Why is it that you can randomly go through a major bad patch of results?

I've just came out of a 15 match win streak and haven't lost a game in 21 matches... Since I lost I have not won a match in 6 games (3 losses and 3 draws) and these are even against teams in a league down from me. What can I do to stop this? No changes have been made to tactics, no players missing, superb morale, good fitness. What is going on?

That's life. I'm not sure if it's possible but maybe teams can learn your tactics like irl and then adust their tactics to combat this. Or it just could like real life when you don't get the luck. Either way it's what makes FM great :). I've had the same problem on FM11 and it completely messed me up as I didn't know what to do either.

was just thinking about posting this myself. Its driving me crazy. Anyone found some sucesful techniques? Ive only really found changing tactics helps when the news item suggests so. On my league winning season i didnt have to change tactics or have a consistent losing streak?

i switch the highlight speed on to the quickest at times like these. Have you tried putting the match preparation on its highest workload then targeting an area like defensive positioning? It might have played a part in finaly scrambling me a 1 nil win. I went about 6 games losing on the trot! There goes any promotion hopes

Do what RL managers do. Change 2 or 3 position after bad results. Warn a couple of star players to be transfer listed if they continue their run of 6.90 ratings. I am 64 games unbeaten in the league with pretty much the same tactics (the year is 2017). The only thing I did was shouting at my players a lot after they played 1-1 or 1-0 vs much weaker teams.

Sometimes players stop performing for unknown reasons. Sometimes it's because pressure is too high, sometimes it's because they want to be transfer listed (without telling you so), sometimes they played too many games without a rest, sometimes they think the manager hates them (which might be true).

Fiddle around with some settings after a loss. And slowly return to what has worked before afterwards.

PS: If the top 5 player do not have the best avg. ratings in the team something is wrong with them (or their position). This might be a point to start with making changes. I was playing Defour at DM for more than 2 years. He is consistent so he performed at 7.00 in 90% of the games. When I finally changed him to MC (which suits him much better because of his stats) he started performing at 7.2 on average. So if some of your players aren't getting ratings better than 7.0 in more than 3 or 4 consecutive games, you have to either sell them, rest them or change what they are doing. Sometimes it is just bad form and will go away after a couple of weeks in the reserves or the bench.

Happens to me all the time too. The most significant factor, I think, is morale. Losing one game migth drop your morale from superb to good. Now you have even less chance of winning and if you happen to have another poor result the morale will not be great. So the first thing to do when I lose a game is to keep morale high. I'll drop poorest morale players if possible, no matter their skill be it Drogba, Fabregas etc. I'll try to have private chat with some poor morale players also because this will raise morale. This is not always possible however but if you can praise their performance last 5 games etc. it might be worth a try. Also this is the time you need to attend to press meetings and give good answers. Sometimes the "we might lose this" answer actually will raise the morale of the team.

So it all comes down to preventing morale spiralling down for me. If I lose, I'll be extra careful next match. I will play more defensively to make sure I don't lose. In the long term you might want to sell players that don't have as good morale as rest of the team.

It happens, aside from morale, form of players fluctuates and it tends not to be completely random, spiking up and down every game, but a more gentle fluctuation (admittedly I say that without knowledge of how the game is programmed in regards to this). But sometimes you just gotta ride it out.

That said, it helps if you have a decent squad of 20-22 players rather than a strong first 11 and sod all else, you can bring new players in, let your established stars know they aren't un-droppable, that's often the best remedy when it happens to me, although of course a team of 11 comparitive strangers has it's own problems, like everything else it's a balancing act.

There are several things you can try:

1. Demanding more -- "I expect a win"

2. Easing the pressure -- "The pressure is off"

3. Critizing players more in private chats

4. Praising players more in private chats

5. Changing tactics

6. Making sure your tactics remain consistent

7. Rest your out of form striker

8. Stick with your out of form striker until he hits the target

Sooner or later, you'll do one of those things and your luck will change. Then, if you're like me, you'll try to convince yourself that one of the things you did "worked" -- the reality, I suspect, is that these things are random, sort of like when you toss a coin 50 or 60 times, you're going to get a run of five or six heads.

There are several things you can try:

1. Demanding more -- "I expect a win"

2. Easing the pressure -- "The pressure is off"

3. Critizing players more in private chats

4. Praising players more in private chats

5. Changing tactics

6. Making sure your tactics remain consistent

7. Rest your out of form striker

8. Stick with your out of form striker until he hits the target

Sooner or later, you'll do one of those things and your luck will change. Then, if you're like me, you'll try to convince yourself that one of the things you did "worked" -- the reality, I suspect, is that these things are random, sort of like when you toss a coin 50 or 60 times, you're going to get a run of five or six heads.

Haha, that's the way to do it! My 60+ games run came to an end. (I sticked to my striker and lost)

After losing I dropped him to reserve and changed to ultra-defense tactics vs. one of the weakest teams of the league and won. So...

9. Strengthen your defense

10. Try to decide games on the attack

should be added to the list.

I don't think it is completely random though. I think players and tactics have to be changed once in a while.

Archived