God. I love this game!

Been a regular user of the CM/FM series since 99.

Firstly let me fill you in...

First season with AFC wimbeldon... top of the table for most of the season, Romon Rose with 30 goals! Ended up 4th due to poor form. Lost the semi-final playoff first leg 1-0. Second leg?... Smashed it 7-0!

So then comes the final at the city of manchester stadium... 3-0 up after 30 minutes!... then 3-3 by half time! Talk about drama! We then unfortunatley went on to lose the penalty shoot-out.

So then comes the next season. I try to keep the key foundations of my squad and only make a few transfers, not wishing to disturb the team. 40 games into the second season we're 10th. We need to win each game to get into the playoffs and hope other results go our way...

3-0 win

7-4 win

1-0 Win

2-1 win

3-2 win

2-1 win (97th minute!!)

Once again we storm our way through the semi's and into the final! Surely we cannot lose? We score goals from everywhere despite a frail defence, and the team spirit is amazing. Everyone in everyoneelse's favored personell etc, willing to die for each other!

We get to the final and Shrewsbury take an early lead... We then get a man sent off 22 minutes in. I decided to take a gamble and play with 3 at the back. We make it 1-1 at HT. I then decide it's best if our team fight for the penalty shootout and employ some time-wasting tractics despite being 75 minutes away.

The last minute of extra time Rose does his marker and goes through on goal, i jump up, i scream a bit. Then i hear the groan of the crowd and the chink of the post!

And then once again... we are foiled on penalties.

The range of experiences this game has brought out within me is driving me mad! So, can AFC Wimbeldon make the playoffs for a third time? Despite debts creeping up, a stand being closed due to helath and safety, and players ageing? Who knows, but all i know is... I'm going to enjoy it!

Thank you SI.

A lovely story.

Depends on your mindset I suppose, my favourite match (well, two matches actually) during eight seasons in charge of Newcastle has been CL-matches against Inter. Was 0-3 down, only to fight back and going into second half at home 5-5, me going out on away goals. After banging the woodwork and all that I scored around 85th minute (they, being Italians, had of course parked the tank division)... only for them to score from corner with the last touch of the game.

Good luck next time, you deserve to go up!

Oh, by the way, it's soooo refreshing to hear these hard-luck stories bringing out the best in people and the determination to improve the next season - too many people would have given up in your situation and complained on these forums that the game has a conspiracy against them! Best post I've read in a long time. Do let us know how you get on!

Archived