new edition idea - Football manager 1960s

most teams legends are born out of the 60s and absolutly it could run - 70s, 80s, 90s

Anthony you say it may have limited appeal as a quick way to gage interest please post yes or no on this thread if a 60s edition was availible

For me I'd buy 2 as it was my idea :)

Yeh their wages wasn't a factor back then. They didn't earn that much. Hence why players stayed at clubs to get their testemonials, as that was their incentive to play for the club for a long time, a bit of retirement money. It was only in the 90's when Niall Quinn gave his testemonial money to charity that it became the norm nowadays to do that. But All through the 20's to the 90's it was normal for players to stay at clubs all their career to collect their testemonial cash at the end of it.

It would be an entirely new game. Plus we might actually see a testemonial game!

I have always wanted something like this I think it would be great but I'd imagine it would be a nightmare for research as well as coding it to release the newgens in the right era.

I guess the transfer system would need a complete overhaul as well as English clubs weren't exactly buying the foreign imports at the rate they do nowadays

if people want to pay me id be happy to set up a geniune database. have some testors to look for bugs and data error then see how many people we can interest in it. pm me if your interested in doing things like this and you wouldnt have to stop here you could do it any era. the only problem is the date although it would be set back then the date will still say 2010-2011 first season

surley would cost in though as the game wouldnt have a shelf life like the current season updates this could sell for years as it wouldnt go out of date - it would be magic seeing a 16 year old rodney marsh coming through as a wonder kid etc

Rodney Marsh as a wonderkid? That really would be magic! But I don't even think Penn & Teller could make him any good I'm afraid!

The legends wouldn't leave. It wasn't about the money then. They played at the same club to collect their testemonials. That's what they retired on. It was only until the 90's when Niall Quinn donated his testemonial money to charity that it became the norm to do so. Prior to the 90's players were not on great wages, and moving club for money wasn't an incentive mostly.

Read back up the thread it's all discussed earlier.

• 2 months later...

SI actually worked on a Championship Manager Legends game at one point back when they were published by Eidos. I believe they dropped it because it just didn't work. What do you do with regens? Isn't it a bit easy if we all snap up Maradonna the day he's spawned? What about image and naming rights? We're talking about decades worth of stuff here. What if Liverpool ended up in the old Division 4? Would Owen really have come through, once you reach the 90s?

It sounds great, until you sit down to work out the particulars.

edit: plus outside the very top players, how much harder would it be to get decent scouting on all of those players. And how big would the database have to be!

I think this would be fantastic. It's an idea that occurred to me a few years ago when reading this blog (which is a good read btw):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/nov/14/championship-manager-joyofsix-football?commentpage=10#start-of-comments

My comment then still stands:

"I've always thought the only way to encourage longevity and prolonged interest in CM/FM would be to allow a player to start the game in a past decade with the players and competitions as they were then, with the new (real) players appearing as youngsters in the youth teams as they did in reality.

I always get bored with a game after a few seasons, but the chance to manage a team with Best, Pele & Cruyff, or Platini, Maradona & Gullit would surely be of huge interest to people. Being able to pluck a young 15 year old Gazza from the youth team to replace a fading Platini would be pretty good..."

I don't necessarily agree with the comments on this post that it would only have limited appeal.

It would certainly encourage long-term games.

Whilst there might be an element of hoovering up certain superstars, you'd never be able to sign them all, and the fascination would be in the alternate storylines for player's careers.

There are all sorts of things that could be done in addition, e.g. rule changes, league structures, Bosman transfers, tv money not resulting in the Premier League being formed.

There would obviously be difficulties with the research, the sheer amount of data and licensing, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good idea.

I doubt it would ever happen, but if it did I would definitely buy it.

Im not sure that anything the Football manager brand would release would ever have limited appeal - so many loyal fans across the globe

is it possible to do polls on these forums?

FML ring any bells?? That was Sega's thinking but it crashed and burned

Archived