About Contagious Illnesses (Player suffering from a virus etc.)

Players who are suffering from a virus need about 10 days - 2 week to get better if they are at home and need 5 - 7 days if they are treated at physio. However there is a risk that illness could spread other members of team if they are at physio. So, here is my question:

Why don't clubs just send them to a hospital or give ill players a proper medical care at home ? Don't they have health insurance ?

I firmly belive that players who are suffering from spreading illnesses can be easily cured in a short time without risking other players, what do you think ?

Funny question :)

It's just much more economical to isolate the player in his own home, rather than inocculate every player. But this is just a guess. Not to mention viruses spread quickly.

I usually just leave them as i find it quite funny and challenging to have a flu ridden squad

Come on dude, hardly any professional club thinks economical in that case even if he is not a key player.

I think the point of this is, if the player can be treated quicker by staying at the club, then they should be able to be given similar treatment at home. This would stop the spread and also get them back quicker.

But yeah, how can you get someone back quicker from flu or food poisoning?

This adds a nice tactical decision so I don't want to see it dropped. But I would be in favour of rewording it to "Stay away until fully recovered" or "take a couple of days off and get back to training as soon as possible"l

I've never allowed someone to stay with the squad and never will, don't see why anyone would. I think if someone is ill they should be sent home no questions asked. Remove this IMO.

This adds a nice tactical decision so I don't want to see it dropped. But I would be in favour of rewording it to "Stay away until fully recovered" or "take a couple of days off and get back to training as soon as possible"l

I agree with this, the current set up doesn't make sense.

I'll make sure SI see this thread.

I've never allowed someone to stay with the squad and never will, don't see why anyone would. I think if someone is ill they should be sent home no questions asked. Remove this IMO.

I could see a situation where you might ask them to stay at the club: You play a one-up-front system and your striker is taken ill a couple of days before the cup final. Do you send him home and play your back-up who's been struggling to find the net all season, or do you risk it spreading because the guy's already hit 30 goals in 35 games this season?

That's obviously a pretty specific case, but I would be very surprised if it was the only example people could give

Archived