8: MC

9: ST

10: ST

11: LM

12: Defender/Mid

13: GK (Akinfeev wore this for three seasons in my FM10 Man City game, despite being first choice)

14 and onwards, assigned case by case

Has anybody done squad numbering based on name, like Argentina did before?

I number my starting XI with 1-11 as per the English tradition.

2 - 5 - 6 - 3

7 - 4 - 8 - 11

10 - 9

4 is a ball-winner or more defensive-minded player, while 8 is more creative and more oriented to attack.

9 is the goal scorer while 10 is the creative forward.

Thats exactly what I do, including leaving out the number 13 shirt. spooky.

I normally like to have my players with numbers that fit their position, but in my 11.3 game with Barnet I signed Callum Davenport and 10 was the only number left below 25 so I gave him that, intending to change to 6 at the end of the season. He finished the season with an average rating of 8.12 and 7 goals in 14 games (yes, corners. I know) so I decided it would be his number for as long as he stays at the club.

I'm also obsessed with squad numbers. Unless the players have a preferred number, I do this.

GK - 1 or 33

RB - 2

LB - 3

CBs - 4 and 5

CM (defensive) - 6, 26, 28

CM or Attacking midfielder - 10 or 8

Wingers - 7, 27 or 17 (I also give these numbers to any other player who has a key role)

STCs - 11, 12 or any other number up to 30

Some rules:

1- none of my players wear the number 9 shirt. NONE! Not even the least used sub. It has been this way since FM 2008.

2- If I sign Milevskyi, he will wear the nuimber 25 shirt

3- If Akinfeev signs, the 35 shirt is his

Archived