Quick question wrt Icelandic names

No, the game doesn't code for it. Also, the traditional Icelandic naming scheme is gradually becoming replaced with the Western one- Eidur Gudjohnsen's father was Arnór Gudjohnsen, for example, not Gudjohn Briansson- so there isn't really a need to.

No, the game doesn't code for it. Also, the traditional Icelandic naming scheme is gradually becoming replaced with the Western one- Eidur Gudjohnsen's father was Arnór Gudjohnsen, for example, not Gudjohn Briansson- so there isn't really a need to.

I dont really know where you got that from, we still use (Father's name)-son for naming, and sometimes the mother's name.

But there is a tradition to have only about 3 name for females and males born in the family and name every child with one of those 3 names, example in my family Torfi, Ólafur and Guðmundur is used for most males born. But this tradition is fading away.

So it's still being used, yay! (I like things like this little uniquenesses). I'm guessing father for sons, and mother for daughters.

No its not like that :p The child [male or female] is almost always named after the father's first name.

But if a child is born outside of a relationship and the father wont be in the child's life he is named after the mother. Because the last name is basically saying: for males "Brians's son" when it's Briansson. Or for females "Briand's Daughter" when its Briansdóttir

Example: so if Jude had a son with no father in the picture, she would name him John Judesson.

Or Sara Judesdóttir if she had a girl.

FM fact: There are two female staffs in FM11, just look up "dóttir" and all the hits with that are females, since only females can get the "dóttir" end in their name. And one of them is not defined as a female in game :p

I'm bad at explaining but I hope it helps :p

I dont really know where you got that from, we still use (Father's name)-son for naming, and sometimes the mother's name.

I know your traditional one is still prevalent, but I know of a few cases where that doesn't exist (as I said, the most famous Icelander doesn't follow that scheme).

I know your traditional one is still prevalent, but I know of a few cases where that doesn't exist (as I said, the most famous Icelander doesn't follow that scheme).

Yeah some families do use the same last name for all of the people born in it. But many of them dont come from Iceland, such as Kjærnested, Hermansen and as you pointed out, Gudjohnsen.

And some families name all the children with the same middle name, called "family names" example: Laxdal, Laufdal, Bergland ect. And unofficially they use it as a last name, but by law the last name cannot be a "family name" so they have x-sson in their name but never use it.

But its not being "replaced" but more like an inside family tradition.

Looking at Eiður's family tree, his great grandfather also has the name ending with Guðjohnsen

So its

1941: Eiður Guðjohnsen

1961: Arnór Guðjohnsen

1978: Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen

I honestly dont know why they are allowed to use that as a last name though.

Edit: Its an accepted family name by the state, thats why they can use it as a last name. I always learn something new :p

Archived