Weak foot is a nuisance!

I'm sorry about the somewhat provocative title, but I've got to do something to lure you guys in. Anyway, this will not be a rant or anything, just something about the match engine that's really bothering me lately. Or maybe it's my tactics. If it is, be honest and tell me.

To get to my point: Lately I've been watching a lot of games in FM in the "show entire game-mode" so to speak, and I must come to the conclusion that there must be a big flaw in the match engine. Why? Because every single players seems to control the ball after the first touch in such a way that it ends up at their weak foot, meaning that passes and shots aren't as good as they're supposed to be. Especially if you try to play at a high tempo. Players like Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, but also Van Persie and Lampard have (both in FM and in real life) a strong preference for one foot. Meaning, that when they receive a pass, they'll try to position and turn themselves in such a way that after their first touch, the ball is in front of their strong foot, not their weak foot. However, I find that this is not reflected by the match engine at all, even though players DO have a stronger and weaker foot.

And I know there's a "Avoid using weaker foot"-perk, but that actually makes it worse. Why? Well, imagine Beckham receiving a pass at his left foot. In real life, this will mean that he will turn to his right foot or make a first touch with his left and then quickly give the ball a nudge towards his right. But, with the "Avoids weaker foot"-perk, I find that players instead of turning themselves, start to dribble endlessly to be able to get space to play with their favorite foot, meaning a lot of pointless dribbles and loss of possession.

Also: I know for a fact from several interviews that during training sessions players discuss with each other how they want to receive a pass. Ruud van Nistelrooy always says for example that he wants to receive a pass that's as powerful and fast as possible, because it makes it easier for him to hold off defenders. Van Persie likes the ball in his feet, but slightly in front of him so that he's always able to make first time shots and passes. I would think that most players like the pass to be played to their favorite foot. But that doesn't happen in FM at a regular basis.

Am I missing something here? Is there another quality that's relevant to whether a player is clever enough to control the ball with his favorite foot? Or is this indeed, as I think it is, a flaw in the ME? Is the passing and ball control in the ME insufficient? What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

TBH I never noticed that proneness to the weaker foot. I see that my wingers always push to their strongest foot, and my forwards try to, but when they can't they use the weaker foot. I don't watch the entire matches so I don't have the details you do but it seems normal in my save.

Well the problem is not per se that they don't push towards their strongest foot, my point is that when they first control the ball, they don't really seem to take notice with which foot they control the ball first. In a lot of cases they unnecessarily start controlling the ball with their weaker foot, meaning they either slow down the tempo by correcting that during a dribble, or they pass and shoot with their weaker foot meaning poorer results.

Archived